• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.4%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Associate
Just a shame it won’t be out for another 16ish months! The important thing imo is to hold off buying new TVs now until the new consoles are out and it’s clear what the situation is about what they offer in terms of hdmi 2.1. Looking like that’ll be essential to get the most out of the new machines if implemented well.

Soldato
I think "essential" is pushing it, especially when you'll be paying a premium for those advanced features nearer that time. When you can get last year's model of LG OLED for a little over a grand, there's got to be a fairly compelling reason to want to wait for the brand new stuff just for some minor benefits. As tends to be the case, the consoles and games will largely cater for what the majority of the market has at the time.

Associate
This thing will be very toasty

Being a SoC APU design, the heat is going to be concentrated in certain locations on the board with the silicon for the chip and RAM on board. Obviously there is going to be some very specialized cooling solution to cope with the heat being generated. It may even be that some games have a soft cap on vrr/fps to keep temps in check - who knows.

Shawrey

Soldato
Being a SoC APU design, the heat is going to be concentrated in certain locations on the board with the silicon for the chip and RAM on board. Obviously there is going to be some very specialized cooling solution to cope with the heat being generated. It may even be that some games have a soft cap on vrr/fps to keep temps in check - who knows.

Shawrey
They could liquid cool it ! :D

Associate
They could liquid cool it ! :D

It would be cool - excuse the obvious pun. However, mass producing an AIO without serious guarantee of mitigating failure is going to be a tough ask.

Custom Vapor Chamber on the other hand...

EDIT: @Illuminist have just seen your comments in the Navi thread :D. I agree Vapor Chamber is somewhat 'Water cooling' but then so are standard 'Air' coolers as the Heatpipes in them have coolant liquid that vaporizes in them and is transferred out via the fins by a fan. The Chamber method of such is the more optimized way of doing it and suggesting anything but 'water' cooling would be flippant :p.

Shawrey

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
well time for some fun,

Reportedly, Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida has described the console, which hasn't officially been named yet, as a 'niche product, aimed at serious players'.

so $699+ price incoming. said it would be 600-700 before this quote so god only knows where it may end up but i doubt its going to be as cheap as the previous gen.

Caporegime
Wonder why they're going down the route. I'd've thought it better to go for a cheaper hardware unit and get people subscribing to PS plus and/or PS now. You don't want all the FIFA/Fortnite-only players going off to Xbox to pay subscriptions there if you are Sony.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
it could just be marketing bs and he's trying to nudge the hype train along with the no show at e3 and ms showing off their next box. who knows for now, but i honestly expect 600+ price tag come next year for either system.

Caporegime
It would be cool - excuse the obvious pun. However, mass producing an AIO without serious guarantee of mitigating failure is going to be a tough ask.

Custom Vapor Chamber on the other hand...

EDIT: @Illuminist have just seen your comments in the Navi thread :D. I agree Vapor Chamber is somewhat 'Water cooling' but then so are standard 'Air' coolers as the Heatpipes in them have coolant liquid that vaporizes in them and is transferred out via the fins by a fan. The Chamber method of such is the more optimized way of doing it and suggesting anything but 'water' cooling would be flippant :p.

Shawrey

Apple mass produced and sold water-cooled Mac's back in the G5 days, I had one. When it was 10 years old it was weeping a bit of coolant but still working.

Associate
Apple mass produced and sold water-cooled Mac's back in the G5 days, I had one. When it was 10 years old it was weeping a bit of coolant but still working.

Interesting! Never knew that.

Well perhaps there is hope after all however, looking at the G5 chassis they appeared to be full tower units so to try shrink a full water cooler into something the size of a couple of pizza boxes is going to be a challenge. Thermals are not normally a console's strong point irrespective of the cooling solution. My One X still gets very warm and that is considered to be an example of thermal engineering genius.

Shawrey

Soldato
No chance on earth the PS5 will be £700.
Sony already had their 'getting kicked in the teeth' moment with the PS3 price reveal, and it's too soon for them to forget that.

I'd say £500 is the absolute highest they'll go.

Soldato
I'm not too sure.The PS3 launched at £425, which would be around £580 adjusted for inflation.
...and they still made a loss on every one of them for the first few months.
However, the PS3 launch was more important as it helped Sony win the format war - Blu-ray becoming the standard (not that Sony were ever going to lose this one after the Betamax war). Consider it as a small price to pay to help win that war.

Caporegime
I wonder if we’ll hear anything more at Gamescom next month or whether they’ll keep quiet until their individual events - X019 in London and PlayStation experience - in November/December.

Associate
I wonder if we’ll hear anything more at Gamescom next month or whether they’ll keep quiet until their individual events - X019 in London and PlayStation experience - in November/December.

I would think pricing and pre-order will be e3 next year (almost certainly for Scarlett) Sony seem to be more interested in their own PS Experience for revealing stuff.

I've already guessed £599 pricing which I hope includes a game bundled as MS advised Halo would be launched with it. Just imagine if Sony drop a bomb and state TLoU2 is a launch title with PS5 - that would massively rock the boat for MS.

Shawrey

Soldato
I've already guessed £599 pricing which I hope includes a game bundled as MS advised Halo would be launched with it. Just imagine if Sony drop a bomb and state TLoU2 is a launch title with PS5 - that would massively rock the boat for MS.

It's definitely coming to PS4 and will be out long before PS5 launches. Will people buy a new £500-600 console at launch just to double dip on a title already played?

Associate
It's definitely coming to PS4 and will be out long before PS5 launches. Will people buy a new £500-600 console at launch just to double dip on a title already played?

Most people double dipped on the first one for PS3 and then PS4 so I wouldn't bet against people doing it on PS5 for the second - but fair point all the same. If they could guarantee 4k visuals at 60fps for it most people would lap it up.

Shawrey

Back
Top Bottom