• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5 question

Associate
i have picked all the components for a Ryzen build. I am stuck between Ryzen 2600 or the 2600x.
I’ll not be overclocking and using the pc for gaming so is the 2600x still worth the extra £30 compared to the lower priced 2600

Associate
Yes I have thought about the so no it’s not a joke. Would help if you just answered the question

Dunno why he's being an arse about it but he makes somewhat of a point.

If you're debating between a 2600 or a 2600x, then you have to throw the 3600 into the fold because the £30 between a 2600 and 2600x is of less value than the £30 between a 2600x and the 3600.

Either get a 2600 or a 3600.

Soldato
I need to build a system for my nephew and at £120 and possibly lower in the next few weeks the 2600 is very tempting, the 3600 is £60-70 more atm

Buy what you can afford, you'll be just as happy with any of those cpu's

Caporegime
I need to build a system for my nephew and at £120 and possibly lower in the next few weeks the 2600 is very tempting, the 3600 is £60-70 more atm

Buy what you can afford, you'll be just as happy with any of those cpu's

By the looks of it the op was not aware of the new gen a Ryzen CPUs...

Buying what you can afford is always good...but saving up 30 quid to get the latest tech makes even more sense....

Soldato
The Ryzen 5 2600 is now starting to go as low as £120 if you shop around(and I have seen dip even lower with discount codes),which is a £70 difference from a Ryzen 5 3600. So if the OP is also needing to buy a new GPU for their new rig,then £70 there would be the difference between an RX570 4GB and a RX590 8GB or GTX1660 6GB.

Associate
OP
The issue is i am sure the motherboard I want which is a b450 gaming pro carbon AC would have to have a bios update to use the 3600 ( which I did think about getting) I don’t have the resources or knowledge to do a bios update.
Also I do have to buy a gpu and gone with a sapphire rx590 nitrous. But getting a 3600 and that gpu are in my budget.
As I said and I should have made it clearer is I am sure the motherboard would need a bios update

Caporegime
The Ryzen 5 2600 is now starting to go as low as £120 if you shop around(and I have seen dip even lower with discount codes),which is a £70 difference from a Ryzen 5 3600. So if the OP is also needing to buy a new GPU for their new rig,then £70 there would be the difference between an RX570 4GB and a RX590 8GB or GTX1660 6GB.

But he was looking at a 2600x so figured he already had the budget

Associate
OP
Is it a easy process and is there a tutorial somewhere or even better would overclockers do this for me as I will be buying from them

Soldato
What is the GPU going to be?

The current price gap between the 2600 and 2600x isn't worth it imo, even if you don't overclock, unless you are pairing it with quite a powerful GPU.

Caporegime
The issue is i am sure the motherboard I want which is a b450 gaming pro carbon AC would have to have a bios update to use the 3600 ( which I did think about getting) I don’t have the resources or knowledge to do a bios update.
Also I do have to buy a gpu and gone with a sapphire rx590 nitrous. But getting a 3600 and that gpu are in my budget.
As I said and I should have made it clearer is I am sure the motherboard would need a bios update

The bios update on that mobo is as simple as copying the bios file to a usb stick and pressing a button on the back io panel...

A five year old could do it...

Associate

It's actually very easy and super simple (on the assumption that 1. the bios is available and 2. the new bios isn't faulty, which seems to be going around with the Ryzen 3000 as of right now).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

This 2 min video outlines the entire process.

It is super important that the USB drive is configured to a FAT32 file system, and I've also read that it needs to be smaller than 16gb in size.

Associate
OP
Ok the info has made things more clear. I didn’t think doing a bios update was as easy as it sounds.
So I’ll be getting the 3600 which is what I wanted in the first place.

Associate
OP
if you wasn’t so impatient there would have been another post saying thanks to everyone. I was just looking into flashing the bios
And tbf you was being a bit of a penis

Anyway thanks for all the help and info guys. Really didn’t think updating bios was as easy as it is

Back
Top Bottom