• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Man of Honour
Linus regularly attacks AMD for their Sunday launches. Says its a nightmare as his staff have to work all weekend bench marking. Because they only get the chips at the weekend. It's just stupid. Same for retailers. Don't know what AMD are playing at.

I didn't know this was a regular thing? Having looked back over previous releases it looks like most of them happen on Thursdays? Another thing isn't Linus just an intel shill anyway? I genuinely would never look to that kind of tech channel for anything informative.

Edit: Just occured to me that you could be talking Linus Torvalds (the linux god)?

Associate
Can't comment on the situation in any other countries, but I get the impression this is a common theme.

For Ryzen 3000 UK has probably the best supply situation in Europe mostly thanks to OCUK. For example in Scandinavia the initial stock was some 3600/3600X CPUs, zero 3700X/3800X/3900X. Some stores are miraculously expecting stock in the next few weeks, others are hopeful that end of July-early August first shipments might arrive. This was a paper launch for most of the world including most of Europe. Only US seemed to get decent stock.

Mostly the same situation today with 2060/2070 super cards. Only Nvidia had decent stock and that lasted less than an hour. On the positive side 5700/XT seem to have some stock, but only with the reference cooler so I hope no one falls for that.

Associate
Linus regularly attacks AMD for their Sunday launches. Says its a nightmare as his staff have to work all weekend bench marking. Because they only get the chips at the weekend. It's just stupid. Same for retailers. Don't know what AMD are playing at.

The hardships some people face are unbelievable, I mean working on a weekend, what's the world coming to.

Soldato

When was the last time AMD launched on Sunday a product? I do not remember any the last 6 years at least.

Man of Honour
When was the last time AMD launched on Sunday a product? I do not remember any the last 6 years at least.

I went back all CPU's and GPU's back to 6000 series GPU's and Phenom, couldn't find a Sunday release on any product. (whats that 10 year or more?)

Associate
I didn't know this was a regular thing? Having looked back over previous releases it looks like most of them happen on Thursdays? Another thing isn't Linus just an intel shill anyway? I genuinely would never look to that kind of tech channel for anything informative.

Edit: Just occured to me that you could be talking Linus Torvalds (the linux god)?

How is Linus an Intel shill? The dude passionately went on about AMD for like 12 minutes about a month ago:

Not to mention his Ryzen 3000 review was more glowing than most.

Associate
And their was me thinking i would have been taking the morning off work on Monday to buy/collect a cpu and mobo. Never expected this! i thought at latest it would be Tuesday delivery LOL. No wonder no one was going to open on sunday for the actual launch as no one had any products to launch!

I guess i had plenty of chance to buy the 3900x initial batch but thought the 3800x was going to be delivered to ocuk Monday so waited and then it became too late :<

Soldato

It was released on Sunday as it was 7th day of the 7th Month, releasing the 7nm product...it's all about the 7's and marketing.

Man of Honour
How is Linus an Intel shill? The dude passionately went on about AMD for like 12 minutes about a month ago:

Not to mention his Ryzen 3000 review was more glowing than most.

I haven't watched him in a very long time so excuse my ignorance - Perhaps I should have said "used to be" a massive Intel shill. Fact is though I don't see him as a "proper" tech reviewer more an "influencer" where his job is to influence people and sell product so I see the channel as basically a marketing campain to sell me **** I don't need :)

Man of Honour
It was released on Sunday as it was 7th day of the 7th Month, releasing the 7nm product...it's all about the 7's and marketing.

Yea I get that what you are quoting is my response to the comment below:

I was just trying to work out if I was being a total numpty.

Associate

Something I have been thinking about a lot since these reviews all came out of people working weekends ect. Do they not know people work weekends in real life too? I'm sure they have had to put a lot of work into this launch and I can fully share thier pain but I think i is maybe being milked a little. Have they ever worked in a resturant for example?

Soldato
I really want to know:

1. How the i9 9900KS stacks up against the 3700x/3800x.

and

2. How Intel will achieve the all core 5GHz while making it accessible in terms of power/cooling.

The 9900KS is the new binning of Intel 9900k's. The poorer ones become 9900k. The better 9900ks (the KS is _literally_ just a good clocking 9900k).
The 3700X, once the dust settles will likely be ~2% behind in benchmarks (so... 10 fps at 1440, <3fps at 4K currently) for games, better in every other metric.
The 3800X, we don't currently know, probably pretty much bang on par for games, ahead for everything else.

Associate
Back, so i managed to use EFI BOOT, from the MSI boards to start updating my BIOS, and got to
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK

7C02v15

There was no V16, so i put V17 on the EFI BOOT. It was reading the flash drive and said it never recognised the ROM, or something, so aborted to see if i could find V16, but no luck.
Will it be safe to go from v15 to v17?

I presume its safe, as that is how they laid it out on their website, I'm just making sure. I can't still join there for some reason, might be too busy or something!?!

Back
Top Bottom