Coping with loss of parent..

Soldato
I do hope that Justintime and the others are doing better especially as it was nearly a year ago.

I heard someone say that grief is like a hole in the ground that you can fall into and not get out of but over time that hole gets smaller. You can still fall into it but it can be easier to get out of.

(Shameless plug for The Rookie Sky Atlantic.)

Permabanned
Lost my dad just before xmas 2017.
Same thing heart failure my brother found him dead in his chair. Seeing him like that still haunts me.

76 the rolling stone was. had such good banter with him.

Live and die its Just a part of life.

Soldato
Bit surprised this thread is still floating around. I hope it's a testament to the fact that things get easier over time. :)

People live on in our memories. o/\o

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I lost my bro in 2013 after a battle with Kidney and liver issues at the age of 26, I was with him during his last moment in hospital and i was present when we gave him the final wash before burial (muslim ghusl). It does get easier, but it never goes away, for the 1st 2 years any mention of him would hurt me inside, but now im at the stage that i only focus on the good things/moments.

A close friend of mine lost his daughter last week and i honestly cannot imagine losing one of my kids. The guy is a very quiet person and doesnt have many friends, and whats worse is that hes split with his wife aswell. I think he should talk to somebody, but im not sure how to bring it up with and who he should talk to.

Soldato
I lost my grandfather who I was really close to and my father within the space of 6 weeks just over two years ago. Yesterday I had a moment where I felt myself getting emotional whilst I was gardening, something my grandfather loved to do. Just a flash of a memory made we wobble a bit. Yes things get easier over time, but there will still be those moments where it hurts a lot and this is speaking as a 37 year old man.

Man of Honour
I am sincerely sorry for your loss. No matter what people say, it is life changing. You may never get over it. However, you learn to accept it and cope better.

I lost a dear friend of mine when I was 18 to a car incident. It took me years to get over it (if I ever did). It changed my perception of cars to this day. Personal life experiences (good and bad) prepare you though life. I thought I became a little hardened to bereavement because of the experience of this stage in my life.

Two days before Christmas 2016 I lost my mother to Bowel cancer. I was lucky enough to spend some time with her before she died and helped with her end of life care. I guess I kind of accepted hear passing beforehand. For this reason I found it very difficult to grieve or show any emotion afterwards. I have never cried to this day and couldn’t understand why. To be honest, the priority shifted towards my dad who then became ill himself so there was no room or time for her bereavement.

I finally got to speak to someone about it a few weeks ago, only by chance. She said it’s perfectly normal not to have shown the kind of emotion that some people expected from me or otherwise would have shown.. Maybe one day it will come out, when I least expect it. Some people go through the stages of change quicker than others and acceptance is, for a lot of people a stage where most people take longer to overcome. I’m the same with most things. So it wasn’t that I became hardened to bereavement, it was because I accepted it quicker..

Since my mother died, I moved my dad nearer to my home to help care for him. It’s been an upward struggle ever since as he relied so heavily on my mother.. Since then he’s had a kidney failure and a serous stroke inside the same year. This is what I mean about one way or another, the loss of a friend or family is life changing

All the best to everyone who has lost someone close or dear to them.

Soldato
glad you're feeling better, must be such a hard thing to go through
i'm spending as much time with my parents as i can. thoughts of losing them are not nice but as you get older they are thoughts that come up

Soldato
I lost my mum suddenly at the age of 53 over 25 years ago and I still have episodes of overwhelming grief. These mainly revolve around my only daughters achievements, as I know my mum would have been as proud of her as myself. I'm now 57 and my daughter 24 but I've a feeling this sort of thing will be around for the rest of my days. My dad took my mum's death very badly but he eventually got over it and has a new circle of friends. He called yesterday and for the first time I thought he looked a little frail. He found his only brother, my uncle dead at home 4 months ago and I'm sure that's taken its toll, so I'm keeping a close eye on him from now on.

Man of Honour
I finally got to speak to someone about it a few weeks ago, only by chance. She said it’s perfectly normal not to have shown the kind of emotion that some people expected from me or otherwise would have shown.. Maybe one day it will come out, when I least expect it. Some people go through the stages of change quicker than others and acceptance is, for a lot of people a stage where most people take longer to overcome. I’m the same with most things. So it wasn’t that I became hardened to bereavement, it was because I accepted it quicker..

From my experience I won't say it becomes easier but I think after the first time you lose someone close it tends to come easier to put the feelings in a box mentally and value those that are close to you the more while they are alive and dwell more on the good memories over outright grief after they've gone. I also find it very varied how it hits that doesn't correlate at all to how close someone was though how suddenly it happens tends to have some impact :(

Still I'm dreading the first time it happens with immediate family :( I lost several school friends fairly early on and some relatives who were close who have left a hole - but it isn't the same as immediate family.

A close friend of mine lost his daughter last week and i honestly cannot imagine losing one of my kids. The guy is a very quiet person and doesnt have many friends, and whats worse is that hes split with his wife aswell. I think he should talk to somebody, but im not sure how to bring it up with and who he should talk to.

Really tricky one - someone I worked with for a few years up until last year committed suicide couple of weeks back - I don't know the actual detail but he left to take time from work due to about to become a father and from what I can put together looks like his child was stillborn and his partner then left him. Though it hasn't really hit me it depressed me more than some closer losses as it seems so tragic and I'd only past the guy in the street a few weeks ago and said hello.

EDIT: Was wrong - found out today he left behind a month old baby :(

Last edited:
Soldato
It's tough in the initial few years, lost my Dad to heart failure at the age of 56, back in 2010. At the time, there was so much going on, that I didn't have much time to grieve; I did crack later in the first day though - drop somewhere secluded and just gave in; the words of the Doctor still ringing in my ears.

As the years go by, I find that I think of him less, as life truly goes on. Odd things can sometimes set me off - usually songs he would sing or listen too; Elvis is a sure fire winner for bringing on the tears though, even ~9 years later.

Wishing you all the best though OP, it's one of the ******* things we have to deal with in life, but you get through it.

Associate
Luckily my parents are still here but both of my granddads are gone. One when I was 15 to bowel cancer. I used to play with him a lot as a kid. Still miss him loads and can tell my mum does. My other granddad died a few years ago. I wasn't as close with him as he was deaf. It wasn't easy to communicate. I missed his funeral because I was seriously ill sadly. Really wish I had gone. Miss him still. I cried loads.

I think having children or children in the family helps. When you see young ones coming into this world and growing up it makes the deaths not as bad because at least there is someone to replace them. But at the same time my granddads would have loved my nephew.

I now spend more time with my grandma and granny. One has dementia and the other Alzheimer's.

Don't know how I will cope when my parents go. I am close to them and see them every few days and phone them up every day. Maybe the inheritance will help. Ha

Caporegime
Harder said than done, man up for what ?

Emotion is a very complex attribute in people. If you need to show emotion then do, don't be ashamed to cry.

Only real men cry. ;)
Couldn’t agree more.

Said from the context of a 48yr old 18St trucker who’s been around the block too many times! :o

All this “man up” **** is just that, complete ****!

OP, Truly sorry for your loss. :(

Back
Top Bottom