• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900x vs Intel 9900k for VR

Associate
Not seen any tests but think the 3700x might have the advantage. My 3770k still seemed to do ok in normal gaming but the extra load of oculus rift seemed to push it over the edge. Think there is at least 1 extra cores worth of processing to handle the cams / tracking etc.

Associate
Coming from 3770k and looking to upgrade. Mainly sim race in VR so will be keeping my eye out for relevant reviews/comments too.

I really want something to last me a good few years and tempted just to say sod it and go for 3900x!

Main difficulty I'm having is deciding on the motherboard...

Soldato
I guess it will depend on the title and the refresh rate of your headset. If pushed I would say Intel, but the margin has closed considerably.
The Unreal and Unity engines are popular for VR so perhaps look for other game benchmarks which use these engines.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd go with a 3900X simply because it opens up for so many other opportunties than just gaming - where it's still very close to a 9900K.
I've ordered a R 9 3900X for my ITX machine. I am sure a R7 3700X would have made more sense, but I like to keep my option open and be able to do more at once.

Associate
Coming from 3770k and looking to upgrade. Mainly sim race in VR so will be keeping my eye out for relevant reviews/comments too.

I really want something to last me a good few years and tempted just to say sod it and go for 3900x!

Main difficulty I'm having is deciding on the motherboard...

Grab a high end X470 - Gigabyte Aorus X470 Gaming 7, ASUS Crosshair VII Hero, ASRock X470 Taichi, or MSI X470 GAMING M7. I'd personally flip a coin between the Gigabyte and ASUS boards, the Gigabyte has the better VRM but the ASUS has the better BIOS.

Remember that there isn't much overclocking headroom so unless you're going for PCI Express 4.0 you'll not be missing out on anything, even the 16 core will be fine on those boards. The Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 supports PCIe 4.0 on the F40 BIOS by the way though AMD don't officially sanction this, it's too late as it's already out there! The Ryzen 3000 series offers better value for money over Intel and there will still be the opportunity to upgrade to Zen 2 + dieshrink in 12-18 months time before AMD move on to a new platform so there's still another generation of upgrade path, Intel will inevitably require a new platform for the next gen of chips.

I will personally be waiting for the Ryzen 9 3950x in September before I put my money where my mouth is and upgrade from my 2700 (which I'm finding to be more enough for VR though I'll need an upgrade since the 2700 will bottleneck the 2080 Ti I'm upgrading to soon). I have reservations about the 3900x due to the CCX layout, with its disabled chiplets (12 cores over 2 chiplets, 2 x 4 core CCXs with 2 core disabled on one CCX per chiplet for 3900X - could cause issues with cross core comms in highly threaded games as it could introduce a bottleneck, this may be the reason why some games scored better with a 3700x in the reviews despite the higher clocks and greater number of cores on the 3900x. If a game is utilising 8 cores/16 threads then on a 3700/3800/3950 the scheduler can place all threads across two cores on the same chiplet, with the 3950x those threads will need to be spread across two chiplets and two/three cores). I'll either be grabbing the 3800x or the 3950x dependent on the benchies come september.

Last edited:
Associate
Toms has the 3900x at 280fps in vrmark, 9900k is 286. This is pbo vs a 5ghz 9900k.

Stock results have the 3900x at 277fps and the 9900k at 250fps so if you're not overclocking the 9900k to the max then the 3900x wins.

Soldato
Whilst a synthetic benchmark is a good comparator for modern multi-threaded performance, it doesn't really represent real VR titles. Just in the same way that a good 3DMark score doesn't always equate to good gaming performance. If anything, VR titles tend to use the older gaming engines which are not so well optimised for high thread counts.

Back
Top Bottom