Led light strips kitchen

Associate
Hi Mrs keeps banging on about under cupboard lighting as one of her pals has it.

I've been looking at the Philips light strips but am I right I'd need 2 power sockets as I can't see any way I could get the cable round the cooker without having to cut the strip.

weoo23lh.jpg

prhn9z3m.jpg

dp9gmpvk.jpg

Soldato
You can cut LED strips, continue the wire somewhere discreet, and reattach to next strips yes. Otherwise it could be worth having two strips on separate switches?

Soldato
If it wasn't for the upstand at the back of the worktop I'd suggest running the cables down from the socket, underneath/behind the base units, then up to the wall cupboards discreetly in the corners (behind the knife block and spice rack) in miniature trunking. If they can be removed and refitted without much mess then that's an option.

Another is behind the extractor or stainless splashback, if they are removable,with a short run up inside each wall cupboard.

Sorry, I can't help but point out that your socket outlets are way too close to the hob. The missus says 300mm is the minimum spacing.

Associate
What you need is...

2x LED drivers (these will each be connected to plugs and put in separate sockets on either side of the hob).

2x Wireless receivers (these will each be connected to the other side of the above LED drivers).

Then the light strips will be connected to the other side of the wireless receivers.

Then you get a remote and program 1 button to both the wireless receivers, so when pressed both strips, despite being separate circuits, will turn on at once.

...alternatively you can unscrew the 2 bottom screws inside the hood and lift it off the wall a little, then stuff a small cable in there to connect both sides strips together.

Associate
OP
If it wasn't for the upstand at the back of the worktop I'd suggest running the cables down from the socket, underneath/behind the base units, then up to the wall cupboards discreetly in the corners (behind the knife block and spice rack) in miniature trunking. If they can be removed and refitted without much mess then that's an option.

Another is behind the extractor or stainless splashback, if they are removable,with a short run up inside each wall cupboard.

Sorry, I can't help but point out that your socket outlets are way too close to the hob. The missus says 300mm is the minimum spacing.

Thanks I did think the plug was very close I'm not sure if it was persimmon or the previous owner which has made a few bodge jobs around the house which I keep finding.

For some reason we've a plug in the downstairs toilet above the fuse box. I have no idea why???

I have thought about taking it out but wouldn't have a clue what to do with the cables behind.

xy7ehqqm.jpg

Soldato
I have thought about taking it out but wouldn't have a clue what to do with the cables behind.

I'm told it's quite common in commercial premises to have a socket near the CU/DB for testing purposes (it's my wife's profession), but I've no idea why you have one in your downstairs loo. Unless the previous owner had an extra heater in there??

I suppose you could fit a blanking plate over it and terminate the wires into a choc block, but if it isn't really in your way I'd just leave well alone.

Soldato
Yes, the issue here is not whether it can be done on a single plug (as it can be, quite easily) it's more a question of how to hide the wires when you don't have a top box bridging over the hob, or tall units that you can run the wires up behind (as I'm doing currently).

Back
Top Bottom