• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
Being MSI they will be the ones to avoid - The recommendation has to be wait for the sapphire cards right?

I would wager that the Gigabyte Windforce
will be the one to get although, the MSI gaming X is a two slot solution.

The Sapphire 5700XT Toxic will be the daddy card but i think we are in for a wait.

Man of Honour
I would wager that the Gigabyte Windforce
will be the one to get although, the MSI gaming X is a two slot solution.

The Sapphire 5700XT Toxic will be the daddy card but i think we are in for a wait.

I dunno, at the low end so rx550 type cards the gigabytes weren't as good as all the other vendors in my testing. I do have a gigabyte 7 though so perhaps a different proposition at the high end.

Soldato
yeah the low end cards used a setup similar to msi with two fans.

In my head i would expect the 5700XT will use the triple fan triple slot Windforce cooler as per GTX1080 as would the Toxic.

Associate
They are OK, what people mean is Sapphire and Powercolor solutions are simply superior. :)

I remember buying an XFX 4850 factory OC card that kept crashing.. took it back to OcUK (waited around for about half hour while it was tested) and you guys replaced it for me. Had similar issues with the replacement so a little underclock fixed it.. eventually sent it to a friend in Alabama :D

The XFX 4890 i bought was decent though a bit toasty.

Always stuck with Sapphire after that, 6870/7950/RX480.. zero issues. Now using PowerColor Vega 56 with zero issues so far.

I'll always stick with Sapphire or PowerColor from now on as been excellent cards for me :)

Damn i even had a Sapphire 3850 years ago that was issue free too :p

Associate
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64- for me the best air-cooled card I have ever owned.
Built quality, look and weight.
I would wait for Sapphire what the can do with Navii.
Is 5700 locked to 1800mhz on core by AMD?

Soldato
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64- for me the best air-cooled card I have ever owned.
Built quality, look and weight.
I would wait for Sapphire what the can do with Navii.
Is 5700 locked to 1800mhz on core by AMD?

Apparently yes 5700 is locked to 1800 so it won't canibalize the 5700XT. However seems like is a driver lock. So flashing bios, or hacking registry might work.
We shall see the next few days, when people grab and start tinkering with them. At least historically since Hawaii, any locks on V56, 290/390 were bypassed by flashing V64, 290X/390X bios.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Any news on AIB cards?

Scott Kelman (VP & GM Radeon) said:
Hey all, Custom AIB designs will be hitting the market ~mid August.

Also, since I know there are a lot of threads on this blower design:

The Radeon group historically has had a bad reputation of producing product launch charts that didn’t match up to real world performance. Love it or hate it the blower allowed us to guarantee performance in every system to match our launch charts. Not everyone cools their PC as good as a reviewer and definitely not as good as some of the pictures you guys have shared. It was my goal to clean all of this up so that you can trust our performance you hear from us on stage.

But the feedback over the past few weeks has been really good for us to read. Going forward:

1). If blower design are used also offer dual/tri-axial options at launch for the enthusiasts. I like this idea. 2). Have reviews hit before shelf date (working on this with team) 3). Keep jebaiting NV - easily done.

Keep posting guys. I’m reading.

Scott

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/catck3/psa_5700_series_custom_aib_designs/

Soldato
OP
Everytime I see a comment like this I feel like it's extremely short-sighted and arrogant.

First off, your post assumes that AMD hasn't considered all of these arguments in advance, and still decided against it for various reasons.

Second, the Nvidia argument is ridiculous; the theory is that because Nvidia has more marketshare, that they have more to lose, but it's quite the opposite. Nvidia is in a position where people buy their GPUs on reputation alone, even when they are more expensive than better performing AMD cards in a particular price segment, and this was true even when they were using reference blowers. The vast majority of users know nothing about coolers or anything, they'll just buy whatever their friends tell them to buy, and that's usually Nvidia. The problem is that Nvidia can actually afford to dictate the market, because they're on top. If a Radeon card underperforms, people will blame AMD, because AMD is the underdog and doesn't have the same reputational advantages, whereas if a GeForce underperforms, many people won't even notice because there's a confirmation bias at play that makes them think it's better even when it's not. Nvidia is in a position where they can afford to play games, they have the leeway, whereas AMD cannot. This is basic human psychology.

Also, I can guarantee you, that the number of people with "poorly ventilated cases" are far more numerous than you think, your characterization of "some smuck somewhere" is really ignorant; you really think a multi-billion dollar company is deciding on the designs of their cards because of the needs of 1% of the market or something? I've got news for you, we on this subreddit, are the minority, the "shmucks" are the majority of consumers, not us. Another thing is that bargain hunters probably make up a bigger share of AMD's audience than Nvidia, and these types of users are likely to be people that may not have the best PC cooling.

Furthermore, Scott (OP) already said in their post that AMD would consider having axial fan options in addition to blower at launch, so what's the big deal here?

Lastly, it's just one more month until AIB cards so this entire whining about blowers is really pointless. Saying you don't like reference blowers is one thing, but acting like it's bad business is making quite a few claims about how corporate strategy works, and I'm honestly kind of annoyed at seeing a bunch of kids on reddit act like they understand product R&D and marketing better than people who get paid to do it. This launch is perfectly fine for AMD, and the launch of AIB cards next month will generate more news headlines for them which is good. And I guarantee you in 30ish days, no one will care or even remember all the **** people are stirring right now about blowers; hell, I'll be surprised if people even remember in a week, since they'll have moved on to the next thing to whine about.

Have to agree with what this chap says in that reddit thread.

Part of me thinks, perhaps it's an age thing, that the younger generation now have so much less patience than us oldies have. Is this due to phones having most things at our fingertips, in an instant? So when you have to wait a little bit of time (for AIB cards), they aren't used to having to wait. All good things come to those that wait, an old saying but really true these days.

AMD are on an upward trajectory across the board IMO. Especially in CPU's. When they get the revenues from the CPU's to plough into GPU's, then we'll see even better improvements. Good to finally have some competition in the GPU and CPU markets again. This will only benefit us all in the long run.

Soldato
I am an older geeza and i tell you what ruined it. Air conditioned review rooms and open cases. some of them on torture open bench rigs.

regarding the young kids on reddit, paid nvidia shills in south asia i feel are more to blame.

Associate
well i may aswell hang on until then cant see any point in grabbing a graphics card with blower style cooler on may aswell just shoot myself in the foot.

Back
Top Bottom