*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Transmission breaker
Don
Having moved up to 600 from a 125. I could not reccomend it enough.
Your speed regulation is your right hand, so just use it sparingly if you are worried about it. You decide how fast you go and how quickly you get there, so dont be afraid of a 600.
Not sure it's quite the same with a 1000+cc bike, but I find my 600cc much more practical to ride about than the 125 was. Much happier on the motorway, quick squirt to overtake basically anything and helps you appreciate the extra power a bigger bike brings without going crazy.

Associate
Had my first real taste of a bigger bike yesterday. I must admit its going to be hard to keep hold of the 125 now. training on a Kawasaki ER6n, nice bike and has plenty pull, jumping onto my cb125r it felt like a toy bike. If finances allow or I can pick something up for whatever I can sell my 125 for I can see me changing it

Soldato
I hit 30mph instead of 32 for the hazard avoidance.. Passed but that classed as a minor, but was my only one so pretty pleased about it

Did they make you do it again? I thought they had to. I hit 31 and had to do it again. Still pick up a minor but as long as you are successful the second time you're fine.

Soldato
So Im finally intending to get around to my bike license this summer as the other halfs office is moving so the car needs to be free for her. Instead of getting a second car I want to get a bike as ive always wanted one.

I am 23 so am I right in assuming I can do my cbt then go straight to my a2 theory and practicals? Allowing my get on a restricted max 47hp?

All in all how much would you expect to pay for this? Any of you recommend a decent school in Nottingham?

Soldato
How close are you to 24? Might be worth just waiting.
Save you doing the tests twice.

Not until next year and my other half's office move will be completed by next Jan at the very latest likely q4 this year.

As of right now I don't think I'd want anything much more powerful but I'm sure once I get the taste I will. I was kind of hoping going straight to a2 would satisfy my speed desire as my car is already faster than all 125s and I know I'd get bored very quickly.

Soldato
Not until next year and my other half's office move will be completed by next Jan at the very latest likely q4 this year.

As of right now I don't think I'd want anything much more powerful but I'm sure once I get the taste I will. I was kind of hoping going straight to a2 would satisfy my speed desire as my car is already faster than all 125s and I know I'd get bored very quickly.

From experience i'd wait 10000%. Difficult getting a decent bike without the faff of having it restricted, then insurance issues etc. Or getting a decent 400cc which are expensive.

I know from experience as i've had to do both sets of tests twice doing my A2 at 19. 23 as you are now id just wait and get plenty of training in ready for the full test.

The tests are nerve racking enough without having to do them twice trust me. Literally no difference that i could tell between bikes unless you wind your arm round which isn't going to happen on training or testing circumstances.

Associate
Failed.. Gutted. Needed to turn left and there's a bus lane starts just before the junction maybe 3 car lengths worth. checked the sign and thought I was OK to use it, but it was bus cycle and taxi, not motorbike, seen the cycle symbol and thought I was all good.. Gutted as there wasn't a single things I had done wrong aside from that. No minors or anything

Man of Honour
It happens, at least now you know for next time. I failed literally 2 minutes out of the test center on my first one for being a bit too eager doing a lane change.

Soldato
I also failed, minutes after leaving the test center - switched to the other lad's ER5N, as I couldn't U turn mine for toffee, but the entire bike felt completely alien - so I stuffed up a roundabout and just treated the rest of the test like it was additional practice. This was before the test changes, so I only had the one DAS test to pass, none of this Module 1 & 2 faff.

Associate
Does anyone know if there is a requirement to resit the theory test when upgrading from A2 to "unrestricted" A licence?

I am over 24 and held the A2 licence for just over 2 years and I know there is a 2 year limit on the theory when initially sitting the tests but am not sure if I need to redo the theory again and have been struggling to find any information online.

I am planning to get everything rolling when I get home next week and don't want to get to the test center just to be told I can't sit the mod 1 due to out of date theory.

Back
Top Bottom