Litrilly

Soldato
Oh my God, this is litrilly the most worst thing I've like ever read on the Internet, I mean like ever. You get me yea?

Stop watching trash TV and make sure you teach your friends and loved ones to do the same.

Soldato
Dear Miriam,

I have been just like litrilly watching Love Island because my wife is obsessed with it. I can’t help but notice the excessive use of the term “litrilly”, meaning literally. However it is evident from their conversations that the word they should be using is “figuratively”.

I cannot explain why, but the prevalence of this term makes me want to, like litrilly, choke to death on my own vomit.

Will it be an example of one of those evolutions that becomes so prevalent that it ends up in the Oxford English Dictionary?

Please advise on the best course of action that I can take to prevent my own premature death.

Faithfully,
WUT?

Man of Honour
Standards are slipping, and language is lazy,
Watching Love Island, will just make you crazy,
But muting the volume, avoids tears in your hanky,
Litrilly saving it, until you need to... blow your nose.

That deserves applause.

Litrilly :)

"Can I get X?" grates on me. The answer is "no". Some places allow customers to serve themselves in some circumstances, but that's far from the norm and a place that allowed it wouldn't require asking permission. It's obviously not what the person means - what they mean is "Can I have X?"

Top of my list is apostrophes. The rules for the use of apostrophes are almost always so simple in English that anyone who is capable of understanding English at any level past that reasonably expected of a toddler reading "See Spot Run" is also capable of using apostrophes correctly in almost all situations. It's not that they're getting it wrong that annoys me - that's just ignorance. What annoys me is that they are deliberately getting it wrong. Not for effect. Not for some sense of poetic artistry. Not in order to play with language for fun. They don't even know why they're doing it, in my experience.

Soldato
That is literally "reading stuff" and makes literal sense. could i see a cup literally means can i look at a literal cup. You are literally incorrect in any language.

you literally got the wrong end of a stick.

Can i see it... not sure, eyes open?
Could i see it... not sure, did you have eyes open?
Obligatory "English isn't your first language" post..
Silly sausage!

Have a read of this page:
https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/english-grammar-reference/can-and-could

Caporegime
Cheesy I dunno why you are going on about can and could the point was the difference between

Having an item and seeing an item.
If it's a readable item asking to see it makes sense. If it's not, it doesn't make as much sense.

Soldato
Cheesy I dunno why you are going on about can and could the point was the difference between

Having an item and seeing an item.
If it's a readable item asking to see it makes sense. If it's not, it doesn't make as much sense.
Ok, I am so utterly unfamiliar with the practice of asking to see something as meaning "can I have" that I've missed your point.

I've never encountered it, but it does seem odd, agreed.

That said, all the other responses seem to be fixating on the "can I" bit too (and they're all wrong :D )

Soldato
Its how you know you're talking to a moron. Saying literally when its not.

Requirements for love island: Be orange, gloss white teeth, duck lip pout if women, be outragiously dumb.

Back
Top Bottom