Cheap Android tablet for kids games??

Soldato
I've given my youngest my old Sony Xperia Z3 Compact tablet for playing games on but the 16GB of internal memory is really becoming a problem with games and app's just getting bigger and bigger!

I did think about rooting it (I've got some limited experience with rooting from years ago) but it seems to be quite an old device to get a decent custom ROM for so I'm thinking it might just be easier to bin it off and buy him a relatively cheap modern tablet that either has a) plenty of internal storage or b) the facility to fully install apps to a micro SD card! (presumably, assuming the device has a relatively new Android version, this would be given??)

Circa 7-8" in terms of size and ideally sub-£100 in terms of budget!

Thanks for any suggestions...

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheap android tablets are fairly grim in my experience, so “modern” and “sub £100” might be incompatible.

An Amazon Fire HD8 kids edition can usually be found sub-100 (prime day coming up) but they are sluggish and (last I used one - this may have changed) have no YouTube unless you do some fiddling about.

Soldato
OP
Apparently there is a 8" version of the Galaxy Tab A coming out fairy soon that looks like it might fit the bill - only 2GB of RAM but 32GB of internal storage plus a micro SD card lot so that might be worth looking at!

As I said my main issue is the lack of space to install apps to - the Z3 Compact is still fairly decent except for that aspect! Am I right in saying that any tablet that has a micro SD card slot will ask me when you first boot it up whether you want to use the card as internal storage? (presumably dependent upon the Android OS version?)

Permabanned
When you get to sub £150 tablets the word recommendation doesn't apply anymore, they all suck.

Do you have a John Lewis near you? pop in and try them, they often have a clearance counter with reduced prices for returned items, you can get some good deals there sometimes.

Soldato
My wife likes tablets, specifically Android tablets, and we've always looked in the £200+ areas as you seem to get a lot more "bang for buck" by spending that bit more.
As it happens her previous two have both been Samsung and she takes delivery of her new Samsung S5e on Wednesday for her Birthday - which is certainly the most we've paid for a tablet.

Soldato
is it better to buy a 2018 large 5.5" phone with more ram & better gpu/cpu processing power in the £100 bracket
... but - I don't know about the usability of games on smaller screens, although maybe they can mirrored to a bigger screen, when at home

Soldato
OP
I'm really leaning towards the new Samsung Tab A - assuming it's actually released anytime soon and is a reasonable price!

I had a play with the 10.1" slate in PC World yesterday and it seemed pretty zippy!

Back
Top Bottom