• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 2 Owners Thread!

Associate
Could it be that some games are not using Zen 2 to its full potential due to the new chiplet design? I play Destiny 2 for example and the game does not even work with Zen 2 at the moment. I am upgrading from a 7700K 5.0Ghz to a 3800X along with the "cheap" X570 Taichi.

Permabanned
Could it be that some games are not using Zen 2 to its full potential due to the new chiplet design? I play Destiny 2 for example and the game does not even work with Zen 2 at the moment. I am upgrading from a 7700K 5.0Ghz to a 3800X along with the "cheap" X570 Taichi.
It always been the case for ryzen this excuse is old now. 7nm and still under performing

Associate
Enough of these useless cinebench runs please show some real world gaming performance

I dont normally benchmark but with a new build I like to test that my machine is performing inline with what is expected so I know I have set up everything correctly.
I will download division 2 this morning and report back.

Soldato
Had a bit more time before this morning meetings to mess about with RAM, still not excellent, but getting there. @Plec

QiKHhYC.jpg

Will hopefully have more time this afternoon, might even fetch the system home to tinker with tonight if I am still feeling there's more to be had.

Permabanned
I dont normally benchmark but with a new build I like to test that my machine is performing inline with what is expected so I know I have set up everything correctly.
I will download division 2 this morning and report back.

Will you be able to report that back today?

I would like to know what resolution you game at?
In built benchmark result....
And FPS at ultra settings while going down Pennsylvania Ave Northwest, And also the same for high settings.
Many thanks.....

Soldato
Had a bit more time before this morning meetings to mess about with RAM, still not excellent, but getting there. @Plec

QiKHhYC.jpg

Will hopefully have more time this afternoon, might even fetch the system home to tinker with tonight if I am still feeling there's more to be had.
Jesus - i hope you at least wine and dined that memory before you tweaked its proverbials off :)

Thanks for the update, @Journey - can't believe there's still room for play - as mentioned previously they've become amazing value. Compare those timings/price to that of 'stock' 2 x 16Gb Dominator Platinum 3600 or G.Skill equivalent and you must be pretty chuffed! (putting it mildly)

^^^*cough*@tamzzy*cough* - 2 x 16GB clocked CBS, tight timings, nuts price - only a matter of time...

Soldato
Jesus - i hope you at least wine and dined that memory before you tweaked its proverbials off :)

Thanks for the update, @Journey - can't believe there's still room for play - as mentioned previously they've become amazing value. Compare those timings/price to that of 'stock' 2 x 16Gb Dominator Platinum 3600 or G.Skill equivalent and you must be pretty chuffed! (putting it mildly)

I didn't pay for it, but it is nice to see value back in the RAM market for all the consumers out there. :)

Associate
Will you be able to report that back today?

I would like to know what resolution you game at?
In built benchmark result....
And FPS at ultra settings while going down Pennsylvania Ave Northwest, And also the same for high settings.
Many thanks.....

Will try. 50gb download and I have not got the fastest of connections.
I play at 4k ultra with a Radeon 7. Was playable with my old 4770k and 8gb ram so will see how much I was GPU bound at that res.

Soldato
Any Expanse fans keeping reading that motherboard name as 'Tachi' by mistake?

I'm using this thread for spec ideas, although I'm massively falling victim of spec creep.

Associate
I need to do more testing, don't really notice it over system fans and mechanical drive. Just letting motherboard manage all the fans on defaults for now. Seems to keep them low most of the time but spin up under load and briefly on full while the motherboard posts. On F4d BIOS, cpu seems to be sitting between 3.7-4.3Ghz think I saw one core hit 4.5Ghz earlier.

Running load test now staying under 62C at 100% all cores 4.14Ghz. Air cooled by my old Phanteks PH-TC14PE in Silverstone FT02 case.

Spent too long building and getting the system to a usable state for work etc. Need a break will come back to performance stuff later.

Ok the chipset fan on Aorus Ultra is a bit annoying. Seems to have 2 speeds quiet (can't hear it over other fans) and full power (quite loud).

Tends to ramp up quickly when running benchmarks, opening programs etc although most of the time it is quiet. Don't think it's really getting that hot, just the fan profile is too aggressive. Can't find any options to control it but sounds like it should be sorted in next bios version (currently on F4d).

Edit: Not installed a single game yet, too busy messing with setup, hyperV etc.

Last edited:
Soldato

QiKHhYC.jpg

Is CPUZ reporting the memory correctly? high density RAM?

Soldato
Is CPUZ reporting the memory correctly? high density RAM?

2x 16GB Dual Rank.

I'm crossing my fingers that I get the approval for a purchase request for 4x 32GB Samsung DIMM's so I can test 128GB on AM4, only issue I have is due to it being unbuffered/non-ECC that I can't use it anywhere else after I am done with it.

Soldato
Received my 3900X and X570 Aorus Pro yesterday but only had enough time spare to test it all works.

Quick and dirty shot of it on my test bench with the Stock cooler installed and my wife's "old" Vega 56:

7yA2PJcl.jpg

Quickly booted off of the SSD I had on the X99 machine and despite not running XMP, out of the box bios and not having any chipset drivers installed it still managed ~ 3150 in Cinebench R15. No idea on clocks, temps or anything like that as I had no time (Was approaching midnight at this point).

Plan is to get it all installed properly over the next couple of days and then spend the weekend tinkering and benchmarking. :)

Back
Top Bottom