• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
If that is the case, it really is a terrible blunder from AMD and the board partners because higher clocks obviously = higher performance in most cases and as we all know, the majority of people looking to buy these CPUs will make up their minds from the first round of reviews, not a second round in a month's time. They've had long enough to sort out BIOS problems etc. with a July launch and experience from Ryzen 1 and 2.

Could be nonsense though, I'm not buying expecting some unicorn performance boost down the line, although it'd be nice. ;)

Lots of things seem to be broken it seems, like the windows scheduler could still not be correct as pointed out by 3900x testing when its jumping across CCX's etc, could be a number of things with the BIOS, chipset drivers etc as well, its a proper mess and your right AMD had enough time to get this stuff sorted for a polished launch, but its AMD and we all know how they like to sabotage their own launches lol

Soldato
Der8auer had a little table of maximum clocks he could get for 12 CPUs, and for the R7 3800X and it was "typically 4.4 GHz". Basically AMD's advertised boost clocks are theoretical maximums that you'll never see in reality. Very shady stuff to be honest, and it means that an R7 3800X ain't gonna do much more than an R7 3700X (100 MHz difference in maximum boost clocks).

I've decided to wait and see if this turns into a real issue or not. While 3000 series are a great jump on earlier ryzens and are good value for money mostly the boost issue seems off.

Associate
Looks like that boost issue was much ado about nothing.

Terns42.png
D-6g4r8U8AACahr.jpg:large

That should more or less settle it. These chips don’t have headroom. I’m sure bios and game engine optimizations will help overall performance but there won’t be some secret sauce to big OC gains on core speed.

I’d still recommend a 3900x to someone over a 9900k because I do think it’ll come into its own in a couple of years as next gen consoles arrive.

Until then the 9900k will not just be faster but consistent from game to game. The consistency is an area where AMD need to improve on for sure.

Associate
Has any reviewer done undervolting testing yet?

Yeah bearded hardware was doing a livestream yesterday. The bits I caught were that voltage scaling on the chip was really bad but undervolting did not boost anything. As you’d expect letting bios control voltage wasn’t a great idea so like with most things you can tune manually but he was needing something like 1.45 to get 4400 all core on a 3700x.

The stream should be a video on YouTube you can catch.

He will be doing mem overlocking tonight on his livestream.

That should more or less settle it. These chips don’t have headroom. I’m sure bios and game engine optimizations will help overall performance but there won’t be some secret sauce to big OC gains on core speed.

I’d still recommend a 3900x to someone over a 9900k because I do think it’ll come into its own in a couple of years as next gen consoles arrive.

Until then the 9900k will not just be faster but consistent from game to game. The consistency is an area where AMD need to improve on for sure.
You're misinterpreting that image.
Precision Boost 2 is not Precision Boost Overdrive.
Precision Boost 2 defines normal operating behaviour within warranty, i.e. within the set limits for power and current.
Precision Boost Overdrive overrides the limits completely, with new limits set based upon the motherboard capabilities.
That we are only seeing results that fall within PB2 behaviour is a clear indicator that PBO is not operating properly.

Associate
Well I know there’s been some negative comments regarding the gaming performance but in reality it’s next nothing as far as I can see. Coming from my 1600 to any 3000 CPU looks like it’s going to be a cracking upgrade so thumbs up from me.

Does feel like it might be worth hanging on a few weeks to let the dust settle and any potential BIOS/chipset driver oddities get resolved though. I’m in no rush my 1600 is still ticking along nicely!

Associate
Does feel like it might be worth hanging on a few weeks to let the dust settle and any potential BIOS/chipset driver oddities get resolved though. I’m in no rush my 1600 is still ticking along nicely!

Yeah that's what I am planning to do however I won't cancel my 3700X pre-order

Back
Top Bottom