Anyone else feel this way?

Soldato
Best not to stay in bed too long: it just makes you feel terrible. Give yourself half an hour, maybe an hour, more time in bed than a work day, then get up, shower, do the normal morning routine so that you get set for the day.

But, also, don't beat yourself up about not being 100% productive. It's good to run a bit slower sometimes.

Associate
I don't like to take too much time off of work in one go, as the time goes really quickly and I end up not doing anything. I now just take off Fridays to get a bit of a longer weekend, and I spread that over a bunch of months on the last half of the year. I enjoy this more than taking a week or 2 off at the same time.

Caporegime
Yes.
I sometimes have to drag myself out to do things because they are 'a hassle'
Its where having a gf is really good as it gets me out even more. And why I would never date someone who doesn't like the outdoors

If I don't do something at weekend I get down in retrospect, but at time it's easy to do nothing

What I try to do is take my kayak out/go to beach/explore a mountain or forest, at least once a week. As I know I'll love it, feel better after. But it still takes effort to get out.

Nothing worse for me than getting to Sunday night knowing I've done nothing. That really gets me down.

This is why I moved to Wales. To do this stuff more. Moving closer to my hobbies and making them easier to do.

OP, I'd find something I genuinely enjoy, feels like you've done something, refreshes you, bonus if it's healthy.
Try and focus on how that makes you happy (when you are feeling lazy) and force yourself to do it.

Soldato
That moment when you suddenly realist it's after lunchtime you are deep in a gaming session and still wearing your dressing gown...

As above my top tip for time off is as mentioned above, never start doing anything else before you have showered, eaten breakfast and done one chore.

Soldato
Yes.
I sometimes have to drag myself out to do things because they are 'a hassle'
Its where having a gf is really good as it gets me out even more. And why I would never date someone who doesn't like the outdoors

If I don't do something at weekend I get down in retrospect, but at time it's easy to do nothing

What I try to do is take my kayak out/go to beach/explore a mountain or forest, at least once a week. As I know I'll love it, feel better after. But it still takes effort to get out.

Nothing worse for me than getting to Sunday night knowing I've done nothing. That really gets me down.

This is why I moved to Wales. To do this stuff more. Moving closer to my hobbies and making them easier to do.

OP, I'd find something I genuinely enjoy, feels like you've done something, refreshes you, bonus if it's healthy.
Try and focus on how that makes you happy (when you are feeling lazy) and force yourself to do it.

I find your post fairly similar to my position! I am content and very well versed at staying inside and doing nothing all weekend. I'm practically a pro at it. But I hate it at the same time.

My girlfriend is Welsh (from the Breacon Beacons) so she naturally enjoys dragging me outdoors! Which I groan about initially then I really enjoy it after a while. She's really got me into Badminton which I never thought I'd get obsessed with but it's addictive

Caporegime
I find your post fairly similar to my position! I am content and very well versed at staying inside and doing nothing all weekend. I'm practically a pro at it. But I hate it at the same time.

My girlfriend is Welsh (from the Breacon Beacons) so she naturally enjoys dragging me outdoors! Which I groan about initially then I really enjoy it after a while. She's really got me into Badminton which I never thought I'd get obsessed with but it's addictive

Do you like that she drags you out? I think that's the key thing. I like being dragged out. I can do it myself, but really helps having someone else.

I guess its same as gym buddy More likely to go if someone is relying on you

Soldato
Sorry to hijack the op but re the meditation, does it work? Does it help to ‘settle’ the mind? I struggle with sleep, my mind is usually a buzz with all matter or guff. Even when I do sleep I’m often still tired the next day, docs have confirmed nothing physically wrong - I’ve been like this a far back as I can remember. Someone else made reference in something I read on insomnia ages ago about meditation being a great help but I’ve no clue where to start to look into it and when I mentioned it to a doctor they looked at me like I was of my head!

P.s. mods, not looking medical advice just a pointer in the direction of where to look into meditation.

If you want an alternative, there are some great sleep hypnosis tracks on Amazon (for free). We use one called "Sleep Hypnosis by Positive Life Therapy Limited" every night. I sleep like a log but my wife often finds it hard to switch off. Since using this, no issues at all. Worth a punt for nothing. :) FYI, we have an Echo Dot in the bedroom that we play it through but I guess you could use a phone or some such.

Soldato
Like most things in life it’s a skill that can be honed, it can take years to get to the point where you can shift your state of consciousness but it’s certainly possible to just settle your mind within a few weeks/months of starting.
cheers, yea not looking to reach an outer body state or traverse the tantric plane :p, just want to try and shut the auld nogging down a bit to see if it helps with sleep length/quality. i'll have a watch of the vids nitefly posted and see how i get on. i've survived this long in life with about 3 or 4 hours kip a night so no biggie if it doesn't work. just looking to try something different to see if it helps.

If you want an alternative, there are some great sleep hypnosis tracks on Amazon (for free). We use one called "Sleep Hypnosis by Positive Life Therapy Limited" every night. I sleep like a log but my wife often finds it hard to switch off. Since using this, no issues at all. Worth a punt for nothing. :) FYI, we have an Echo Dot in the bedroom that we play it through but I guess you could use a phone or some such.
i've tried a few and they usually annoy the crap out of me but i'll give it a whirl.

thanks for the replies and apologies to @Jasoncmor for the hijack

Soldato
Do you like that she drags you out? I think that's the key thing. I like being dragged out. I can do it myself, but really helps having someone else.

I guess its same as gym buddy More likely to go if someone is relying on you

Yes! For one reason or another I am very content with being bored 99% of the time. If it's overcast and rainy outside, no chance of getting me out there. But when she gets me out there I always enjoy it. Nice to find new little trails locally or back where she is from to take the dog out and about.

We're the opposites but that is why it works so well. She speeds me up and I slow her down

Soldato
Sometimes a lazy do nothing day is great. Saturday I got up, had a shower and put on some shorts and a T-Shirt, then I just vegged with Stranger Things for most of the day :)

However the previous Sunday I woke up and decided to do something so drove to Southend and spent a few hours walking the seafront, eating donuts and ice cream and enjoying the sun.

Associate
OP
Sounds like you’re being hard on yourself. If you work 6 days a week your heart is probably screaming to sit around and do naff all. Your brain, meanwhile, doesn’t know how to turn off!

Sounds a little silly, but have you tried meditating? Just to give your mind a little peace and quite and give yourself a bit more context :)

Been meaning to try meditating for quite some time now, but not got around to actually doing it yet :(

Embrace the boredom.
Sounds daft but just because your not doing anything productive doesn't mean you're doing nothing...well it kinda does but that's the point. It's nice to do nothing and I've got pretty darn good at it.
Learn to enjoy it!

Cheers :)

When I have a week off I usually spend the first day napping pretty much... I call it "recovery" :p

I spend the whole week not doing very much lol.

My dude, can I interest you in larping?

Which is what exactly? lol

You don't need to overcome it...Embrace it...:)

You've earnt it...

6 days a week and then 1 off is hardcore... Dunno what you do but i cant think of many jobs where that's a healthy ratio in the long run.

You are never gonna get to do much with just one day off, you obviously just need that day to recover from the others.

Also very contradicting, you are a person that has to keep busy but cba to do anything anyway....
Well ok ! Good luck i guess !

Apologies for the contradiction, So i mean i always have to be doing something, whether thats when I get home I go clean the kitchen, cook dinner, play a game (which I tend to be enjoying less and less these days) working on a project in the garage or doing something in the garden, I'm always doing something but always feel its not enough and then feel disappointed in myself that I haven't worked on something that I've put on hold because of lack of time or whatever, its just a vicious circle.

I think it works on a number of levels and I’ve only really benefitted from some of the simpler ones. If your mind is anything like mine it will get into a spin over things unnecessarily. By observing how you are physically feeling you become present, and it stops the mind thinking, which breaks the feedback loops in yourself and allows your mind to relax. These videos are more explanatory than I can be, which are from a company called ‘Headspace’.

Thank you, I will check them out :)

OP - I feel like that all the time. It’s at its worst when I’m on nights as @Rroff said. I have lots of things that I want to achieve and lots of things that I have to achieve in my spare time. I get frustrated that I’m not working at 100% all of the time. It’s easy to forget that you need to spend some time catching up on sleep and relaxation. I lose efficiency in pretty much every aspect in life if I work long stints or strange hours. It doesn’t mean that I can’t be productive in those times, but I’m definitely less efficient.

The key is forward planning. If you’ve got a day off 1:6 then plan to sit and watch TV for a couple of hours or have a proper lie in. I came off nights on Sunday morning and was meant to be writing my thesis yesterday. I felt horrendous, agitated, unable to focus and frustrated. So I didn’t do any writing and made a conscious decision to go and cut the grass and poke around the garden for the morning. I didn’t magically manage to write my whole thesis in the afternoon but actually managed to do some mock exam questions.

You have to be kind to yourself. Busy is good, but burnout is not. Oh, and if you really want to test your time management skills, have a child. It’ll blow your mind how much time you used to waste!

Cheers for your reply, and thankfully I don't have kids, putting up with my sisters child is enough for me haha

Best not to stay in bed too long: it just makes you feel terrible. Give yourself half an hour, maybe an hour, more time in bed than a work day, then get up, shower, do the normal morning routine so that you get set for the day.

But, also, don't beat yourself up about not being 100% productive. It's good to run a bit slower sometimes.

I don't like to take too much time off of work in one go, as the time goes really quickly and I end up not doing anything. I now just take off Fridays to get a bit of a longer weekend, and I spread that over a bunch of months on the last half of the year. I enjoy this more than taking a week or 2 off at the same time.

I used to get 6 weeks holiday in my last job and due to the stressful environment, and never any downtime, my week off would be spent doing basically nothing, which then annoys me as I haven't accomplished anything I want to do. :(

That moment when you suddenly realist it's after lunchtime you are deep in a gaming session and still wearing your dressing gown...

As above my top tip for time off is as mentioned above, never start doing anything else before you have showered, eaten breakfast and done one chore.

I will try the routine you mention and see how things work out :)
Cheers

Work/life balance, you don't have it working 6 days a week with one day off.
I work Mon/Wed/Saturday, and I'm finished by 11am...

I hope I could find something more interesting but has a better work / life balance, and pays a half decent wage, i'm only on living wage at the moment at just over 20k, its my first job in the new area I moved to, so its not going to last forever but i'm stuck with it until I do find something else.

Sometimes a lazy do nothing day is great. Saturday I got up, had a shower and put on some shorts and a T-Shirt, then I just vegged with Stranger Things for most of the day :)

However the previous Sunday I woke up and decided to do something so drove to Southend and spent a few hours walking the seafront, eating donuts and ice cream and enjoying the sun.

Some days I do that, just sit and watch a few episodes of something, but then I do get bored and have to do something else, then realise what I'm doing isn't something I feel I need to be doing. So then I feel a bit crappy for not doing what I want to do. I tend to start a project or something, then take a break from it, then start something else, then I tend to go back to things when time allows.

Admittedly my 6 days working 1 day off really doesn't help with the life I want to live.

Associate
Sorry to hijack the op but re the meditation, does it work? Does it help to ‘settle’ the mind? I struggle with sleep, my mind is usually a buzz with all matter or guff. Even when I do sleep I’m often still tired the next day, docs have confirmed nothing physically wrong - I’ve been like this a far back as I can remember. Someone else made reference in something I read on insomnia ages ago about meditation being a great help but I’ve no clue where to start to look into it and when I mentioned it to a doctor they looked at me like I was of my head!

P.s. mods, not looking medical advice just a pointer in the direction of where to look into meditation.

Exercise and meditation should help.

Meditation is great it can really calm your mind and feelings if done right and it’s pretty easy to just stick a guided meditation video on YouTube at no cost.

I subscribe to something called brain.fm and have been using it to get to sleep most nights recently as it has a certain guided track on it that knocks me out for some reason.

Associate
It's a strange one for me; I crave free time when I'm busy with work, or have plans all weekend, but then find myself at a loss and somehow 'empty' when I do.

Case in point, I get in from work after cycling home; after showering, changing and having something to eat I now have 2-3 hours of free time before bed. Normally I'm quite tired after work, and cycling 34 miles, but often I find myself blobbed on the sofa watching crap TV. Living alone, and away from a lot of my friends doesn't help. A lazy Sunday can be good, until I reach the evening and realise that my 'to-do' list hasn't been looked at, for which I beat myself up about.

I can't seem to raise much enthusiasm for much these days, and starting anything seems to be the hardest part. Once I've made a start, I'll get into it and make a good go of it, but actually starting is the real hurdle...

Soldato
Yep, especially during warm sunny days and it's quite humid.

Not been sleeping well this week due to the above even with fan on (breeze helps, but think the blade noise then affects me a bit unless I'm in deep sleep), so didn't set the alarm last night, but then slept through until gone 0700 and so missed the window of opportunity to get out for a long ride before the local rush hour traffic began. Now watching stage 6 of Tour De France, won't finish until around local rush hour has started, so I'm hoping to kick myself out the door on the bike around ~1800.

Associate
Work/life balance, you don't have it working 6 days a week with one day off.
I work Mon/Wed/Saturday, and I'm finished by 11am...

Lucky you!

I'm also on 6 days on 1 off to top it off it's rotated meaning every 6th week I'm working 2 weeks straight. Albeit the other part time work I only do 4h in the evening.

Soldato
Hi all.

Does anyone else find themselves feeling lazy / lethargic / cba when they have a day off?

I currently work 6 days a week and try to balance as much as my own personal activities in the evenings around work, I make lists of tasks I wish to complete within a month say, and I tick them off as I go, but it always seems I don't have enough time for them which is my first problem.
But I have just taken 2 days off that I'm owed in lieu from working bank holidays, yet I just can't be bothered to do anything, Just felt tired all day, done bare minimum and it gets annoying that I feel this way.
I am one of those people that have to keep myself busy, whether its doing some maintenance in the garden, working on a project in the garage, or cleaning, there is always something for me to do, I can't sit still and watch something on a streaming service for too long before I get bored.

Does anyone else experience this? How have you overcome it?

Cheers

Over time i built the habit of pushing everything i have to do to tomorrow, its just every day is tomorrow.

My new system is to do something immediately, no hesitation, no excuses. This applies to everything, not just chores. If you think X is a good idea do it immediately, forget about tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom