• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
AMD need to be putting finished hardware in reviewers hands, we already know there’s issues even with current BIOS’.

It has the same rushed out the door feel of the original Zen launch.

Given the stock issues I agree on the rush comments, OCUK had original 34 chips, 200 arriving launch day then another 350 next week.

In reality launch shouldnt have happened until all 580 or so chips were in stock, delay it a week or two. Likewise with finished bios implementations also.

In addition reviewers like all the times before are clearly rushed reviews, so many scenarios not tested, so little software tested. The reviews every single one I have looked at so far are incomplete bits of information that dont give me much information, so it will be as usual awaiting for feedback from real world users.

The modern reviewer its about getting it out in time to maximise clicks as well as keeping the product supplier happy with the results of the review.

Associate
There is a review floating around on PCI-E 4 vs the others and it offered no appreciable benefit "at the moment" for current GPU's.

The only current benefit from PCIe4 will be the coming PCIe4 Nvme drives.
But OC3D has found that the Gigabyte PCIe4 drive will run at its full speed on x470 if a 3000 CPU is in the board.
So x570 is currently pointless, just a nice board for a possible future - which probably won't arrive until the next generation is out.

I hope my 3800x comes tomorrow.
Trouble is my wife is off work wed, thur, Friday.
I’ll have some explaining to do if it turns up when’s she’s in.
My plan was to shove it into the PC tomorrow. See no evil, hear no evil

Nasty lol.

I always have my stuff delivered to my work, then I smuggle it into house under the cover of darkness. :D

Associate
This AMD slide has the 3800x 9% faster in multi thread than the 3700x.

AMDjpg-1280x640.jpg

Think that's only 7% faster (137 / 128 = 1.07)

Associate
As someone who pre-ordered a 3700x, I'm crossing my fingers that this is just due to the lower out-the-box TDP and will be close to zero difference with PBO/Manual OC

Seeing as the 5700 is locked down interms of boost clocks I wouldn't be surprised if there was a difference artifically imposed to make the seperation in SKUs. However if that seperation is as close as it appears to be in single core then there is little reason to go up to the 3800x given how well the 3700x is performing in multicore tasks.

Soldato
As someone who pre-ordered a 3700x, I'm crossing my fingers that this is just due to the lower out-the-box TDP and will be close to zero difference with PBO/Manual OC
don't let buyers remorse get a foothold or you'll forever be questioning your purchase. you've bought a great cpu at a great price. be happy with what you've got, not what you might have got. and that is my zen mantra for the day - pro pun is intentional :D

Associate
Damn it

My order is ready to collect in store for my x570 board but still nothing for 3700x processor.

Its rubbish that amd/courier dont seem to be keeping ocuk updated on expected delivery. Or ocuk arent keeping us up to date?

Associate
According to someone on Reddit his 3700x has just shipped from *** another retailer ***

- No Competitor Hinting - Armageus

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
B350 motherboard with a Ryzen 9 3900X:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpYiJ9h05JM

These kind of 'reviews' bug me. He didn't even run it till like 2/3rds through the video, then instead of quickly running a few benchmarks to show the same performance on that as any other board he ran a pointless stability test that tells you nothing. Instead of putting his finger let alone a basic laser heat gun on the vrms to see if they were hotter than with a say 2700x, he just said oh, it's telling me 29C, that's wrong.

There is this inherent belief lately that if a motherboard doesn't have a 600amp VRM setup for LN2 cooling of the highest degree, then the VRMs are crap.

105W is 105W.

If you have even the cheapest motherboards capable of delivering well over 100W, and you're talking about a 12 core chip that is on a new node and has the same TDP... where do people get the magic idea that none of the chips will work because 'more corezzzzz'. On the same node adding another 100% cores and upping power usage by not far off 100%, sure, there is a power issue to consider, going from 8 cores on 14nm to 12 (or 16) cores on 7nm using the same TDP, urrgggh. This VRM snobbery going on where people believe cheaper boards won't run stock just fine is getting stupid.

The only reason I can see to go x570 is to get a pci-e 4 M2 drive and even then I think almost no one would even see a performance benefit of that.

People are spending imo absurd amounts for perceived performance gains that simply don't exist, largely because a few reviewers who get free kit from people trying to sell these products keep telling you that the VRMs are crap on cheaper boards.

IT's kind of absurd that almost everyone here could just save £100-200 on the motherboard and get 4 more cores or a more powerful gpu and instead are getting 3 times the VRM power they'll ever require.

Soldato

The 3800X will be the better chip, regardless.

Also, some interesting info on Zen2 boosting:

Anandtech said:
What is curious about the new chip is just how closely it follows its power limitations. The new boosting algorithm on the Ryzen 3 series is a particularly “opportunistic” one that will go as high in frequencies as it can go within its constraints, no matter the amount of CPU cores.

The constraints are as follows:

• Package Power Tracking (PPT): The power threshold that is allowed to be delivered to the socket.
    • This is 88W for 65W TDP processors, and 142W for 105W TDP processors.
  • Thermal Design Current (TDC): The maximum amount of current delivered by the motherboard’s voltage regulators when under thermally constrained scenarios (high temperatures)
    • This is 60A for 65W TDP processors, and 95A for 105W TDP processors.
  • Electrical Design Current (EDC): This is the maximum amount of current at any instantaneous short period of time that can be delivered by the motherboard’s voltage regulators.
    • This is 90A for 65W TDP processors, and 140A for 105W TDP processors.

Caporegime
Came across a pretty good deal for, Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 3200 (model, BLS2K8G4D32AESCK ) Any issues using this with these Ryzens?

They use micron e dies which are pretty good. A lot of them overclock into the 3600Mhz range with roughly the same cl16 timings, and maybe 3733Mhz as well, though what little comparisons we've seen for memory speeds and timings suggests very little performance difference between 3200 cl14 and 3600 cl16.

With the currently shown differences in performance and the current price difference, Samsung B-die at pretty much literally twice the price of those micron e dies, I have no idea why people are so determined to get Sammy b-die, seems like a waste of money.

Caporegime
The 3800X will be the better chip, regardless.

Also, some interesting info on Zen2 boosting:

Until you tell the motherboard to raise the limit on those numbers. At which point you're just hoping the 3800x is better binned, which it might well be, but the difference is likely minimal and probably more about voltage required to achieve said clocks rather than it being able to achieve better clock speeds overall.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Came across a pretty good deal for, Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 3200 (model, BLS2K8G4D32AESCK ) Any issues using this with these Ryzens?

got the same kit sitting here waiting on my processor and mobo arriving. it's micron e die i think and supposed to be quite good.

Back
Top Bottom