Best printer for occassional printing £100 or less?

Soldato
So I need a new printer, something that isn't going to dry up through lack of use and not cost the earth to run when I do use it. I don't bother printing pictures however a scanner for documents is imperative.

I've been looking at the Brother DCP L2530DW as it has seemingly great reviews but is really a bit more than I was wanting to spend on something that will only get used now and again. I've also looked at the Pixma MG 5750 but am never going to print pictures at home.

What do you guys think?

Soldato
The first thing I'd suggest is that if it's only for occasional use then I'd steer clear of inkjet and definitely go for a laser printer!

I've lost count of the number of inkjet printers I've had over the years that I've ended up replacing because the jets got clogged up beyond repair/cleaning!

I've gone for a mono laser 3-in-1 and it's the best decision I ever made for occasional use because it just sits there happily without drying out!

The question is whether you can live with mono - there are occasions when I miss having colour but I have access to one at work so it's no great hardship!

Personally I've got a Samsung M2070W and it's great!

Soldato
One of those weird situations where you can buy a Samsung/Brother mono laser or similar for ~£50 and then spend almost as much replacing the toner/drum so just buy another printer :)

Had a Samsung mono laser sat on the shelf for several years and it gets used maybe 2 or 3 times a year no problem.

Soldato
I guess it down to cost and if you want to stick with inkjet or go laser, personally I find laser printers expensive to inkjet, yes you don't have the clogged nozzles issues, but printers like MG5750 or in my case I just purchased a new Canon 3 in 1 TS5050 printer to replace my old MG6250 for under 45 quid.

Ink is cheap ie full set chipped for 5 quid if I use third party ink for my Canon ( I always do). My old MG6250 had over 2000 A4 full colour prints before the head (yellow) became worn. Canon heads are easy to clean ie take them out and use the old wash under tap trick or use inkjet cleaners. Money I saved going third party ink carts rather then Canon ink carts, I could have purchased a new printer 20 x fold.

Btw I could have got a refurb head for my Canon MG6250 for £35, but works out better just to buy a new printer which I did.

Last edited:
Soldato
The first thing I'd suggest is that if it's only for occasional use then I'd steer clear of inkjet and definitely go for a laser printer!

I've lost count of the number of inkjet printers I've had over the years that I've ended up replacing because the jets got clogged up beyond repair/cleaning!

I've gone for a mono laser 3-in-1 and it's the best decision I ever made for occasional use because it just sits there happily without drying out!

The question is whether you can live with mono - there are occasions when I miss having colour but I have access to one at work so it's no great hardship!

Personally I've got a Samsung M2070W and it's great!

I have a brother mfc-j5720dw all in-one inkjet printer that has been stored for a year with compatible inks installed. To my amazement I started using it again a few weeks ago, I printed a test page and it printed out perfectly, I didnt even run the "clean nozzles" thing first:eek::eek:

Associate
I'm in the same boat as you OP and was also looking at the DCP-L2530DW (hence finding this thread!)
Ticks the boxes and duplex printing will be handy.
Only thing is the relatively large footprint for where I want it on my desk. However, being wireless I would be able to find a place for it elsewhere.
Just over a £117 including toner isn't bad and am hoping I would get a good few years out of it.

Back
Top Bottom