Sub-150mm Air Cooler?

Associate
Looking ahead to the Ryzen 3 launch, and thinking that this time I would like to use a non-stock cooler and push it a bit further than the stock cooler would allow. Probably a 3600, maybe a 3600X.

However, my case only has a maximum cooler clearance of 150mm, whilst most good coolers seem to be just above this size, and low profile coolers seem a waste as I'm not that space constrained. What coolers might fit?

Associate
OP
Hmm, looks good, but I was hoping for a bit more than 120W TDP in something with a more conventional design. Though I suppose only so much could be done with less mass.

Man of Honour
There are 1-2 others in the Be Quiet! range that are lower than 150mm with higher wattage but are a lot bulkier horizontally and I have no idea how much clearance you have to play with in all dimensions.

Associate
OP
I can't find a specifically marked diagram, but I can find a picture of the board.† Based on the scale, I think the main risk is overlapping with the DIMM slots, but at least there I'm somewhat fortunate to be using Corsair LPX RAM, so it's fairly low profile. I think this means at least in the horizontal plane the clearance is pretty generous? It's more vertical confinement.

† I do hope that MSI doesn't go back on saying this would be compatible with 3rd-gen cards. That would be annoying.

Soldato
Cryorig H7 is 145mm high and only 120mm fan tower cooler I know to be below 150mm.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryorig-h7-single-tower-heatsink-with-120mm-fan-hs-008-cy.html
Mounting could be just as comfortable to do alone as sitting in anthill...
With need to turn attaching screws from rear side of the mobo, while keeping heatsink and mobo properly aligned:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/cryorig-h7-universal/4.html
Designer must have been some mutant with extra hand or two...

Four heatpipe version has more standard attaching.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryorig-h7-ultra-cpu-heatsink-with-black-120mm-fan-hs-012-cy.html
It's just overpriced considering class heavier duty Scythe Mugen 5 is clearly cheaper.

Have to wonder how low end case is, when it has that small clearance.
Or is it from some market PC?
Some 155mm enough for Mugen 5 is usual minimu clearance in modern cases with 120mm exhaust fan.

Associate
OP
Hm, that featured cryorig cooler looks good. Aside from the installation procedure being rated as, for some inscrutable reason, super easy unless there's some pressure already holding the heatsink in place when you have to turn the thing over to screw it down.

As for the case, it was this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...dition-mid-tower-pc-case-black-ca-196-cs.html

"Cooling capacity of the case" wasn't high on my mind when I first built this, just having better cooling than a four year old at the time laptop.

Associate
OP
Oh, you don't need to tell me about it. It's also really constrained when it comes to fan placements, and there's almost no room with the drivebays to actually fit in some front fans (it would need a really tiny one to fit one of the front panels). Let alone clearance for the top vents--no chance to really fit an AIO in here.

Soldato
Looking ahead to the Ryzen 3 launch, and thinking that this time I would like to use a non-stock cooler and push it a bit further than the stock cooler would allow. Probably a 3600, maybe a 3600X.

However, my case only has a maximum cooler clearance of 150mm, whilst most good coolers seem to be just above this size, and low profile coolers seem a waste as I'm not that space constrained. What coolers might fit?
Thermalright
Macho 120 Rev. B is 150mm tall & rated 200w TDP
TRUE Spirit 120M Rev. B is 145mm tall & rated 160w TDP
Silver Arrow 130 is 130mm tall & rated 240w TDP
Macho 120 SBM is 150 tall & rated 200w TDP

You can find their UK dealer on Thermalright.de website. Sorry but OcUK does not allow us to post names of companies and prices other than their own. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I feel like the following is quite underrated:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-red-cpu-cooler-2-x-120mm-hs-075-ar.html
Quite the bargin at £30 too.
Beating H50 isn't saying anything.
34 is 124x157x103mm (WxHD) w/ 2x fans & 4x direct contact heatpipes, so finpack is only 53mm deep.

For comparison, Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure is 138x123x158mm w/ 1x fan & 6x heatpipes in 75mm deep finpack and is only £33.95 and has 6x 6mm heatpipes.

Direct contact heatpipes vs enclosed base heatpipes is not a big deal, although I believe enclosed is better.

50% more heatpipe area makes a huge difference in performance.

2x fans vs 1x fan on single tower (even twin towers) makes little difference (1-3c). Add 100-200rpm to single fan and it performs the same as 2x fans at lower rpm .. and at full speed the speed difference is even less. 2x fans make more noise than single fan, so the added speed needed with single fan ends up being about same DB level as 2x fans.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well, the H7's been pretty nice so far (once I turned it round so it wasn't fighting the exhaust fan... whoops). Wasn't too bad to install, fits in the space available neatly, lets the 3600 stay boosted to 4GHz and individual cores boost to 4.2GHz. And stays pretty cool even without the fans not constantly ramped.

Associate
Well, the H7's been pretty nice so far (once I turned it round so it wasn't fighting the exhaust fan... whoops). Wasn't too bad to install, fits in the space available neatly, lets the 3600 stay boosted to 4GHz and individual cores boost to 4.2GHz. And stays pretty cool even without the fans not constantly ramped.
Nice to hear your enjoying it.

Back
Top Bottom