• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to Cut Prices of its Desktop Processors by 15% in Response to Ryzen 3000

Soldato
It seems Intel is cutting the prices due to CPUs being used for a multitude of tasks.
However, gamers are the ones really benefiting from the price cut because it's not needed.

Having the fastest hardware has never being about value and the 9900k is still the best gaming cpu - so if all people did was play games, the 9900k doesn't need a price drop.
But given that there is a 15% price drop coming, those who only game get some nice value out of it.

That will probably eroded away over the coming months.

There are only a few scenarios that make sense for performance to erode. (ignoring security patches and other self nerfs)

* THere are bios, windows and/or other software issues that constantly plague the system and Ryzen 3000 gains performance as these are fixed.

* Once the above software issues are fixed, Ryzen 3000 learns how to overclock

* Games require more than 8 cores - in which case only the 3900x and 3950x benefit, while AMD's own 8 or less core CPU's lose performance rather than gaining. I don't see this happening, as AMD has already locked in 8 cores being the base level for the next 7+ years across the multi-platform gaming industry.

Caporegime
It seems Intel is cutting the prices due to CPUs being used for a multitude of tasks.
However, gamers are the ones really benefiting from the price cut because it's not needed.

Having the fastest hardware has never being about value and the 9900k is still the best gaming cpu - so if all people did was play games, the 9900k doesn't need a price drop.
But given that there is a 15% price drop coming, those who only game get some nice value out of it.

There are only a few scenarios that make sense for performance to erode. (ignoring security patches and other self nerfs)

* THere are bios, windows and/or other software issues that constantly plague the system and Ryzen 3000 gains performance as these are fixed.

* Once the above software issues are fixed, Ryzen 3000 learns how to overclock

* Games require more than 8 cores - in which case only the 3900x and 3950x benefit, while AMD's own 8 or less core CPU's lose performance rather than gaining. I don't see this happening, as AMD has already locked in 8 cores being the base level for the next 7+ years across the multi-platform gaming industry.

Did you copy that from Intel somewhere? serious question because it looks like Intel PR excuses for maintaining what was already over priced before Ryzen 3000.

Permabanned
Nice, looks like it's almost time to upgrade from my i7 4970K / GTX1080 system.

The question is do I go with Ryzen or stick with Intel once the prices drop.

It's nice to have a choice for once... :)

Man of Honour
(ignoring security patches and other self nerfs)

In the longer run Microsoft and Intel will probably move towards a whitelist style approach to security for a lot of these issues until they release hardware which isn't vulnerable - so that performance can be brought back mostly for many applications rather than the blanket approaches needed at the moment such as wholesale disabling HT in a secure environment, etc.

Soldato
Only and only if Ryzen 3 series out sells intels equivalent offerings by a huge margin will Intel back down with a good price drop. Intel had it good for far too long and those who are in control of the retail pricing need to take a good look in the mirror. Ryzen was coming and all Intel did was to continue to up thier prices as their arrogance has grown in the last decade. 9900k may well be the better gaming chip but the cost to the consumer against Ryzen competitor is quite laughable now. Time will tell ...
I always go for the best available (Intel last 14 years) but the price difference is too much for anyone with a logical mind to ignore.
If I needed a high quality chip to game and encode video. AMD all the way.

Soldato
Only and only if Ryzen 3 series out sells intels equivalent offerings by a huge margin will Intel back down with a good price drop. Intel had it good for far too long and those who are in control of the retail pricing need to take a good look in the mirror. Ryzen was coming and all Intel did was to continue to up thier prices as their arrogance has grown in the last decade. 9900k may well be the better gaming chip but the cost to the consumer against Ryzen competitor is quite laughable now. Time will tell ...

Intel might just cut production. They are so far behind the 9900k would have to priced close to the 3600X.

Soldato
It won't amd fanboys said that about the 2700x never materialised.

If they did say that then they was obviously wrong, Zen+ was just Zen with a few tweaks on a slightly smaller process. With Zen2 however it's a new architecture so there will be improvements to be made at a bios/firmware, and then driver/scheduler, level.

Soldato
It won't amd fanboys said that about the 2700x never materialised.

I'm not sure how many people said the 2700x would ever match the 9900K. The clock deficit was massive and it was way behind in CPU limited game scenarios (which I'm sure you've heard people say was overblown).

The 3700X and 3900X are also behind, but do also have far less to make up if they can and a few percent here or there can shake things up. Then the 9900K always has the trump card that is can overclock to 5ghz so it is potentially a bit moot anyway.

The 9900K is the best gaming chip out now and likely will be for the rest of this year. But this time around that difference isn't really going to be preventing people from running at 120hz which made it very noticeable before in real world scenarios.

OcUK Staff
I can’t see Intel doing anything as I said earlier, 9900K sales went up over weekend, nothing compared to AMDs numbers but shall be interesting to see how sales compare between the two once hype dies down.

For now Intel sales remain strong and if anything have increased a little and as others said if your a gamer who demands the very highest FPS in games and everything else is not as important and don’t stream then Intel is still hard to beat especially 9700K and 9900K.

Back
Top Bottom