• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

jzobvriyj9931.png
So AMD+AMD vs Intel+Nvidia seems to be the way to get performance?

Soldato
Someone at OC.net appears to have PCIe 4.0 x16 working on an X470 board (Crosshair VII Hero). At least it's detected as such by GPU-Z. Wonder if that's actually the case or not...

Associate
That Ryzen on AMD vs nVidia graph isnt an actual comparison.

The guy who made it collected reviews from different websites and smooshed them together.

Basically not worth the jpg it's printed on.

Soldato
Never quite understood this logic - by the time DDR5/PCIE 5.0 come out why not then wait for DDR6/PCIE 6.0 or the next big thing. Could play the waiting game forever.

Indeed, however I lived with 3.0 for 6 years on current system almost and although 4.0 is here, they appear to be relative short lived with 2 possibly 3 years. With PCIE 6.0 looking to have the standard finished for 2021. That means another 3-5 years to get to Enthusiasts at best.

5.0 is 4x what 3.0 is and so that to me seems like it could happily last a decade fine before that is issue, a new socket is needed for DDR5 from AMD so next year is end of life for current AM4, AM5 or whatever it will be to me seems like they could do the same with a few years support so I can look at just CPU/GPU upgrades for 3-5 years after that. Didn't have that option with Intel previous.

Wasn't same reason either because nobody was pushing multicore for game engines or even that much in general software which will change more and more so seems more plausible to start with a cheap low end 8 core in 2021 and move up range each year or similar as I can by then 8 core being the entry level tbh from AMD at least.

So indeed it depends on how often upgrade, what upgrade paths are and how software/games engines develop so I am taking a punt to hold out, especially since I feel that current gen stuff does not provide a big enough gap anyways for the costs so to jump in what would be 9 years and have double the performance, AMD likely offering decent Ray Tracing then, ray tracing being more mainstream etc. It for me feels logical compared to this intrim of almost end of DDR4 and relative short life span of PCIE 4.0

If my performance on next years games really tanks with my current system and there something I really want to play (tbh still mostly play either NMS or Stellaris at moment) then I may move to purchase this release (3700X/5700XT/16GB DDR4) next year to tie me over.

Soldato
So Ryzen is 3-5% behind in gaming despite the 2080Ti running badly at present.
What makes little sense is how Ryzen beats Intel when using a less powerful GPU. Surely AMD also need to update their own GPU drivers for Intel CPUs too.

AMD usually does. When Ryzen first launched the 295X2 out performed the TitanX in some games on Ryzen, until NVIDIA put out a driver.

Just looks like a repeat of it for now considering the changes in Zen 2 over Zen.

Associate
The hardships some people face are unbelievable, I mean working on a weekend, what's the world coming to.

His main complaint was the new code AMD sent out on Thursday before the Sunday release. It meant they had to redo all their reviews for Ryzen on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. That would annoy me if I put a weeks worth of work in and had to redo everything over a weekend I did have free.

Back
Top Bottom