• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
@BoomAM I found this on this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXbCdGENp5I&t=10s

Because is 3:30am here, and had few drinks tonight, I do not remember your board, but if you have ASUS ones, it might be their usual overzealous approach on power delivery :D
It is indeed an Asus, an X470-F Strix.
Interesting find though, hopefully a bios update will sort it and it wont damage the CPU in the interim.

Soldato
Derbauer's video is extremely good - but very negative on the clocks achievable. It will be really interesting to see if he does an overclocking guide on the effect of memory. It really doesn't look like we are going to see anything much north of 4.4ghz on these chips. They are still a pretty incredible achievement. The 9900k is still the current gaming king, but it would be hard to recommend one over the 12 core if you are looking at a PC for the next few years, especially when there is so little difference now between gaming at 1440p and north.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Derbauer's video is extremely good - but very negative on the clocks achievable. It will be really interesting to see if he does an overclocking guide on the effect of memory. It really doesn't look like we are going to see anything much north of 4.4ghz on these chips. They are still a pretty incredible achievement. The 9900k is still the current gaming king, but it would be hard to recommend one over the 12 core if you are looking at a PC for the next few years, especially when there is so little difference now between gaming at 1440p and north.

There has been people hitting 4.6ghz on 3700x and 3900x on older motherboards and non X570 release bios though. I think that the ruzen 7 and Ryzen 9 4.6ghz will be the norm for overclocking though obtaining the amd boost clock on amd would be possible with bios tweeks etc.

Your right that intel are still faster at lower resolution but that’s only with the top gpu not a midrange gpu that most would pair with let’s say a 3600 or 3700. Having a intel cpu doesn’t always mean that it’s the best for gaming . But the top spec pc i7 and i9 will be better but why spend 1k+ on a gpu and game at 1080p :)

Associate
Looking at reviews for the Ryzen 3000 series, it looks like performance is about on par with the 8700k in games (such as Total War: Warhammer II). Or, am I wrong about that?

Soldato
Looking at reviews for the Ryzen 3000 series, it looks like performance is about on par with the 8700k in games (such as Total War: Warhammer II). Or, am I wrong about that?

IIRC Ryzen 3000 generally beats a stock 8700k, but some games are still under stock 8700k performance. Once you overclock though, that's a different story and the 8700k takes the lead. What you'll find is a 5ghz 8700k is on par in almost all games with a stock 9900k and a stock 9900k is about 10% faster in games than Ryzen 3000 on average.

As for Ryzen 3000, overclocking is either pointless or not working as intended - waiting for newer motherboard BIOS since some people think the latest mobo BIOS' are broken.

So it remains to be seen how well ryzen 3000 will overclock and if it can gain more performance in the real world.

Associate
I found a useful website that lets you see what performance would be like with various CPUs and GPUs for specific games. Here's an example for Warhammer II:

https://www.gpucheck.com/game-gpu/t...rtx-2080-ti/intel-core-i7-8700k-3-70ghz/ultra

They've added Ryzen 3000 CPUs too (click show all button).

If you click on the Cards tab, you can choose a benchmark for a specific game. On each game it shows performance for that GPU, when used with different CPUs.

EDIT - Results are just estimates it seems "We have sophisticated algorithms that have been carefully designed to produce 90% accurate estimates of gaming performance based on analyzing over 70,000 benchmark tests"

Last edited:
Associate
I wonder if we will see an AMD card that can offer RTX 2080 performance in 2019? I thought we might hear something about the NAVI 5800/5800 XT today, but maybe it's been delayed.

TrM

TrM

Associate
I wonder if we will see an AMD card that can offer RTX 2080 performance in 2019? I thought we might hear something about the NAVI 5800/5800 XT today, but maybe it's been delayed.

Radion vii is the closest amd have to 2080 why bring a 5800xt vs there own card ? I doubt we will see a 5800 series or enless they beat and retire the radion vii

I think a 5600 series is more likely to happen vs the 1660ti and stuff as the Rx 590 is the oldest gpu they have and amd does not have ther main market they have held for so long sawn up

TrM

TrM

Associate
Well, maybe they won't make any more Radeon VII's, they never produced many in the first place and they are super expensive.
That 16gb of vram gotta cost a fortune really but they would have to retire it for a 5800 to make sense since atm radion vii is 2080 Xt is 2070 and 5700 is 2060 just lower amd need and something to take on the 2080ti but I’m not hopeful on that one

Associate
Associate
Looks like that boost issue was much ado about nothing.

Terns42.png
D-6g4r8U8AACahr.jpg:large

Back
Top Bottom