Help wanted

Soldato
Before ESTA you had these landing cards which contained similar questions. One that stood out for me was, "Are you, or have you ever, been part of the Nazi German regime", or words to that effect. Surely being a Nazi is a requirement for settling in the USA now, what with good people on both sides..?

UK asks the same questions (or at least they did a couple of years back when I got my citizenship) :) They also ask the war crimes/genocide/terrorism questions mentioned above. Guess it's their response to at some point finding someone who did those things who just turned around and said "Well, you never asked!".

Man of Honour
OP
Before ESTA you had these landing cards which contained similar questions. One that stood out for me was, "Are you, or have you ever, been part of the Nazi German regime", or words to that effect. Surely being a Nazi is a requirement for settling in the USA now, what with good people on both sides..?

As a very frequent visitor to the U.S., I remember the landing cards, and the customs forms, I don’t recall anything about Nazi regime, but I THINK that there was one question that said, “Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Communist Party?”
I could be dreaming this, but I feel that I’ve seen somewhere, “Do you intend to engage in terrorist acts while in the U.S.?”
I remember saying to my wife, “Wonder if anyone’s ever ticked yes?”

mjt

mjt

Soldato
As a very frequent visitor to the U.S., I remember the landing cards, and the customs forms, I don’t recall anything about Nazi regime, but I THINK that there was one question that said, “Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Communist Party?”
I could be dreaming this, but I feel that I’ve seen somewhere, “Do you intend to engage in terrorist acts while in the U.S.?”
I remember saying to my wife, “Wonder if anyone’s ever ticked yes?”
Yes that too. I'm someone did for ***** and giggles. And then probably neither **** nor giggled in a cell.

Soldato
I can corroborate what @Screeeech said by virtue on having worked on building and supporting a lot of police/judicial IT systems and also worked on cross-border initiatives. You'd be amazed how hard it is to be joined up across UK forces let alone internationally. Unless you've done something to get on Interpol's database or brought yourself to the attention of the security services then US Immigration won't have easy routine access to anything on you beyond what you tell them yourself.

Caporegime
Just to push this back to the top, I helped my Dad apply for his and having checked the website it says approved. Is that it? No letter or document? It's all tied to his passport?

Soldato
Just to push this back to the top, I helped my Dad apply for his and having checked the website it says approved. Is that it? No letter or document? It's all tied to his passport?

That’s it. Worth printing out the approved page and making a note of his ESTA number somewhere safe.

Basically, the moment the Customs & Border Protection officer at US passport control scans your dad’s passport, all his ESTA info will pop on the officer’s screen.

Caporegime
That’s it. Worth printing out the approved page and making a note of his ESTA number somewhere safe.

Basically, the moment the Customs & Border Protection officer at US passport control scans your dad’s passport, all his ESTA info will pop on the officer’s screen.

I thought so, but parents were sceptical. Thanks.

Caporegime
That's not the law though, the offences are "possession" and "possession with intent to supply" alongside the obvious production offences.
https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/drug-offences#a08

You can't be arrested and charged for having consumed cocaine otherwise you'd find half of your local city could be locked up on an average weekend night out. Of course you can consume drugs without being in possession of it, there's a table in the middle of the room with a line of coke on it, you consume the drug. At which point was it in your possession?

Reminds me of a wild night in my distant youth, after far too much to drink I and a few mates wound up in the local Bike gangs clubhouse (!) cue lots of whatever floated your boat being on open offer, predominantly weed though.

About an hour into the session the local plod decided to drop by, basically everyone who was “carrying” had put their particulars on the table nobody had anything on their person,the contents of the table top was seized and we all went our separate ways, no arrests no cautions.

I couldn’t believe it!

I behave myself these days, I should write a book about back then though! :o :D

Back
Top Bottom