i am fat

Caporegime
I think this will be your biggest issue. Not 'not going to the gym' but perhaps the lack of will power? I've started listening to a few health related podcasts while I cycle and one of them said will power has been proven to work like a muscle - the more it's successfully used, the stronger it becomes. It was then explained to just sit and click your fingers 50 times. This will increase your will power! I don't know how much I believe all that, but I do feel that if I had to put my finger on one thing that has allowed me to lose all my weight, it would be will power.

Another point made is people say sometimes they don't have the time for the gym, or jogging, or cycling. It was rephrased as you're not prepared to give up time doing something else to commit the time to the gym, jogging or cycling, which I thought was an interesting point. (Well, that one was actually about learning to code, but I think the principal is the same)

It is indeed lack of will power and motivation. It definitely isnt that I don't want to give up the time, as I spend far too much of my time doing nothing... Sitting around aimlessly browsing the internet, sleeping far too much, mooching around the house being bored... I don't even have the motivation to play a videogame so I just watch other people play them on Youtube. Depression/related issues are fun like that, I need to break the cycle!

To be honest, that is one of the main reasons I got so fat in the first place. Comfort eating.

Man of Honour
I’m on the wagon of trying to lose weight at the moment. It’s all very much as calories out > calories in but just doing that via diet is unsustainable, has to be a complete lifestyle shift really.

Healthy eating really just means sensible portions and don’t pork out on crap. Avoiding the mid-week drinking also helps. Get on the Pepsi Max!

As for exercise, walking is brilliant. How much do you walk, really? Probably not that much. I’m trying to get in at least an hour of walking a day on top of my normal commuting walking. A week of that is a whopping 7 hours of walking. It racks up!

Finally, the point I wanted to get to: all of the ‘bootcamp’ sessions that run in parks are awesome. Kill yourself for 45 minutes with strangers and collapse. It’s really motivational doing it all together. Did it for the first time of Saturday and has to wonder off away from everyone as I thought I was going to be sick :o But will absolutely be going back. I think it’s definitely worth getting your heart rate really, really high every now and again. Keeps your body on its toes.

Goal is to lose 1.5 stone by Christmas.... challenge accepted!

Soldato
IIRC 700-800 calories is what they put type 2 diabetics on for a while to try and reset them back to 'normal'. It's not a good idea for very long if you're not under medical supervision though, your body just goes into starvation mode and your metabolism drops (when I've done something similar I just felt exhausted and cold all the time). Maybe a 5/2 type diet with 2@800 and the rest at 1200-1500 might work, but when I'm in belt tightening mode I find consistent eating patterns are easier to stick to.

Not that any calorific reduction is ever particularly easy... not for a greedy git like me anyway.

I don't drink booze or carbonated drinks, but I am partial to strong, sweet coffee (as my dentist will confirm). I enjoy it too much to give up, but when I'm cutting back I'll make half a cup of coffee with one sugar rather than a whole cup with two.

Calorie guestimating's 'easy' after a while. If it tastes nice, it's got too many calories. ;) The very best thing about cutting back on fat and sugar generally is how great things like a decent apple taste. Kind of puts your palate back to pre-industrial times when harvest was a thing of real joy. But that doesn't stop me going back to the Hobnobs as soon as I've hit my target weight. Life is one long temptation!
Starvation mode isn’t a thing, especially not for someone who’s overweight or obese, the body will only slow the metabolism at low body fat levels.

Soldato
Also it might be more like 900 or 1000 calories,

The best thing to do is work out your TDEE (there are various calculators online), which roughly shows your expenditure for your age, weight and activity level. Then just drop 200 calories from that total. You'll still lose weight but you'll be less miserable than you would be by only eating 1000 calories which should make it more sustainable for you in the long run.

Soldato
Had a little mental breakdown just over a week ago about my weight which wasn't one my proudest moments in life, thankfully i've managed to pick myself back up, i've been huge all my life with every now and then i'd get the motivation for a few months drop good few ST of weight and then give up, Last week really put me on a downer which has prompted me to start dieting again.

First week so far i've stuck to just 3 meals a day (Porridge when I get into work, chicken and veg or rice for lunch, and most of my dinner when i get home from work has either been chicken or steak with veg with the watery gravy) as well as 2-3L of water (Work has a main's fitted water despenser which is nice and ice cold), Feel alright so far haven't craved yet, planning to join the gym again so I can start swimming again I enjoy swimming and despite my massive size i'm a pretty strong swimmer.

I've also printed out a little calender which I plan to tick or cross depending if that day was a good or bad day, hoping it'll help monitor and keep a check if I have a bad day and pick myself back up and make the next day a good one.

End goal for me is to lose 8-10ST which I know i is going to be a massive battle, but needs to be done to be considered "normal" weight, plus its one of my family member's wedding in Nov so need to not look like the michelin man in a suit :p

Caporegime
The best thing to do is work out your TDEE (there are various calculators online), which roughly shows your expenditure for your age, weight and activity level. Then just drop 200 calories from that total. You'll still lose weight but you'll be less miserable than you would be by only eating 1000 calories which should make it more sustainable for you in the long run.

They say 2500 calories. I don't think that would help me much. :p

Soldato
They say 2500 calories. I don't think that would help me much. :p

That's probably about right, your body is burning that much each day to stay as it is, so by dropping 200 you'll still loose weight but you won't feel like crap. Obviously, as you lose weight, you need to readjust your intake as your body will be burning less.

Try it for a couple weeks and monitor, then you can alter your calorie intake as needed. No point in starving yourself and feeling miserable when you don't have to! :)

Man of Honour
I know I remember it slowing down from last time. :)

Also it might be more like 900 or 1000 calories, I forgot to count the ice coffee I like to have at work in the morning, and general tea/coffee with one sugar (down from two) throughout the day.
Cut out all the sugar from the coffee/tea - that is just utterly, utterly ‘dead’ calories. What an easy way to lose them! Use sweetener if really necessary. You’ll soon be of the view that sugar in these drinks is blergh!

Man of Honour
Also, I can highly recommend Huel, which I’m currently sat here drinking. Far more tasty and filling than the usual whey protein shakes.

Soldato
Starvation mode isn’t a thing
Perhaps not, per se, but as someone who's routinely lost between half a stone and a stone just about every year for the last 30 years (I like eating and I also like not buying new trousers!) I know that I definitely have a "starvation-like mode". If I cut back too hard, I feel significantly colder, whatever the time of year, and totally exhausted if I do more than very light exercise. It might only be because my body's not able to eat itself fast enough to compensate for plentiful and easily digested colon calories, but to me it certainly feels like a starvation mode has kicked in.

It's possible that slight variations is individual fat-burn rates (or calorific accessibility due to gut bacteria imbalances), or whatever) may account for why some folk struggle more than others. You're going to feel less satisfied, on the same calories, and less energetic, leading to the 'it's my metabolism' myth... though I guess you could argue that if some people access their fat less efficiently than most, this is part of their metabolism on the supply side rather than burn side.

Anyway, we're getting bogged down in the details, as these kind of threads often become. As someone who's had long term semi-success keeping my greedy appetite and weight under control the hard way, I know that at least 50% of my battle is mental... I've got to really want to cut back! The rest is cutting out snacks, reducing portion size (except for vegetables), and avoiding fat and sugar wherever possible. The less fat and sugar I have, the less I crave it. Except now, obviously, when I want Hobnobs dipped in microwaved Double Decker bars... which isn't something I've ever tried, but my imagination is rather cruel when I'm trying hard to be healthy.

Last week really put me on a downer which has prompted me to start dieting again.
I have a pretty gloomy personality, given half an excuse, which may be one reason why I've always turned to food for easy 'support'. I can only imagine how I'd have struggled if I hadn't also been able to go through my annual 'correction torture' phase. The mental side of things is so important, and so hard to maintain; I've never dared put on more than I can lose in about 4-6 weeks because I'm not sure I'd make it any further! I routinely don't make it past 4-6 days!

If it helps, in recent years I've become a carer for my mother with dementia and have struggled to keep the calories out of my face in a way I've never struggled before. But when I need inspiration I think about the bloke I've passed regularly when out walking the dog, or rushing into town for shopping while Mum's asleep. He was unhealthily large when I first noticed him. But then I noticed that every time I saw him there was a little bit less of him and his stride was a bit more confident.

One day I decided I'd take a risk and asked him, a complete stranger, if he was walking to help with losing weight. He wasn't instantly offended, thankfully, and I congratulated him on an incredibly job so far, and wished him all the best for future loses. He seemed genuinely pleased that his hard work/walk had been noticed... but it's quite possible he wandered off thinking 'what a twit!' or something very similar. :)

Whether I'm a twit or not, don't underestimate the power of simply leaving the front door and walking... preferably somewhere where there's plenty of greenery, even if it's only trees along a road. We need greens inside as well as out to be healthy.

Jeez, I go on a bit, don't I! Anyone would think I was hungry and finding displacement activity in between less glamorous chores which might normally be alleviated with dunked Ginger Nuts. ;)

Soldato
It is indeed lack of will power and motivation. It definitely isnt that I don't want to give up the time, as I spend far too much of my time doing nothing... Sitting around aimlessly browsing the internet, sleeping far too much, mooching around the house being bored... I don't even have the motivation to play a videogame so I just watch other people play them on Youtube. Depression/related issues are fun like that, I need to break the cycle!

To be honest, that is one of the main reasons I got so fat in the first place. Comfort eating.

Getting out and exercising will help fix that issue.

Soldato
Well just got back from my lunch + lunchtime stroll and so far today based on what I've eaten the FitBit reckons I'm at 1,883 calories in, 1,596 calories out... but with the only food left to go today being a homemade Chow Mein this evening and 30g of protein powder for a gym session after work I think I should probably be okay

Soldato
Results are in... I managed to bother to do it for 1 day! FitBit reckons:

2,593 cals in... 3,420 cals out... Seems quite high but a 20 minute walk at lunch + a pretty decent gym session for ~1.5hrs after work maybe it's possible?

And of the food it also thinks the split is 54% Carbs - 24% Fat - 22% Protein, which seems okay... will be interesting to see what the stats are like tomorrow (a day where I don't go to the gym)

Associate
RE the 800 calorie diet, the OP is probably doing Michael Mosley's fast 800 diet.

I've done a bit of reading into this subject and extreme calorie deficit is fine for a number of weeks (depends how fat you are) and it is then recommended to go into 5/2 after the initial fat loss stage.

Soldato
Results are in... I managed to bother to do it for 1 day! FitBit reckons:

2,593 cals in... 3,420 cals out... Seems quite high but a 20 minute walk at lunch + a pretty decent gym session for ~1.5hrs after work maybe it's possible?

And of the food it also thinks the split is 54% Carbs - 24% Fat - 22% Protein, which seems okay... will be interesting to see what the stats are like tomorrow (a day where I don't go to the gym)

Fitness trackers are hugely inaccurate when it comes to energy expenditure in terms of overestimating calorie burn. There's lots of calculations and fancy calculators online for finding calorie intakes you can use, but in my experience simply starting off with taking your bodyweight in pounds (whatever it is in kilos x2.2) then multiplying by 10-12 does the job for most people as far as a reasonable deficit goes, unless you're extremely sedentary (in which case you may need to go as low as 8-10). 12-14 should usually be maintenance unless you're an outlier in terms of how active you are. From there you can adjust intake up or down depending on what happens scale-wise over the weeks.

Back
Top Bottom