• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So, is anyone getting the 2060 Super today?

Associate
And if so, which one?

I have to say, I’m not totally extatic about buying the card.
My main reason for upgrading from my old R9 280X is for VR, and the fact that AMD’s offering at this price point seems better value than NVIDIA’s is annoying. VR games run a lot better on NVIDIA’s cards at this point, so the money saved on getting an AMD card would be negated by the inevitable lower optimisation.

Furthermore, that price. £400 mark for their lower tier card is a hard pill to swallow.
If I could afford the 2070S I’d get that, but I just can’t justify spending any more money on a single component.

Haven’t seen many people talking about the 2060S other than it being a crap deal, so is anyone taking the plunge with me?
These are clearly great cards; but the purchasing of one doesn’t exactly fill me with joy, even though it’s the best card I could get for what I want to do on my budget. :p

Associate
OP
Cant you get a Vega 56 instead for almost half the price once you sell the games or are they no good at VR?

Is the Vega 56 reasonably comparable to the performance of the 2060S?

AMD cards generally run worse for VR, so considering I’m buying the card primerally for this usage it’s a difficult decision. I meam, maybe considering the price difference I could get past the lower performance.

Soldato

AMD cards generally run worse for VR, so considering I’m buying the card primerally for this usage it’s a difficult decision. I meam, maybe considering the price difference I could get past the lower performance.

The new Navi cards are quite a bit different so possibly run better better in VR. Need to see some tests to confirm though.

Soldato

Stop writing "generally" in the year 2019.
V64 and V56 yeah have low minimum FPS (out of the box reference models) which matters for VR. However at the 2060S price range, there is a 5700XT. Which is far superior by miles, in every aspect, including 0.1% and 1% low FPS (for VR).
Hell is in par (and beats some times) the far more expensive 2070S and 1080Ti on that segment which interests you for VR. (0.1% and 1%)

Soldato
I do agree with this I’d be looking at cards as such
Vega 56 @ £250ish
5700 @ £339
5700XT @ £379
2070 S Asus EVO @ £475
2080 S @ £669 on 23rd August
2080Ti from £999

The 5700XT is a fair bit faster than the 2060S so not sure why OP is considering a lesser card. They are the same price but 2060S is slower. Perhaps he hasn't seen any benchmarks...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The new Navi cards are quite a bit different so possibly run better better in VR. Need to see some tests to confirm though.

Indeed. I was wondering whether this might be the case. Will have to wait and see.
Considering I’m new to VR and have only used my old R9 280X, I have no first hand experience as to what NVIDIA’s higher performance actually equates to in terms of gameplay. So it’s a bit of a difficult one.

Soldato
Indeed. I was wondering whether this might be the case. Will have to wait and see.
Considering I’m new to VR and have only used my old R9 280X, I have no first hand experience as to what NVIDIA’s higher performance actually equates to in terms of gameplay. So it’s a bit of a difficult one.

280X is 7y old card as is a rebranded 7970.
For VR what matters is the low end of the fps. you need to look for 0.1% and 1% values on benchmarks.
Gamers Nexus video on 5700XT has such values for dozen GPUS all way to RTX 2080Ti. Have a look.

Soldato
V64 and V56 yeah have low minimum FPS (out of the box reference models) which matters for VR. However at the 2060S price range, there is a 5700XT. Which is far superior by miles, in every aspect, including 0.1% and 1% low FPS (for VR).
Hell is in par (and beats some times) the far more expensive 2070S and 1080Ti on that segment which interests you for VR. (0.1% and 1%)

Have you seen these cards benchmarked on actual VR games?
Usually they are pretty poorly optimised in VR and end up massively favouring nvidia cards even when other games favour the red team, hence his comment. Looking at .1 and 1% on non-VR games isn't really going to give you a good lead on how actual VR games will run.

Associate
OP

What has the year got to do with my comment or the issue?
NVIDIA cards generally do perform better in VR than AMD cards. That’s just how it is. Better VR features and considering the unreal engine/NVIDIA relationship, performance is just better in the games that use that engine.

Granted, I need to consider the fact that better performance of the AMD cards may negate the benefit NVIDIA cards have. That’s something I need to look into.

Associate
OP
280X is 7y old card as is a rebranded 7970.
For VR what matters is the low end of the fps. you need to look for 0.1% and 1% values on benchmarks.
Gamers Nexus video on 5700XT has such values for dozen GPUS all way to RTX 2080Ti. Have a look.

I’ll have a look, certainly.

Though it isn’t just about low end FPS. Engine optimisation and VR features on the NVIDIA side are what people seem to be discussing.

Soldato
NVIDIA cards generally do perform better in VR than AMD cards. That’s just how it is. Better VR features and considering the unreal engine/NVIDIA relationship, performance is just better in the games that use that engine.
Well, Witcher 3 has always traditional run better on Nvidia than AMD by a fair bit, but the 5700XT has beaten even the 2070 on that game. So it might worth holding off to see how the Navi perform for VR.

Man of Honour

Granted, I need to consider the fact that better performance of the AMD cards may negate the benefit NVIDIA cards have. That’s something I need to look into.
nVidia has traditionally run better for some games and VR than AMD GCN. But the 5700 and 5700 XT are on a new RDNA architecture. RDNA is proving to be better than GCN was on those games but we don't yet know if that translates to better VR performance.

Back
Top Bottom