DARK (Netflix)

Man of Honour
Tried to watch a bit but not sure I can get into it - probably give it another chance when I'm less preoccupied by other stuff.

Really weird thing going on with my brain while watching it though LOL - I guess my brain must remember more German than I'm conscious of (I did 3-4 years of it at school) - I'm familiar with enough to understand about half of it without referring to the subtitles but quite a bit I just had it on the in the background while working on stuff and realised my brain was sub-consciously translating more like 90% without referring to the subtitles until I started paying attention again.

Man of Honour
Didn't realise there is English dubbing - somehow it had defaulted to German audio with English subtitles not sure how that happened.

Soldato
Didn't realise there is English dubbing - somehow it had defaulted to German audio with English subtitles not sure how that happened.

As it should do, why wouldn't you watch it in German? The dubbing is ******* awful, which isn't a surprise as I can't think of one foreign film/tv I watched where the dubbing is better than the original and subtitles.

Man of Honour
As it should do, why wouldn't you watch it in German? The dubbing is ******* awful, which isn't a surprise as I can't think of one foreign film/tv I watched where the dubbing is better than the original and subtitles.

Mostly the dubbing is a lot better than in many shows/movies the odd bit/certain characters not as convincing as the rest - personally subtitles don't really do it for me and a lot of the time these days my attention is too divided and not fully on the screen anyhow.

Soldato
Can either say I'm as thick as **** or the story is just not quite a obvious as it should be. I know time travel is a mind bending concept but not a lot of this series made sense to me. Maybe because the tying up will come in future seasons. Found myself wandering when watching cause of this, all the build up but no big reveal or ending. I suppose season 2 explained season 1 and so on and so forth, but as much as I want to love this show I just don't.

Its safe to say to those people who ask after the first few episodes does this show make sense. The answer is no.

Man of Honour
Can either say I'm as thick as **** or the story is just not quite a obvious as it should be. I know time travel is a mind bending concept but not a lot of this series made sense to me. Maybe because the tying up will come in future seasons. Found myself wandering when watching cause of this, all the build up but no big reveal or ending. I suppose season 2 explained season 1 and so on and so forth, but as much as I want to love this show I just don't.

It slowly eases the story from one angle to include another - so just as you are getting your head around how it ties up in one direction they add in another that changes it again hah. I wouldn't bother trying to match everything up too precisely in season 1 just get a feel for the flow of it. It is one you really need to sit down read up the explanation later unless you are bored and want to figure all the pieces out yourself.

Its safe to say to those people who ask after the first few episodes does this show make sense. The answer is no.

I think it is one of the better done shows that intentionally don't make it easy to make sense of but it will put a lot of people off what is actually a pretty good show if you don't try and force it and just go along with where it wants to take you.

Soldato
I honestly don't think season 2 was as good as season 1. It was entertaining and gives more to the story but I just found it rather cringey at times. I prefer the mystery of the first season and how time travel isn't thrown about every 15 minutes, they really over-played it.

I also sighed harder at the ending of season 2 than season 1. I'll probably not rush to watch the next one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don

Yup.

The only time dubbing can be acceptable (not every time) is in animated films.

Soldato
Finished season 2 and this is the first show that I remember actually improving over season 1 and not dropping off or have to start hand holding you like other shows do, requires your full attention as it should if your watching it in German with subs.

Can't wait for season 3.

Man of Honour
Don't get the hate for the dubbing in this one - it is mostly close to the original not just actors reading the lines the odd exception aside and sounds right for how you'd expect a character to sound they've also put some effort in to correctly pan the audio relevant to the scene and take into account actions going on in the scene when recording the lines and matched it up close enough that the lips being out of sync isn't glaringly obvious unless you really concentrate on it.

I'm only about 1/3rd the way through season 2 but it isn't really gripping me like season 1 did once I'd got into it.

Back
Top Bottom