• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/132374-amd-ryzen-9-3900x-ryzen-7-3700x/?page=11
Think about it for a second. An AMD chip pulling a system-wide 143W is able to get pretty damn close to Intel's best mainstream champ, Core i9-9900K, whose having to extract a further 73W when running at its official per-core spec.

Even the 12C24T Ryzen 9 3900X pulls less juice when rendering. Dare we say 'the power of 7nm' one more time?

Providing some insight into temperatures, the Ryzen 9 3900X peaked at 79°C whilst the Ryzen 7 3700X ran up to 73°C during a 15-minute Blender test, with both cooled by a single-fan Noctua NH-D15S air cooler.

Associate
I am unsure how any one can question just how good these AMD chips are. A 3700X beats the 9900K in compute performance in every test i have seen and is so close to the 9900K in gaming that i dont believe for one second anyone would notice the difference unless looking at the actual numbers on a spreadsheet, all with much lower power consumption and considerably cheaper

Associate
I can already see the 'I'm so sorry we made a mistake, would you like to pay an extra 100 quid?' email being sent out from the competitor tomorrow morning. Nothing ventured nothing gained, if they don't honour it I'll bin the order off and go with OCUK.

Associate
I can already see the 'I'm so sorry we made a mistake, would you like to pay an extra 100 quid?' email being sent out from the competitor tomorrow morning. Nothing ventured nothing gained, if they don't honour it I'll bin the order off and go with OCUK.
I pulled the trigger on it after reading their T&Cs. The product is listed as discounted so they can't claim the product was CLEARLY listed below the expected price, as some articles I read have said this is how they could refuse your order.

I have many more bits that I want to buy which I will use OCUK for. Their customer service has never done me wrong. I have already bought some of the parts from them and will continue to do so. In this instance though, it's impossible to refuse the punt on the Taichi.

Soldato

A few places have them for around that price.

Associate
I am unsure how any one can question just how good these AMD chips are. A 3700X beats the 9900K in compute performance in every test i have seen and is so close to the 9900K in gaming that i dont believe for one second anyone would notice the difference unless looking at the actual numbers on a spreadsheet, all with much lower power consumption and considerably cheaper

Yeah woo some competition! Intel will be reducing prices from the sounds of it. I like the fact you can go with a previous gen mobo to get the Zen2 going as a cheaper option, since overclocking doesn't seem to be worth it.

Soldato
I have a mini-ITX rig,and looking at the power figures from a few figures,the Ryzen 7 3700X looks like it consumes very little power:
https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cpus/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-review/8/
https://nl.hardware.info/reviews/93...n-9-3900x-review-intel-voorbij-stroomverbruik
https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/132374-amd-ryzen-9-3900x-ryzen-7-3700x/?page=11

9a302e67-a36f-468a-be7c-4d5211f7a649.png

It consumes less power than a Core i7 8700K!
A big advantage with focusing on IPC instead of clock speed. However, it runs hot so that might be a problem in ITX cases.

Last edited:
Associate
Haven't had chance to read the reviews/watch videos, have any mentioned the latest agesa updates.

There was some suggestion the bios wouldn't be available till launch day, presume reviewers under NDA had access to those ?

Soldato
Soldato
I've priced up a new bare-bones build and it's £1,032! 3900x, Asus Prime, 16GB 8Pac 3600 RAM, £130 1tb NVMe SSD and £50 500GB SATA SSD. When I bought my then the-bees-knees 4770K kit it was only £650 :( PCs have got so bloomin' expensive. I can wait for B550s (hopefully)...

Back
Top Bottom