• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Associate
Here is the thing with the 9700k, how well do you think it will age v's the 3700?
Taking out the rather dubious practise of artificially fusing off HT which is imho really poor i cant see the 9700 keeping its performance as time goes on.
It literally has half the number of threads available to process and thats a fair drop over the already practically identical gaming performance the 3700 has.

I dont know about the rest of this forum but my windows build does a lot in the background while i game.
I run both a virus checker and malwarebytes in active mode, this consumes resources.
I have steam, arc and that other thing Battlefield uses.
I also have Primocache and most of the time Nord VPN in the tray, along with other associated guff running - there is usually a browser windows (chrome) going in the background while i usually have windows checking for mail (is that outlook now in win10?)

Point is i have a lot going on in the background taking up cpu cycles and an 8 thread cpu like the 9700 has to deal with that with ... well 8 thread capability. My 5820k has 12 available, and the 3700 ect has obviously more.

So will we start to see processors like the 9700 slow down as windows bloats and we run more background tasks? I aint turning off any of mine as i want them all running.

Associate
So I'm currently on a 3770k and want to upgrade already bought the ddr4 3600 for the upgrade my only sticking point is which chipset. X470 or x570 i know 570 is the latest and greatest but by moving to 470 i can afford to go from a 3600x to the 3700x which would definately be a big upgrade.

Soldato
I take the side of myself, I don't care about the name of the company.

I wanted the best gaming cpu and in every benchmark around, the overclocked 9700K and 9900K are tied for the top spot.

Even if it's for 0.01% (and it's more), that still applies.

The games I play the most right now are Odyssey:

ac-odyssey-2560-1440.png

And Hitman 2:

AYndDSr.png

Big difference? Of course not.

Noticeable? Maybe not.

Still, why should I buy what, for my case scenario (gaming at 1440p), would actually be the inferior product?

P.S. And with an overclocked 9700k at 5Ghz, is a slightly bigger gap.
Plus I love overclocking and tweaking things, that's also something I would've missed.

Have you ever thought that the very fact that you are able to get a 9700K at an affordable price is thanks to AMD releasing Zen1? Intel were perfectly happy to sell the 8 core chips at over £800 before the 1800X came out at less than £500. You are essentially rewarding the company that screwed over consumers for years by selling only quad core cpu's.

Associate
Have you ever thought that the very fact that you are able to get a 9700K at an affordable price is thanks to AMD releasing Zen1? Intel were perfectly happy to sell the 8 core chips at over £800 before the 1800X came out at less than £500. You are essentially rewarding the company that screwed over consumers for years by selling only quad core cpu's.

Tbf, AMD can and will do exactly the same if and when they achieve a market position like Intel.

Don't have any loyalty or disloyalty to a corporation. They pretty much all behave unethically when they are listed because their entire job is to maximise returns for it's shareholders. One way or another, they'll do some anti-consumer shizz. AMD are already doing it on their 5700/XT, artificially locking the maximum overclock I believe, to create segmentation.

At the end of the day, have loyalty to your wallet and to the product that best suits your needs for your timeframe (whether that be RIGHT NOW like for Razorpakk, or for now with the future in mind, like for me - I'll be going Ryzen).

Soldato
I'm on haswell.

Im struggling to see how these chips are worth the 500+ outlay to go AMD.

People were hyping this up like it was the next q6600, it's not, we still haven't seen that big generational jump like we had back then with both CPU and GPU aligned (8800series).

We might be a console launch away from such a thing tbh. Let's face it PC gaming has stagnated, theres nothing meaningful pushing the fidelity format, but we might see something with the new console launches.

Soldato
I'm on haswell.

Im struggling to see how these chips are worth the 500+ outlay to go AMD.

People were hyping this up like it was the next q6600, it's not, we still haven't seen that big generational jump like we had back then with both CPU and GPU aligned (8800series).

We might be a console launch away from such a thing tbh. Let's face it PC gaming has stagnated, theres nothing meaningful pushing the fidelity format, but we might see something with the new console launches.

AMD are beating Intel buy circa 60%. The G80 looked so good because of the situation with direct X at the time. The 8800 range went up against cards like the X1950 and 7900GT one was old and the other didn’t support direct X we’ll at all.

Associate
The inferior product is not the new Zen2 chips, if you take the big picture into account.
This is whats confusing me, intel has... big issues. Heat,power, old platform and of course security. Yet there gaming lead is next to nothing, its practically a few % and that might even be under threat if all the chat of dodgy boosting and nvidia drivers are right.

If you just look for what is at the top of the table your missing the point. Zen2 is as good as intel in gaming and far superior everywhere else and thats not just performance we are talking about.
performance is too often just measured as FPS which does not interest me as much as turn times. Even more so as I have a 4k monitor with a mid range GPU and so the FPS reviews tend to be irrelevant.

Soldato
Got an ageing 4770K here. I'm probably going to get the 3700X since I've had this system for .. 7 years? Might go for an X470 board though as I don't like the idea of the fan on the new ones.

Associate
Got an ageing 4770K here. I'm probably going to get the 3700X since I've had this system for .. 7 years? Might go for an X470 board though as I don't like the idea of the fan on the new ones.

I pulled the trigger today on a X470 Strix F and a 3700X. Hopefully it has a recent bios otherwise I will be trying to get an amd bootkit before I do any else

Soldato
I pulled the trigger today on a X470 Strix F and a 3700X. Hopefully it has a recent bios otherwise I will be trying to get an amd bootkit before I do any else

I was looking at that board too. I think if you ask them they will flash the bios before sending it.

Associate
Too late its already sent i bought it late last night and when the 3700X came in today i bought that. Its not the end of the world I've got a couple of friends i can call up who have 2700x's they can help me bios update with

Man of Honour
So who's upgraded from sandy/ivy/Haswell to at least a 3700x? Do you find the gains worth the £600 outlay?
Specifically when gaming at 1440p with a high end GPU like a 1080ti/2070S/2080/2080ti?

Associate
So who's upgraded from sandy/ivy/Haswell to at least a 3700x? Do you find the gains worth the £600 outlay?
Specifically when gaming at 1440p with a high end GPU like a 1080ti/2070S/2080/2080ti?

i would like to know this too theirs been many times when ive nearly pulled the trigger im looking at a 3700x with x570 but ive read that the x570 boards are using more power consumption hopefully they sort this!

Soldato
Well, my trusty old 2600k is now in a 'new' build for my wife. Glad to see it live on, it should do her well for what she needs it for and paired with a 280x it should do some basic 1080p gaming well enough.

Loving the 3900x so far, the few games I have played feel so much nicer and stable.

Associate
Well, my trusty old 2600k is now in a 'new' build for my wife. Glad to see it live on, it should do her well for what she needs it for and paired with a 280x it should do some basic 1080p gaming well enough.

Loving the 3900x so far, the few games I have played feel so much nicer and stable.

nice! i see you have a X570 Aorus Pro how you getting on with this platform? i read that they have power consumption issues not sure if its all of them but im sure it will get fixed through bios updates, its the only thing putting me off at the minute they look pretty pricey compared to the x470s

Soldato
nice! i see you have a X570 Aorus Pro how you getting on with this platform? i read that they have power consumption issues not sure if its all of them but im sure it will get fixed through bios updates, its the only thing putting me off at the minute they look pretty pricey compared to the x470s

I can't fault it so far. Hard to judge for sure at the moment using the stock cooler at the moment, but custom water is going on tonight and I will see if that changes the boost clocks as they are a little low currently. If not then I think it will be the BIOS issue.

Associate
I can't fault it so far. Hard to judge for sure at the moment using the stock cooler at the moment, but custom water is going on tonight and I will see if that changes the boost clocks as they are a little low currently. If not then I think it will be the BIOS issue.
yea probably its all new hardware so i suppose there will be a few little instabilities at first no dout they will be sorted out though.

im just goining to try and hold out for a few weeks i think finding it very hard though...

Back
Top Bottom