• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sanity check vefore I return my Radeon VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I recently bought a B grade Radeon VII for £524. The intention was to give my son my Vega 64 and upgrade to this faster card. I will be getting either a 4K or ultrawide soon.

The R7 has not yet been used in my system and since the new 5700 XT and RTX Supers were released I intend to send it back. I have an RMA code from OcUK so just need to post it back (at my cost obviously).

I appreciate the warranty is only 90 days on B grade items. But apart from this is there any overriding reason to keep the R7 at this price or is it still a sensible move to return for the newer cards?

80% gaming and some video editing.

Will be running a 4K or ultrawide and probably a couple of spare monitors alongside too. I intend to keep this or the replacement card for quite a few years.

Just after a sanity check before asking the postman to delivery parcel. Thanks.

Soldato
Well performance is about 10% less for the 5700XT from what I have seen compared to the VII however it is also £195 cheaper.

Personally I would send back and save the monies. The performance is likely to improve too for the 5700XT as drivers improve also. Unless you really want Raytracing I wouldn't go for the 2070 super as at 4K there really is less between them.

Soldato
I am missing something here, the 2070 super is an additional £100, it is about on par with the VII, ray tracing really isn't usable especially at 4k with this card.

There isn't anything that really pushes the 2070S to be that far ahead of the 5700XT which is only about 10% behind on average with new drivers etc.

The image sharpening from AMD at the moment at least seems more beneficial. I would expect to see the 5700XT to close the gap slightly as things are worked out such as under-volting the card to allow it to clock better.

Reviews generally been hitting thermal limits as haven't done this so even that should pull the 2070S within 5%.

The super cards for price/performance seem really lack lustre in reviews :/

Edit: https://www.techspot.com/review/1870-amd-radeon-rx-5700/

This even shows the difference I mean, and sometimes the 5700XT is already on top of the 2070 super. Not as often of course but that is a lot closer than people here seem to be suggesting.

Forza, New Dawn, BFV, WWZ, all show for instance the 5700XT above the 2070S. And surprisingly for what people been calling space heaters etc it drawers less power, only just but hey. If as mentioned above people spend some time with them then they seem formidable cards.

Edit 2: Sorry it is only 4% slower on average as per this:

Next up we have the 5700 XT and it also does well in its battle with the RTX 2070 Super. It was just 4% slower than the GeForce when we removed the Forza Horizon 4 result.

https://static.techspot.com/articles-info/1870/bench/5700XT_1.png

** Do not Hotlink images **

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Matches the 2080?

Is RT actually usable now?

What can we expect at 1440p? For example Metro Exodus at 1440p, will it do Ultra - Physx on - RTX on (medium/high?) and DLSS?

Yep, 2070 Super is a no brainer, he paid £524 for a B grade 7, he can get a brand new custom 2070 Super cheaper than that, which will give 7 and 80 beating performance.

Im not surprised Gibbo said they're flying out, they're the cards to get.

Soldato
the current 5700/5700xts have terrible coolers by the way, so you would either want to wait for 3rd party models to come out or fit a different cooler or watercool it

Man of Honour
OP
I’d imagine there’ll be a restocking fee to consider, as warranty has nothing to do with returning an unwanted item.
I am within the distance selling period (now called the consumer rights act) and am returning it in the condition it was sent. It was open when I received it. So no restocking fee should be applicable. I will have to pay postage though.

Associate
if you have the money already invested in a card id go for the 2070S its a no brainer. if i was buying new, id buy the 5700xt over the 2070s as i dont see the point in paying the extra £100 at least. the 2070s does not hammer the 5700xt, overall yes its faster but at quite a price increase. Pauls hardwares review on the 5700 will confirm that.

Soldato
In the long run, an aftermarket 5700Xt is likely to be a better card than a 2070S.
RDNA is currently using GCN optimisaitons in drivers as a starting point, which is also why they chose to use the GCN ISA with RDNA 1.
So once more RDNA focused optimisations work their way in there, it could see a nice improvement.

The 2070S is already running full pelt, considering its had a good amount of time for drivers to be optimised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom