Cancun, Mehico - excursions?

Soldato
We're off to Cancun in a few weeks (family of 4) and are thinking of doing a couple of excursions. Has anyone been who can recommend any please?

Also, we know not to book with the reps wrt over pricing, any places we should book from for a better deal? I've heard there is a guy on the beach who books them, but no idea what we should be paying!

We would like to do the Mayan trip - but there are several to choose from :(

Associate
Chichen Itza is the obvious one. Don't plan too much though as if you hit a humid period then the last thing you'll want to be doing is spending a couple of hours on a bus travelling somewhere.

Soldato
There’s load of Cenotes in that area, have a google and see what’s near you.

There’s really busy ones with shops and all that and then more secluded ones which are off the beaten track but quieter.

Snorkels and reed shoes are a must but they’re beautiful :)

I think there’s tours of them, but there’s also the option of hiring a car/taxi/bus to get to them :)

Associate
Just been to Tulum, about 1 hour south of Cancun.

Noted Chichen Itza has been mentioned. There is also the ruins at Tulum if you're into history. I think you can also book snorkelling trips to go the Coral Reef and see the Turtles near Tulum as well. Recommend doing a Cenote dive as well. There's also a water park called Xel Ha - didn't manage to get there but supposed to be good.

One word of advice - the mosquitoes are lethal - make sure you've got some good repellent. The locals use one called "Off" - we bought some after being bitten loads on first day (the missus had about 20 bites after the first evening - would have ruined the holiday if this had carried on).

Soldato
Chichen Itza is the obvious one. Don't plan too much though as if you hit a humid period then the last thing you'll want to be doing is spending a couple of hours on a bus travelling somewhere.
This! Although I don't think you can enter anymore? Still very worthwhile daytrip. Cenotes as well.

Soldato
Chichen Itza, snorkelling on the reefs(good while hot), Tulum, Xcaret and Xel-Ha. The problem with 'guys on the beach' is you take a chance of being ripped off. If you do, ask around, people who have been there a week already are a good source of info and should be able to help.

Soldato
OP
The resort want $123 per person - bus and entrance fees, apparently kids are 2 - 11 and so we need 4 x adult tickets!

Found a guy with excellent reviews and it would be a private trip including entrance fees, breakfast, lunch, snacks, beer, wine, water, soft drink etc, which would be $165 per person - not sure as that's quite an expense (in my opinion anyway).

Last edited:
Soldato
I live in Mexico and visit Cancun a lot. Whilst it's a stunning place to visit, when you consider how much things generally cost in Mexico, the prices charged for tours / restaurants / attractions etc are utterly ludicrous. Be prepared for virtually every person you encounter to have the sole aim of getting as much money out of you as possible, and definitely avoid any tours sold by agents in the street / airport / hotel etc. Airbnb can be a pretty good place to find excellent tours that won't rip you off: they don't just do holiday rentals nowadays. Friends have had decent success with TripAdvisor too. Neither of these will be cheap, but they probably won't cost more than anything you'd find when you're there, and they're a lot safer and more regulated.

If you're a confident driver, I'd hire a car and visit Chichen Itza, ideally at night for the "noches de kukulkan" light show which is stunning. You'll get a great view of the stars too. The car will allow you to visit some of the cenotes which are a little more off the beaten track, which is a far more authentic experience than the ones the tours tend to go to. The Tulum ruins are great too, and there's a beautiful beach nearby which is well worth a visit. Beyond that, the main things to do in Cancun are adventure parks, boat trips etc. When I go, I tend to book a nice hotel on the beach and spend most of my time there: if you want to really get to know Mexico, Cancun isn't really any good, so you might as well go for the "all inclusive" American style experience.

The guy above who mentioned the "Off" mosquito repellent is spot on: I have about 20 bottles of it around the house and it's by far the best I've used.

Soldato
OP
@geekman - DM'd!

Bought some Off and checked out the AirBnB excursions as recommended. These seem to be around £80 per person, but buses as oppose to a van/private tour and some exclude entrance fees and food/drink. So i am beginning to think that the price we were quoted was on the higher side, but for everything included and private transport - it may be the way to go (they've also been back in touch and offered to do the daughter at child prices so $580 total).

Associate
The Mosquito repellant "Off" was about 8 quid a can in Mexico (at the hotel - we were in a large all inclusive resort so nowhere near any local supermarkets). One can lasted about two to three days between 4 of us (being applied very generously!!).

Commissario
We booked a few excursions direct with TUI (who we booked our holiday through), granted they were a bit pricey but for a full day out to Tulum, or Chichen Itza, or cenotes and high ropes through jungles it was worth it. Drank a lot of tequila on the bus to Tulum too!

Associate
Xplor!! I ruined one of there off-road buggies. I thought I was supposed to be keeping up with the quad bike that checks the track is clear in front and stoved it into a tree, bending the front corner into the wheel. They didn't seem to mind and went and got me another one.

Xcaret is good to make sure you stay for the show in the evening tho!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Xplor!! I ruined one of there off-road buggies. I thought I was supposed to be keeping up with the quad bike that checks the track is clear in front and stoved it into a tree, bending the front corner into the wheel. They didn't seem to mind and went and got me another one.

Xcaret is good to make sure you stay for the show in the evening tho!

We had to stop for 10 minutes while the staff removed a big ass python from the track, she was an impressive beast. I enjoyed Xplor, you see quite a lot of nature, especially zipping along the 750m zip wire above the trees. The underground swim was especially epic, so beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom