• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6pin Graphics Paralysis

Associate
OP
Hmmm, that's unusual. Sorry I can't help with that one. Maybe a faulty card.
It's possible. I've opened up a support thread, and I've only had it since Wednesday. Well within 14 days return window.

On the other hand, leaves me with my original issue. What to do about replacing a 7850.

Soldato
1660ti might be better for you as lower power need and less power connectors needed i think just 1x 8 pin isnt it and probably wont have coil whine as ive never had a nvidia cause it before. Its not quite as good as 56 but close enough.

Associate
OP
Sound is via motherboard, to analogue over ear headphones.

It's purely electrical noise, the card itself is surprisingly quiet. It's the sapphire pulse?

Soldato
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32836898

Says he has the pulse and the same psu as you and experienced whine too.

Then he says this later at the end of the thread.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32849447

Maybe ask him what tweaks he did that reduced the whine?

I have a feeling if you can cap the fps it might help the whine as i believe this happens when fps goes crazy high like at loading screens. So either cap or maybe turn vsync on and see if that way of capping helps it? Could be wrong tho.

Last edited:
Don
And this blows the budget completely out the water. I went slightly over what I was planning anyway, and with an additional quality PSU it's not so much smudged the budget as drawn over it with crayon?

Which is fair enough, but people did try and warn you that the PSU really needed to be replaced.
If you'd bought a high-end Nvidia card (or even a RX570 etc) it could still equally have had coil whine.

If the budget was really that tight than an RX570/580/590 and a new PSU would have been a better option.

this happens when fps goes crazy high like at loading screens. So either cap or maybe turn vsync on and see if that way of capping helps it? Could be wrong tho.

Capping (e.g. via Rivatuner) or turning on Vsync will reduce it in these situations (e.g. older games like CSGo that run at 200fps+), but likely won't eliminate it completely.

Associate
OP
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32836898

Says he has the pulse and the same psu as you and experienced whine too.

I don't believe he has the same issue. With my ear right next to the graphics card, on full abuse mode, all I hear is the fans. The noise *only* appears via analogue headphones, plugged into the headphone socket. Powered speakers plugged into the same socket don't pick up the problem.

Which is fair enough, but people did try and warn you that the PSU really needed to be replaced.
If you'd bought a high-end Nvidia card (or even a RX570 etc) it could still equally have had coil whine.

Very much doubt that. The RX570 has a lower TDP then the V56, and it's only in top 25-30% of operation that it's observable. Call it 150W? Heck, the RX570 has a lower TDP than my old card, a legacy 7850.

If the budget was really that tight than an RX570/580/590 and a new PSU would have been a better option.
Sadly, no. 570-590 would gain me a 125-200% improvement, at a cost of £200-£300. Compare that value proposition against a Vega 56 at £270, and 315% improvement. That's *half* the value. At that point, is it even worth doing?

Hell, I could get a 5700XT at ~400, which is (aprox) 400-415% better than the 7850, at a better value point then the 570/80/90. If there is *value* there, my budget is weird and could be made to accomadate. But a new PSU in the hope it fixes an issue that may well not be coil whine, because no one else seems to have only whine on headphones.

And the 5700XT has a similar TDP to the R56, to boot!

Soldato
Ah ok so maybe try cheap soundcard or maybe if ur monitor has a headphone jack plug em in there instead as im sure audio is carried to ur monitor through the hdmi and possibly DP port if thats what ur using provided ur monitor has speakers and some audio outputs for headphones?

Suppose u can try turning the impedience down on the drivers for onboard sound incase there amped or something?

Does your motherboard have a audio header to allow audio jacks on ur case to be used if u have any and maybe plug headphones in them instead of the back of the case ports?

Have u also tried disabling the gpu audio device through sound manager?

But in any case its defo not the gpu its just probably a bad emi interfearence carried on the audio possibly a ground issue.

I used this search and found a few links i think u might wana have a read up on.

https://www.google.com/search?q=noi...rome..69i57.8743j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:
Soldato
Does your case not have front panel audio jack? Fwiw plugging headphones into the back will always degrade audio quality & even more so with the GPU under load. Sometimes more than others.

Associate
OP
Ah ok so maybe try cheap soundcard
Noted for future testing.

or maybe if ur monitor has a headphone jack plug em in there instead as im sure audio is carried to ur monitor through the hdmi and possibly DP port if thats what ur using provided ur monitor has speakers and some audio outputs for headphones?
Good thought, but not an option. Speakers are also using simple audio jack. Move headphones to that port, same issue.

Suppose u can try turning the impedience down on the drivers for onboard sound incase there amped or something?
Hmm, looked, can't find an option for this.

Does your motherboard have a audio header to allow audio jacks on ur case to be used if u have any and maybe plug headphones in them instead of the back of the case ports?
It does, both have same issue. Case perhaps slightly worse, but within margin of human estimate.

Have u also tried disabling the gpu audio device through sound manager?
Tried it, no change.

But in any case its defo not the gpu its just probably a bad emi interfearence carried on the audio possibly a ground issue.
Hmmm, provisionally agree, with the caveat that the V56 appears to put out significantly more than my previous card. But assuming that's the case, the solution is replace motherboard/CPU/PSU, probably?

I used this search and found a few links i think u might wana have a read up on.
Read, noted, but mostly the solutions appear to be "BUY MORE STUFF". I do not like this solution - EMI is a known thing, card makers shouldn't be building deliberately broken products.

Does your case not have front panel audio jack? Fwiw plugging headphones into the back will always degrade audio quality & even more so with the GPU under load. Sometimes more than others.
Tried and failed.

--

In case it doesn't come across, I'm gratefull for all suggestions. But I'm off work with D/V, and not exactly in the best frame of mind to be dealing with this!

Back
Top Bottom