• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 3000/Zen 2 review thread

Soldato
seriously considering updating one of my rigs to a 3700x for a play what mobo ans ram to go with it though. not a 570x as dont like the fan or the price of them currently. fan goes your left with a waiting to be dead mobo. so which mobo do you pick ?
MSI's B450 Carbon would be certainly good bang per buck choise.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-33s-ms.html
It has BIOS flashing without CPU and VRM is OK and especially its cooling isn't sabotaged by plastic garbages like in most mobos.

Challenge/problem in almost every X470 board is that you can't flash BIOS without supported CPU.

Soldato
https://www.xanxogaming.com/reviews...w-english-dethroning-the-intel-core-i9-9900k/
While memory support seems to be this time working without any notable issues, BIOS/drivers don't seem fully mature yet.

Or who knows if that WHEA error is caused by Nvidia's drivers.
They aren't any more shier to use dirty tricks than Intel.

The PCIe error doesn't exist with AMD cards though, allowing them to do full boost. So is either issue with BIOS to be resolved, or Nvidia drivers and got knows when that will be resolved.

Also AMD asked to use the 0666 version of the BIOS for ASUS cards, while ASUS went and created a new version of BIOS vigorously applying extra voltage and making PBO overclocking on Asus cards unstable.
Though nothing new from ASUS, if we remember the initial 8700K reviews....... :D

Soldato
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-33s-ms.html
It has BIOS flashing without CPU and VRM is OK and especially its cooling isn't sabotaged by plastic garbages like in most mobos.

Challenge/problem in almost every X470 board is that you can't flash BIOS without supported CPU.

TBH for the price you get an Asrock X570 for bit extra. The B450 Tomahawk on the other hand, is the best cheap solution.

Soldato

My wife is keen to upgrade her i5-2500K (stock) system and the MSI B450 Gaming Carbon Pro + R7 3600 seems perfect for her. I'll play with my rig so that hopefully I can get hers up and running quickly when we order it in a week or two. :)

Soldato
Also AMD asked to use the 0666 version of the BIOS for ASUS cards, while ASUS went and created a new version of BIOS vigorously applying extra voltage and making PBO overclocking on Asus cards unstable.
Though nothing new from ASUS, if we remember the initial 8700K reviews....... :D

Yes. Hardware Unboxed's Steve killed his 3900X on a board but didn't say which. My money was on the Crosshair for the above reasons but then I've seen Optimum Tech state that the Godlike had the 3900X at 1.5v at idle lol. Suppose we'll find out in time but clearly BIOS issues for different reasons all around.

Soldato
Another reviewer that emphasized that the tighter frame times of the Ryzen gives a better gaming experience.

Yeah, funny though, the same can be said for the 5700XT. The 0.1% and 1% lows are way higher than it's direct competitors (1080ti & 2070S) on some Nvidia games like the F1 2018 where the difference is 20-30FPS!!!
Yet people squabble about the 8fps less on average!!!!! (at over 150fps range).

Soldato
Soldato
What did you notice an increase in please?

Game performance. Especially as you have a 2080ti you need as many fps as you can get. I think it's defo more worth you upgrading than it is me. And I am still looking at upgrading my 2700x.

Have a look at benchmarks and reviews. Max frames are up and most importantly the minimums are up in some game especially Tomb Raider.

Have a look at as many reviews as you can to get an idea.

Soldato
Any reviews yet of Zen2 on B350? Wouldn't mind a simple upgrade like 3700x from R5 1600, although realistically I'll probably wait for a price drop as the chips with 8+ cores are pretty expensive considering they haven't dominated in gaming as much as was originally hoped. I think they've missed a trick really, they need an 8c chip under £300 (bearing in mind 2700 is only £180) so a 3700 with lower clockspeed but overclocking potential might have gone down well.

I'd have bitten at £250 for an 8 core.

Soldato
@CAT-THE-FIFTH

Might be worth adding this to the OP, it's a good read from The Stilt: https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1728758-strictly-technical-matisse-not-really.html

Regarding review differences where the motherboard was an ASUS Crosshair VIII:

The Stilt said:
AMD supplied four different motherboards to the media, one from ASRock, ASUS, GIGABYTE and MSI. In case of the ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi motherboard, the media was instructed to use 0066 bios build, which had been vetted and approved by AMD. However, newer bios builds were available and ASUS has also (allegedly) told the media to use those versions. What exactly has transpired here is still under investigation, but regardless of the actual reasons behind it, the consequences might be rather significant. In practical terms, all reviews which were done on ASUS Crosshair VIII Formula or Hero motherboards using other than 0066 bios build must be considered invalid, at least partially. Reviews using other ASUS motherboard models (not provided by AMD) are under suspicion as well.

The external power measurements (VRM DCR) revealed that the CPU was consuming significantly more power, than its power management should have allowed it to. I initially suspected that this was AMDs own doing, in an effort trying to boost the performance of the new CPUs even further, but further investigation indicated otherwise.

AMD had no part in it, and the actions by ASUS are the sole reason behind it. The investigation revealed that ASUS is altering one or more power management parameters of the CPU, causing it believe it consumes less power than it actually does. As a result, the frequencies will be higher than the actual power budget would normally allow to. Tricks like this are pretty much a common (mal)practice these days however, there is a good reason why this must be considered worse than the others: this "thing" is completely undetectable without external measurements and rather deep knowledge, but also there is no way to disable it either.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
What did you notice an increase in please?

As someone who upgraded from a 1700X to a 2700X I can confirm there was a noticeable improvement in VR by around 15%-20%. I also game at 4K resolutions and I saw the minimums for my (then) Vega 64 improve. I have now ordered a 3800X and expect/hope) to see another improvement in VR due to IPC and latency improvements.

I do a lot of productivity work and I went with 3800X because I want simple plug and play with good results and no need for tweaking. The higher TDP will allow the 3800X to maintain higher all core boost compared to 3700X. This was the case with 2700 vs 2700X which had a similar TDP difference. Though I expect the difference not to be so pronounced with the 3700X vs 3800X.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-2700/16.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom