• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
So is the general consensus is there is no point in water cooling / AIO and just sticking to air?

Personally, I still have an aversion to putting water anywhere near my computer, so for me air is still the go to option. AIO has its place, but unless you're pushing some serious clocks, then air is perfectly fine.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Back in the day a CPU would last me 4 years! Since Ryzen launched I've almost upgraded 3 times culminating in the 3800x.

I bought the 1700 and wasn't happy worth it so could justify the 2700x. But I am happy with the 2700x so cant justify the upgrade.

I went from a 4th gen 4C/8T Intel to the 2700X and was looking to upgrade if the IPC and clock increases made a difference at 4K but it seems that the 2700X still does a decent enough job for what I need it to do.

Quite fancy a 3900X to sooth the upgrade itch but I think that’s the only reason I “need” one TBH.

Soldato
To get better cooling, new blocks or jet plates are going to be needed for these with the way the chiplets and IO die are positioned on the package.

It’s really not worth it, the issue with Zen2 temperatures is getting the heat transfered out of the tiny 74mm² CCD.
You’ll not really gain anything past about 1.35v either it seems (ln2 aside of course) all core for high load. It’s voltage and heat limited silicon.

Soldato
What’s the PCI slot gap on it pal? I can find it listed but looks 80mm...

are you refering to the gap between the pcie 16 slots? from what i can tell you have one fee slot in between 2 gpus that use 2 slot configs

just looked on nvidia site and i can confirm the pcie slot gap is 60.96mm on the crosshair viii formula x570

Last edited:
Associate
WTF are you talking about ? There are no "binned" Ryzen 2 CPU's at OCUK. In fact, not much if any stock at all of Ryzen 2.

The stock numbers are minimal, nobody will be binning them at this time since there isn't enough spare for a sample set.
If you buy a CPU here then you'll get the box package, still sealed.

That was The Stilt.

Thanks, the name seems familiar? Is that the guy claiming there were PCI related errors?

Associate
Just finished installing the new 3900X in my sons rig, replacing his 2600. His board is the Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro.

The instructions on the Gigabyte site were not clear in the process so I thought I'd write some pointers to help anyone else....

As stated on the BIOS page you need to flash to F32 before F40, and apply an EC firmware update....

(I've assumed you already have the F32, F40 and mb_utility_ecfwupdate_B19.0606.1.zip downloaded)

1. Flash to F32 using Q-Flash
2. When complete, enter windows and open a command prompt with admin rights.
3. Run the 'ECFwUpdate.exe' and after a few seconds a box will appear advising to start the FW update.
4. When the EC firmware completes the system will go blank and restart and will have regressed back to the F1 BIOS - (there is no progress bar to show any progress)
5. Enter the BIOS, open Q-Flash and re-flash F32 - you will not be able to flash direct to F40 as it will state invalid checksum/image.
6. When F32 has completed flash again to F40 (it will be ok this time) and install the new CPU.
7. When it comes on, set the BIOS up as per normal and install the latest Radeon chipset drivers.

My son is using the bundled cooler and its all running sweet, his ram is 32GB C14 tridentZ @3200MHz, no problems so far.

Associate
Out of interest what would a good cooler be that would basically run these things (3700x) silently. Are AIOs silent enough or do the pumps put out noise?

Associate
WTF are you talking about ? There are no "binned" Ryzen 2 CPU's at OCUK. In fact, not much if any stock at all of Ryzen 2.
The stock numbers are minimal, nobody will be binning them at this time since there isn't enough spare for a sample set.
If you buy a CPU here then you'll get the box package, still sealed.

Thanks, the name seems familiar? Is that the guy claiming there were PCI related errors?

Yeah we are doing them both standard and 8Pack..... I am binning several of each sku now to see whats achievable... Prior to launch no way enough samples to check this properly...... Watch this space I am working hard on this stuff....

This is "WTF" I am on about

Associate
Just finished installing the new 3900X in my sons rig, replacing his 2600. His board is the Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro.

The instructions on the Gigabyte site were not clear in the process so I thought I'd write some pointers to help anyone else....

As stated on the BIOS page you need to flash to F32 before F40, and apply an EC firmware update....

(I've assumed you already have the F32, F40 and mb_utility_ecfwupdate_B19.0606.1.zip downloaded)

1. Flash to F32 using Q-Flash
2. When complete, enter windows and open a command prompt with admin rights.
3. Run the 'ECFwUpdate.exe' and after a few seconds a box will appear advising to start the FW update.
4. When the EC firmware completes the system will go blank and restart and will have regressed back to the F1 BIOS - (there is no progress bar to show any progress)
5. Enter the BIOS, open Q-Flash and re-flash F32 - you will not be able to flash direct to F40 as it will state invalid checksum/image.
6. When F32 has completed flash again to F40 (it will be ok this time) and install the new CPU.
7. When it comes on, set the BIOS up as per normal and install the latest Radeon chipset drivers.

My son is using the bundled cooler and its all running sweet, his ram is 32GB C14 tridentZ @3200MHz, no problems so far.

You sir is better than most reviewers.

Soldato
are you refering to the gap between the pcie 16 slots? from what i can tell you have one fee slot in between 2 gpus that use 2 slot configs

just looked on nvidia site and i can confirm the pcie slot gap is 60.96mm on the crosshair viii formula x570

100% sure? The slot in the middle is one slot but there is a gap (empty slot...). If you fee like it just measure the distance between the fins on the SLI slots :)

Soldato
The bundled cooler can't be doing a 3900x any favours? I'd imagine a 3800x on bundled cooler is faster for gaming amongst other things. Kind of defeats the object of buying top tier chip when it can't hold 4.2 ac sustained.

Back
Top Bottom