*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Associate
I have the same shoe but have been wondering lately whether im doing myself a disadvantage by wearing them for DL as i already have long legs.

Am i reading this right, they are lower at the heel than the toe end? What does that do for you over and above a standard deadlift slip on?

You are reading it a little wrong. They are not lower at the heel than the toe end. More almost flat with heel and toe nearly at the same level.

Lifters, have a much greater raised heel than other training shoes, and have a very solid flat sole. Makes them great for all the squat based movements, but absolutely horrendous for other movements in and around the gym. You wouldn't do sprints in them for example.

Metcons, like Reebok Nano's are a multi purpose training shoe. Very popular in CrossFit circles because we can do many lifts in them, without sacrificing the ability to go and jump on a box, or climb a rope, or do shorter runs.

Associate
Anyone painted old plates before?

I'm going to use a wire brush drill attachment on some York 50lbs plates i picked up yesterday

Just wondered what paint to use

9zo8i1.jpg

2irkvw7.jpg

Man of Honour
I have the same shoe but have been wondering lately whether im doing myself a disadvantage by wearing them for DL as i already have long legs.

Depends on a number of variables, but generally it is better to lift without any heel lift whatsoever. Will it disadvantage you? A bit. Will it matter in the grand scheme of things? Not much, but there might be a bit of a difference in how you actually move.

But by the same token: if your form isn't great, then it won't be great regardless.

I deadlift in my weightlifting shoes because it is dialled into the first pull of the clean and the 1.5" of heel lift does make a functional difference. But my heaviest ever deadlift was done in high heels, and it isn't something that worries me.

Depending on what your aspirations are, it might matter... You aren't that tall, but try lifting without them and see what happens. You should find it a bit easier to get your hips involved, but I have never lifted in Metcon so have no idea how big a difference you would actually feel.

Am i reading this right, they are lower at the heel than the toe end? What does that do for you over and above a standard deadlift slip on?

No - other way around (Somnambulist was referring to the drop from heel to toe).

Soldato
Okay dudes, here are my 18 month progress pics in cringe pose style. I dont have a day 0 pic unfortunately but let me tell you that it was not pretty.

Off to a festival tomorrow and though I didn't reach the point I want to get to, i went way further than i think i ever could. Going to see out the summer lean and then finally put some muscle on.

Thanks for all the support and tips dudes :)

20190709-184624.jpg

20190709-182955.jpg

Screenshot-20190709-183146-My-Fitness-Pal.jpg

Associate
Okay dudes, here are my 18 month progress pics in cringe pose style. I dont have a day 0 pic unfortunately but let me tell you that it was not pretty.

Off to a festival tomorrow and though I didn't reach the point I want to get to, i went way further than i think i ever could. Going to see out the summer lean and then finally put some muscle on.

20190709-184624.jpg

20190709-182955.jpg

Well done !!!

Soldato

20190709-184624.jpg

20190709-182955.jpg

giphy.gif

Permabanned
So I've shifted all the weight down to focus on form, specifically in my compound movements. You guys mind giving me a few pointers as to what I'm doing wrong/right in my RDLs? As I said, not much weight here put just want to get things right before I start throwing the 20kg plates back on.

Permabanned

20190709-184624.jpg

20190709-182955.jpg

That is AMAZING my man! YAAAAAAAAAASSSSS! So proud of you, even though we've never met xD

Man of Honour

20190709-184624.jpg

20190709-182955.jpg

Good work!

Soldato

Awesome work mate, excellent progress, enjoy the summer and then clean bulk away.

You guys mind giving me a few pointers as to what I'm doing wrong/right in my RDLs?

More hip hinge / glute smash needed. Hinging back in to the movement is the eccentric, focus on loading up the hamstrings here, and then you really need to slam the concentric as well, firing the glutes and thrusting hard. Try to maintain a neutral spine all the way up including your head, so chin down.

Here is my RDL's from yesterday, just for reference on the points I am making.

Permabanned
Awesome work mate, excellent progress, enjoy the summer and then clean bulk away.

More hip hinge / glute smash needed. Hinging back in to the movement is the eccentric, focus on loading up the hamstrings here, and then you really need to slam the concentric as well, firing the glutes and thrusting hard. Try to maintain a neutral spine all the way up including your head, so chin down.

Here is my RDL's from yesterday, just for reference on the points I am making.

Good lord man, that's practically softcore!

So basically, hump the hip of the bar? xD

Back
Top Bottom