VW IDR Breaks 20 year old Goodwood Hill Climb Record

Soldato
When Toyota came into WEC they used super capacitors in the TS040 and then switched to batteries for the TS050 as these proved to be superior.

I was thinking more of battery + capacitor but interesting to read on the switch to battery as the KERS energy store after using super-capacitors in the hybrid system. I'm waiting to see if anything comes from the Tesla Maxwell acquisition apart from battery improvements.

Maybe Dumas will look a little less composed on track if he really tries to push it :)

Caporegime
They have had pure bred hill climb cars, with the British Hill climb champion driving, didn't get within a second of the then record.

They have had older F1 cars run up on timed attempts, again, never got within seconds of the time.

Thing is its mot just the car, you'd need a top ranked current F1 driver too, and they are forbidden.

Back in 2002 Alan Mcnish went up in the then current Toyota TF102, current car, current driver, broke the then record, by a tenth, but because of the F1 ban it was never counted.

heikki kovalainen beat the time in FOS 2006 but wasn't timed due to the F1 ban. He did a low 39 in a 2005 F1 car.

This car is also the current Pikes Peak record holder, make no mistake, it's an exceptionally quick car and has proven itself against some top machinery in other settings.

The ID.R was the perfect car for pikes peak hillclimb due the weakness of I.C.E at high altitude due to lack of oxygen.

Caporegime
OP
heikki kovalainen beat the time in FOS 2006 but wasn't timed due to the F1 ban. He did a low 39 in a 2005 F1 car.

There was never any official proof of that time, it is what Renault said he did, no official timing was running on the day, not even to give unofficial times.

Caporegime
There was never any official proof of that time, it is what Renault said he did, no official timing was running on the day, not even to give unofficial times.

And? He still did that time and that was 15 years ago. The ID'R time is just pure PR. Only who knows who is aloud to run up the hill. When I go to the FOS it is to watch the rallying and see the displays. The actual timed shootout has been a farce for many years.

Caporegime
OP
And? He still did that time and that was 15 years ago. The ID'R time is just pure PR. Only who knows who is aloud to run up the hill. When I go to the FOS it is to watch the rallying and see the displays. The actual timed shootout has been a farce for many years.

And...... without official proof who is to say he really did do that time ?

The shootout is the best bit, it is not and never has been about the absolute fastest, it is about the competition to see who is the fastest within each class.

For instance this year it was far more entertaining and interesting watching the Euro Nascar's go up and see who could be fastest out of those identical cars, rather than watch any of the stuff that was much faster than them. Personally the Fiat S76 was the best car in the shootout every day.

Although it was brilliant to see Petter show Oli how it should be done, with smoothness and skill rather than stupid unnecessary exuberance.

Any one can run up the hill except current F1 teams, they can only do demo runs.

I was speaking to a few others who help organise it all on the Saturday, and said what if some billionaire bought last years Mercedes and members of the team to set it up and run it, under a private owners banner, would that be allowed, and they said yes of course, same as anyone can buy an old F1 and run it up the hill if they wish, as many have done over the years.

The only issue arises, where F1 cars of only a few years old are still owned by the teams, and do not get sold off, especially modern tech ones that are almost impossible for private people to buy and run as they need so many people and laptops etc to run them.

Caporegime
And...... without official proof who is to say he really did do that time ?

The shootout is the best bit, it is not and never has been about the absolute fastest, it is about the competition to see who is the fastest within each class.

For instance this year it was far more entertaining and interesting watching the Euro Nascar's go up and see who could be fastest out of those identical cars, rather than watch any of the stuff that was much faster than them. Personally the Fiat S76 was the best car in the shootout every day.

Although it was brilliant to see Petter show Oli how it should be done, with smoothness and skill rather than stupid unnecessary exuberance.

Any one can run up the hill except current F1 teams, they can only do demo runs.

I was speaking to a few others who help organise it all on the Saturday, and said what if some billionaire bought last years Mercedes and members of the team to set it up and run it, under a private owners banner, would that be allowed, and they said yes of course, same as anyone can buy an old F1 and run it up the hill if they wish, as many have done over the years.

The only issue arises, where F1 cars of only a few years old are still owned by the teams, and do not get sold off, especially modern tech ones that are almost impossible for private people to buy and run as they need so many people and laptops etc to run them.

Agreed a couple of years ago watching the btcc guys battle it out was great. Even though it was wet and I was soaked. Still doesn't change the fact the ID'R was nothing more than a PR stunt as a 15 year old F1 car is faster. Yet current EV tech is aloud to compete. Would have been great to see 919 Evo and ID'R compete but that is not what VAG wants to convey.

Back
Top Bottom