• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to Cut Prices of its Desktop Processors by 15% in Response to Ryzen 3000

Soldato
I can’t see Intel doing anything as I said earlier, 9900K sales went up over weekend, nothing compared to AMDs numbers but shall be interesting to see how sales compare between the two once hype dies down.

For now Intel sales remain strong and if anything have increased a little and as others said if your a gamer who demands the very highest FPS in games and everything else is not as important and don’t stream then Intel is still hard to beat especially 9700K and 9900K.

Intel sales went up, but you dropped the 9900K to the cheapest price in the UK, I see the correlation if you don't. ;) :p

Soldato
I can’t see Intel doing anything as I said earlier, 9900K sales went up over weekend, nothing compared to AMDs numbers but shall be interesting to see how sales compare between the two once hype dies down.

For now Intel sales remain strong and if anything have increased a little and as others said if your a gamer who demands the very highest FPS in games and everything else is not as important and don’t stream then Intel is still hard to beat especially 9700K and 9900K.

That's not a surprise. There are many people that have being holding out to see who's the best at gaming and now they know it's still the 9900k, so they all bought a 9900k over the weekend, that's why the sales spiked

Associate
I did just that, wanted to wait until prices came down on the 9900k first but would rather buy it now and sell my 8700k quickly. For me I already have a high end Z370 Formula board so it works out far cheaper for me to drop an 8 core chip into that and sell my 8700k than buy a whole new platform. And as gaming is what this PC does 90% of the time the 9900k is the way to go.

Still waiting for my shipment though, ordered from here at 1:48pm for next day and still stuck at order received :(

OcUK Staff
Intel sales went up, but you dropped the 9900K to the cheapest price in the UK, I see the correlation if you don't. ;) :p

Yep just to guarantee that all those who were waiting and then decided to go Intel went with us my point is 9900K sales have being strong and still are strong and supply volumes though good are by no means over flowing so as the saying goes if Intel can sell everything they produce then it’s fair to say they don’t beee to make a price move.

Soldato
That's not a surprise. There are many people that have being holding out to see who's the best at gaming and now they know it's still the 9900k, so they all bought a 9900k over the weekend, that's why the sales spiked
That would be the most moronic move ever. What with bios updates and driver/software tweaks anyone can see that ryzen 3000 will catch 9900k in gaming.

Soldato
Yep just to guarantee that all those who were waiting and then decided to go Intel went with us my point is 9900K sales have being strong and still are strong and supply volumes though good are by no means over flowing so as the saying goes if Intel can sell everything they produce then it’s fair to say they don’t beee to make a price move.

Yes, but if they were going to buy anyhow, then why did you drop the price by ~£50? :confused:

Also I agree, if they can sell everything they can make then no need to drop the price, but lets not forget you are talking 9900K, not the rest of the product stack which accounts for way more sales globally than the 9900K in the enthusiast space.

I say watch this space, and see how they move once the desktop-enthusiast CPU market shifts away from them as a whole.

Soldato
Yes, but if they were going to buy anyhow, then why did you drop the price by ~£50? :confused:
Lol, He's a salesman! This is the same guy who will tell you "If you want to be sure of a part then you must buy right now, demand is very high! Crazy demand!" and "stock is so strong at overclockers, we have best stock in the UK, very best stock with more arriving every day" in the same breath lol. I don't blame him, it's his job, he's a salesman. He wants to push people to buy, but also has to portray the wider image of OCUK as the best, with most stock and best prices. Makes sense.

Associate
To be precise, up to 2% increase. The 9900K platform is fully mature. I wouldn't bet against X570/Ryzen 3000 just yet ;)

That's within margin of error though. I'm sure there is some wiggle room but to beat the 9900k you are looking at 10%+ improvement in many games. I think we should worry less about that as it's a great chip whatever. :) Just get the kinks worked out.

Soldato
That's within margin of error though. I'm sure there is some wiggle room but to beat the 9900k you are looking at 10%+ improvement in many games. I think we should worry less about that as it's a great chip whatever. :) Just get the kinks worked out.
GN's video reckons 2% in some games. However, I noticed in one graph their minimum FPS figure went up by ~10% so I guess Steve was referring to average FPS.

However, GN were using a new BIOS for their original review anyway (AGESA 1.0.0.3A). Other places may well have used older ones (1.0.0.2, which came with official press BIOSs according to GN) that performed a bit worse.

Associate
GN's video reckons 2% in some games. However, I noticed in one graph their minimum FPS figure went up by ~10% so I guess Steve was referring to average FPS.

However, GN were using a new BIOS for their original review anyway (AGESA 1.0.0.3A). Other places may well have used older ones (1.0.0.2, which came with official press BIOSs according to GN) that performed a bit worse.

Didn't see any ~10% gains on there. Total War lost 9% at 0.1%lows so it's so variable. I just think people should be less concerned and realistic about what is achievable. It's a great chip but it doesn't win at everything and that's fine.

Soldato
Didn't see any ~10% gains on there. Total War lost 9% at 0.1%lows so it's so variable. I just think people should be less concerned and realistic about what is achievable. It's a great chip but it doesn't win at everything and that's fine.
Ha, maybe I was looking at them backwards!

Caporegime
There is a huge discrepancy between reviewers, just like there was with Ryzen 1000, some of the reviews have nothing but a marginal difference between the 3700X 3900X and the 9900K, even winning some, while others are as much as 15% overall to the 9900K, what is a commonality between them is those that seem down on performance have Zen 2 only about 5% faster than Zen+ while those with matching 9900K performance are more like the 15% difference that you see outside of games.

I think the platform as some maturing to do.

Caporegime
I never did like GN's reviews, they are quite synthetic, he tend's to use older games that aren't really games in the traditional sense, most of his games are Command and Conquer type games that run heavy low threaded compute loads, he argues "those are the ones that show the most realistic results" when clearly they don't for what 95% of people use the CPU's for, he does the same with productivity, he doesn't use Cinebench he uses Blender with a scene they created that he says it a mixture of Cuda and low threaded because again "it's realistic" it's not.

The type of guy who thinks he's a genius but is an idiot.

Soldato
Ok I'll admit that I like the "Tech deals" reviews though I have to wear dark glasses when I do (its the teeth!), but He tends to make the reviews he does from a price to performance point of view and fairly unbiased. He really rated the ryzen 2 3600 when I read it yesterday and was very impressed with it.

Back
Top Bottom