Shower trap not letting water away quick enough.

Associate
Hi, just wondering if anyone has also come across this problem with the shower trap?

I've this trap fitted and an Aqualisa - Quartz Digital Thermostatic Shower.

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/shower-traps-accessories/st90cp10-70c-90mm-shallow-shower-trap

There is a good bit of pressure with the shower and apparently there is no way of reducing it.
There is a remove able cup inside the trap and when I remove it, the water escapes ok.
The cup is there to stop unwanted smell from soil stack but my shower waste just goes out of the waste pipe straight into the grating.

I was thinking of making the slots in the cup bigger to see if it lets the water away quicker.

Any thoughts.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Take the cup out if there is no risk of pongs coming back up the drain job done or get the correct fast flow waste installed to cope with your shower but probably too late for that now!

Yes , too late, I didn't know the shower pressure could not be turned down and never thought the trap could not cope with the amount of water. No, not bad odours. Cup out for now to see if there is a way round it.

Thank you.

Associate
OP
We have a similar issue with ours, it's fine once you clean it but after the missus has a shower and even the smallest amount of hair gets in to the cup bit it won't flow fast enough.

Do you have the same trap as mine? You would think these traps would be tested better to meet the demand of waste water :) ...Useless
I'll contact McAlpine, the trap manufactures and hear what they have to say.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you have the same trap as mine? You would think these traps would be tested better to meet the demand of waste water :) ...Useless
I'll contact McAlpine, the trap manufactures and hear what they have to say.

Thanks.
It is certified for a certain number of litres for minute and there is a good chance your power shower exceeds this, the waste isn't advertised as fast flow.

Caporegime
Hi, just wondering if anyone has also come across this problem with the shower trap?

I've this trap fitted and an Aqualisa - Quartz Digital Thermostatic Shower.

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/shower-traps-accessories/st90cp10-70c-90mm-shallow-shower-trap

There is a good bit of pressure with the shower and apparently there is no way of reducing it.
There is a remove able cup inside the trap and when I remove it, the water escapes ok.
The cup is there to stop unwanted smell from soil stack but my shower waste just goes out of the waste pipe straight into the grating.

I was thinking of making the slots in the cup bigger to see if it lets the water away quicker.

Any thoughts.

Thanks.

Where you say "my shower waste just goes out of the waste pipe straight into the grating."

Can you clarify that a bit more, as at first read it sounds like you are sending your shower waste down a rainwater drain, and not a foul water drain, which is technically illegal.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Where you say "my shower waste just goes out of the waste pipe straight into the grating."

...you are sending your shower waste down a rainwater drain, and not a foul water drain, which is technically illegal.

Yes, we know that, its my wording of it that makes it look like that.

Thanks.

Caporegime
Yes, we know that, its my wording of it that makes it look like that.

Thanks.

No worries, it was purely your use of the word grating, as obviously there will never be a grating on a foul water drain as it would be a source of smell, so the only gratings you will find are on rainwater drains.

Associate
OP
I suspect that the real issue here is that the trap hasn't been fitted properly and there isn't enough fall on the waste pipe to support the required flow.

Hi thanks, I'm no plumber and you would think that but if it wasn't fitted properly you would soon know, a leak for a start and there is enough of a fall in the waste pipe coming from the trap.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom