Cycle RAGE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
It sounds more like the cyclist was cut up by a car resembling the OPs in the past and seen him after the fact and decided to take action, that's no longer heat of the moment "OMG you nearly killed me", more calculated payback.

Soldato
I'd forgot about this, but a brief update. It turned out to be a case of mistaken identity. Explains why he looked so shocked after he saw who was driving. Anyway, all resolved now. We'll, I say that, but the guy with the same car as me is still diving around like a maniac, as I passed him the other day.

Oh well I assumed you did something without realising, turns out to be unprovoked like you said.

I don't want to see the video now :)

Soldato
Dave Sherry is a muppet really. He antagonises drivers which just means drivers are more likely to treat the next cyclist poorly too. Yes, he's caught some dangerous drivers but he seems to actually get off on finding a driver on their phone etc.

That "documentary" was completely unbalanced. Shameful that Channel 5 even wasted money on it.

Soldato
so someone w/ exactly the same type of car was on the same road at the same time but then managed to give the cyclist the slip after almost killing/whatever him, just at the point where that exact-copy car was?
:-/

Soldato
Dave Sherry is a muppet really. He antagonises drivers which just means drivers are more likely to treat the next cyclist poorly too. Yes, he's caught some dangerous drivers but he seems to actually get off on finding a driver on their phone etc.

That "documentary" was completely unbalanced. Shameful that Channel 5 even wasted money on it.
Yeah, that guy needs to find himself a hobby. I know it is still illegal and it isn't something I do myself but with our legal system as stretched as it is I'd be quite happy to let the heinous crime of checking your phone in stationary traffic slide :o

Soldato
OP
so someone w/ exactly the same type of car was on the same road at the same time but then managed to give the cyclist the slip after almost killing/whatever him, just at the point where that exact-copy car was?
:-/

I don't know at what point the cyclist met the other car. All I know it was a car like mine, albeit with a different reg (hence the outcome). My car is far from unique; there are four others on my road alone.

Man of Honour
Repeating what I said before - I don't have anything against cyclists but I think roads are generally getting too busy to share with cyclists (or any kind of mixed traffic with either such big speed discrepancies or dense traffic) even though a lot of the problems are with the way drivers approach these situations. On my way to work yesterday late afternoon weather was nice - sunny but not too hot or humid which seemed to have brought a lot of cyclist out on the A and major B roads along my way to work with roughly one cyclist every half mile or so (including both directions - so about a mile apart going my way) with an inevitable line of cars behind them doing barely 10mph in NSLs and I saw lots of dangerous overtakes both cars ahead or behind me or coming around a corner to find people overtaking cyclists in a poorly judged manner or alternatively poor consideration for the cyclist from drivers just going straight past them without moving over, etc. Quite difficult to make good progress over 12 miles or so of it :s

Most of the cyclists were cooperating with traffic and pulling to the side if too many cars got behind them, etc. but they can't keep doing that every 30 seconds and make progress either.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Perhaps the answer should be to get motorists off the road.
Make a law where motorists will be fined or have to pay more if traveling on their own.

Problem is you'd need a huge change to the modern way of life especially working to make that a reality - especially a lot of jobs just don't have the flexibility or understanding from the employer. There are a lot of people forced onto the roads these days who clearly wouldn't be driving if they had a choice in the matter due to not being particularly confident behind the wheel of a car, etc. but need to for work.

EDIT: Another side to that story as well is the cuts to public transport and so on - the village I'm living in at the moment is a fair way from anywhere and they've cut the bus timetable to the bare minimum resulting in most people needing their own car these days - even though some used to manage fine with a bit more regular bus schedule.

Caporegime
Perhaps the answer should be to get motorists off the road.
Make a law where motorists will be fined or have to pay more if traveling on their own.

Exactly. The majority of B roads weren’t designed for cars (nor older residential streets). Perhaps there should be a width restriction - of around 1 metre on those roads. Problem solved.

Man of Honour
Exactly. The majority of B roads weren’t designed for cars (nor older residential streets). Perhaps there should be a width restriction - of around 1 metre on those roads. Problem solved.

Which in the short term would kill many rural communities and significantly increase concentration in urban areas causing even more pressure to expand urban areas outwards.

Soldato
I've been ridding bikes until i took my drivers license at 1½ years ago at the age of 32, late i know. What i don't understand is how absolutely crazy many cyklists are on the road. They don't show hands when they stop or turn. They cross the roads in the middle of day during busy hours like its a pedestrian walkover. Its mental really which is why I hate driving in the cities. You should be required to take a small bike license where the rules are hammered into your head the same way they were when i took my drivers license and the penalties for breaking the rules as a cyklist should be higher (i'm from Denmark so this is my reference). Btw to the muppets who is driving while on the phone and not using handfree kits.. shame on you!

Man of Honour
I've been ridding bikes until i took my drivers license at 1½ years ago at the age of 32, late i know. What i don't understand is how absolutely crazy many cyklists are on the road. They don't show hands when they stop or turn. They cross the roads in the middle of day during busy hours like its a pedestrian walkover. Its mental really which is why I hate driving in the cities. You should be required to take a small bike license where the rules are hammered into your head the same way they were when i took my drivers license and the penalties for breaking the rules as a cyklist should be higher (i'm from Denmark so this is my reference). Btw to the muppets who is driving while on the phone and not using handfree kits.. shame on you!

I'm a daily cyclist and I agree except for the higher fines, should be the same.

I'd like to know why driving instructors don't hammer stuff into new drivers heads.
A recent conversation with my Nephew who just passed his test:

What did you learn about cyclists on the road?
Nothing
So no extra bit of lessons were devoted to cyclists?
No
What do you think of cyclists baring in mind I'm one?
You shouldn't be on the road
Why?
because roads should be for motor cars and lorries and you don't pay road tax

Oh, here we go ............................................... :(

Why do even young kids think Road Tax exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom