Lifted lino and marks is this damp?

Soldato
Hi all,

I have been converting the workshop room at the far side of the house and lifted the lino? and under it is black marks.

Is this damp and is it serious? I have only lifted the 4 edges and its mainly in that corner but there is a very small bit in the diagonally opposite corner

Any ideas what may have caused it?

What should I do to get rid before putting a new carpet down?

Thanks

Soldato
Is this room ground floor or upstairs? If it's upstairs what room is underneath it?

In that room do you dry laundry or do anything to generate a lot of steam/water vapour?

Soldato
OP
Hi its on the groundfloor and it was used as a workshop. No steam or vapour in room I guess. Although I dont know what he used to do in the workshop....

Soldato
its only on the edges so it can't be that bad? I remember lifting lino from my place that had been there for probably 20/30 years. It looked much worse than that.

perhaps lift a few floorboards up and see what is down there, what is underneath? Is it floor boards or concrete?

Man of Honour
Possibly the central heating leaked at some point and wasn't aired/dried out properly? looks quite minor for damp though that definitely looks like a bit of mould. Though does look like cracks in the wall and some blemishing around that as well.

Soldato
OP
cheers I just lifted more of lino (as much as I can without having to take it off and I could see quite far into centre of room and there is nothing..... its in 2 corners where the radiator is and a little at the the other side..

Also though if it was workshop its above the desks and he might have spilled something onto it and it got in behind the lino

How would I clean this up before putting carpet down?

Associate
As it's in the corners, it could just be residual damp from if the floor was wet mopped. Give it a scrub and if it's only on the top then no worries.

The best thing I've ever found for tackling mold is HG Mould Spray (in a yellow and red bottle). Very strong, so open the windows, but it's really quite incredible stuff.

Soldato
OP
As it's in the corners, it could just be residual damp from if the floor was wet mopped. Give it a scrub and if it's only on the top then no worries.

The best thing I've ever found for tackling mold is HG Mould Spray (in a yellow and red bottle). Very strong, so open the windows, but it's really quite incredible stuff.

Yeah that was what I was thinking as its definitely only at corners and a tiny bit at one edge..... will have to order that stuff on amazon

JRJ

JRJ

Associate

If you have "the range" store nearby they stock HG products

Back
Top Bottom