Summer Transfer Thread 2019

Soldato
Man of Honour
According to Sky, we have completed the signing of Tielemans on a four year deal. :)

Now if we can hang onto Maguire and Maddison, it will be a brilliant summer for us ;)

I would've thought the Perez and Tielemans money would be coming from the sale of Maguire, unless Leicester are a lot richer than I thought?

Regardless thats a pretty decent squad y'all have there, top 6 battle is going to be even more interesting this season.

Soldato
I would've thought the Perez and Tielemans money would be coming from the sale of Maguire, unless Leicester are a lot richer than I thought?

Regardless thats a pretty decent squad y'all have there, top 6 battle is going to be even more interesting this season.

The owner is worth around $5 billion, so not short of a bob or two.

The top 6, had better start looking over their shoulders ;)

Soldato

Leicester should easily be able to afford both without selling - but its just a matter of time before Maguire goes imo (even if it isn't to Utd)

Not sure he is elite level, or even close - but Utd have dropped so far he would improve the defence immeasurably

Transfer prices are just crazy ( just look at Felix going for 120m euros - even if that includes a 30m agent fee - for one season in the Portuguese league, absolutely nuts)

Caporegime
He's also slow and turns like a tank.

He doesn't get in any of the top fours defence imo.

I don't think he's as slow as you're making out, he's not the quickest defender around granted.

You think he doesn't get into City's back two? He's not better than Otamendi, Stones or Mangala?

I think you're forgetting how bad some of the top 4s options are. There's a reason City are (were?) on the sniff.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think he's as slow as you're making out, he's not the quickest defender around granted.

You think he doesn't get into City's back two? He's not better than Otamendi, Stones or Mangala?

I think you're forgetting how bad some of the top 4s options are. There's a reason City are (were?) on the sniff.

Im not sure he's better than Otamendi no to be honest. Remember they did win the league with 98 points...

Don

I'm better than Mangala but regarding your general question, who is better for City and who is better for another team isn't always going to be the same. City aren't a side that are going to be on the back foot, camped in their 18 yard box defending crosses and balls into the box. Now Maguire's more than just a lump that will head things away but he's not as good on the ball as either Otamendi or Stones.

That said Maguire's definitely capable of playing for any of the top 4-6 sides, the issue is the price though. Paying the talked about £70-90m you'd be expecting to sign somebody that would walk into the side and be a guaranteed starter, if not a massive upgrade on what you've got. I don't think you could say with any certainty that Maguire would be a guaranteed starter for any of Chelsea, Spurs, City or Liverpool. Only at Utd and Arsenal would he be that and that would be because their defence's are ****.

Caporegime
I'm better than Mangala but regarding your general question, who is better for City and who is better for another team isn't always going to be the same. City aren't a side that are going to be on the back foot, camped in their 18 yard box defending crosses and balls into the box. Now Maguire's more than just a lump that will head things away but he's not as good on the ball as either Otamendi or Stones.

That said Maguire's definitely capable of playing for any of the top 4-6 sides, the issue is the price though. Paying the talked about £70-90m you'd be expecting to sign somebody that would walk into the side and be a guaranteed starter, if not a massive upgrade on what you've got. I don't think you could say with any certainty that Maguire would be a guaranteed starter for any of Chelsea, Spurs, City or Liverpool. Only at Utd and Arsenal would he be that and that would be because their defence's are ****.

Would have to disagree with the point about not being a guaranteed starter for any of the top 6, I think he starts for any and all of them. I can pick out at least one 'starting' defender for every team in the top 6 that I'd personally have Maguire over.

United - all
Arsenal - all
Liverpool - Matip, Lovren, Gomez
Chelsea - Luiz
Spurs - Vertongen, Sanchez
City - Otamendi, Stones, Mangala

I'd have Maguire over all of those. I've already said the cost is questionable, but in the day and age of Mustafi going for £35 million it's not that ridiculous.

Im not sure he's better than Otamendi no to be honest. Remember they did win the league with 98 points...

Wow, you mustn't think he's very good then because Otamendi is complete garbage.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've always thought Ottamendi is a bit of a liability, he's a bit like Rojo in that he always seems like he's on the verge of a wild challenge. Maguire might not be worth the figures that are being touted for him, but he's better than Ottamendi.

Back
Top Bottom