Lifetime Warranty! Happy Ending at last :)

Soldato
This thread should be stickied. OCUK advertise a lifetime warranty and the manufacturer say it should be handled by OCUK. £1.83 is not in any way what is implied by "lifetime warranty", its a complete joke. I just recently bought some as well, oh well.

Soldato
a cheap item like ram id expect a good few years from lifetime warranty after 5+ years when an item is only worth £12 id not even bother with warranty... bin it move on.. Its not like its a £!00 video card..

Soldato
This reminds me of the whole UNLIMITED DATA usage nonsense that most mobile phone companies spew out, unlimited but there is a fair use policy. OK, then its no longer unlimited and henceforth they should stop saying unlimited as its misleading.

Now we have lifetime warranty but in 20 years time if you need ram replaced its obvious its going to be difficult to replace, so why offer lifetime if they know its going to become harder and harder to meet the terms of the warranty. This is not like you send in DDR2 and if they send you DDR4 and you can just use that.

So why do they do these false advertising?

surely there must be advertising laws in place to prevent what to me seems like false advertising.

glad its sorted for you.

Last edited:
Soldato
This reminds me of the whole UNLIMITED DATA usage nonsense that most mobile phone companies spew out, unlimited but there is a fair use policy. OK, then its no longer unlimited and hence force they should stop saying unlimited as its misleading.

Now we have lifetime warranty but in 20 years time if you need ram replaced its obvious its going to be difficult to replace, so why offer lifetime if they know its going to beco e harder and harder to meet the terms of the warranty. This is not like you send in DDR2 and if they send you DDR4 and you can just use that.

So why do they do these?

surely there must be advertising laws I place to prevent what to me seems like false advertising.

glad its sorted for you.

It's lifetime of the product. "We don't make that anymore, it's end-of-life, so we the lifetime warranty is finished". Just marketing speak one step away from conning the buyer and misrepresenting the product. Of course the warranty isn't the product itself, but obviously will have made a difference during the buying decision.

I'm seeing this sort of thing more often in all sorts of consumer products. Where before companies would make spares for years and you could always get a repair, now they don't bother, and then when something fails, they tell you parts are no longer made, so instead they will refund you the item minus a few years of use, and here's a few pounds. If they had to refund at the full price (which the customer is going to have to spend to get a new item), you can bet they would continue making spares instead.

Soldato
OP
Yeah i got the ram replaced and 2 packs of Haribo
Ram is same as original but with different heatsinks as they had no large/identical ones available
I would have thought that they could have removed the heatsinks from the faulty sticks but hey ho no problem

Soldato
a cheap item like ram id expect a good few years from lifetime warranty after 5+ years when an item is only worth £12 id not even bother with warranty... bin it move on.. Its not like its a £!00 video card..
I don't know where you're from but DDR3 2x4GB is still worth £40 new easily, second hand it's £20-£25, you're being a bit silly because someone else could come in and say "Bin it more on, it's not like it's a £50000 GT-R".
Yeah i got the ram replaced and 2 packs of Haribo
Ram is same as original but with different heatsinks as they had no large/identical ones available
I would have thought that they could have removed the heatsinks from the faulty sticks but hey ho no problem
You risk damaging the IC doing that and void the warranty.

Soldato
Found this while looking to see if warranty was transferable before I bought more Teamgroup B die for another build, already have 32GB in my current PC.

Seems best to look at other brands if that's the warranty policy. Fair enough on second hand items from a well known seller of used items that may be a few years old when you get them. But not what I expect from a lifetime warranty on a new item.

An alternative if available or market value is what I'd expect.

Back
Top Bottom