Windows Lumia 650 user needs a Android phone

Soldato
I was hoping to keep using my Windows Lumia 650 for another 6 months, however on the 1st of this month Facebook discontinued their messenger app. Because of this i'm looking to change to an Android phone.

These are my priorities in order.

1) Something that's reasonably well built and reliable, at least to the level the Lumia 650 was. I will put one of those plastic screen projectors on it, and fit a thin impact back cover.
2) 5-6 inch screen. To be honest the 5" screen was perfect as that size fitted into a jean pocket easy.
3) Good voice quality, and works reliability as an actual phone.
4) No to much ad wear or silly apps pre-installed that are hard to remove.
5) Reasonable camera, again as long as it's as good at the Lumia 650 one was. Do want 1080p video footage however.
6) Phone is only doing web-browser, video screaming, facebook, camera.
7) Good voice quality, and works reliability as an actual phone.
8) Would be nice if it supports the latest Android version (is it Android 8 now).
9) Reasonable amount of RAM, not massive but enough that the phone can be used for next 2-3 years without upgrading again.
10) Decent SatNav built in, I have a Tom Tom but you never know when you need as backup.
11) Nice to have replacement battery, but I read most phones the battery can't be changed. Also happy to charge old fashioned way with micro usb connection.

Any recommendations, what do people suggest.

Thanks

Soldato
One of the Nokia One range, I use Nokia 6.1 for work and its solid phone. No bloat and updates quickly.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/

I definitely recommend the Nokia phones, Android One is great.

I do think at £149 the Nokia 4.2 looks a great deal. https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/nokia-4#specs

3GB Ram, Decent sized screen, battery, camera specs. This would definitely do you for a while...they are also offering a 3 year warranty on the device at the moment :) Also available through Amazon.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, I have just been through this!

In comparison to Windows Mobile, I find Android:

1. Terrible for notifications and their customisations
  2. All kinds of vendor quirks with glance, ambient display, couldnt find anything that equals Windows from £100 to £1,000
  3. Loss of live tiles
  4. Outlook client is complete rubbish, with less functionality than a Symbian N5800

Now I have got that out the way:

• Got a S7 from ebay at £130 because it has a 5.1" screen, had a play and decided I hated the additional Samsung UI and apps (Pay etc)
  • That went back to ebay
  • Then discovered Android One, so look at: 5.1 and 3.1 currently special offer at Argos (£100) and the 4.2 isnt getting good reviews
  • Or for the same money, I got a NEW 6.1 from ebay (they are EOL retail) see a good review here https://nokiamob.net/2018/04/28/review-nokia-6-1/
  • After some initial trouble with an EE sim, it updated to Pie v9 with the June updates, so only one month behind Pixel!
  • It like the 7.1 is made from a solid slap of aluminum

If you have more money, try the Pixel 2 with OLED, this was my second choice but at £200 double the money!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for everyone that posted. I spent a few days looking at deals.

Anyway I noticed Nokia store was selling a 5.1 16GB for £99, so just purchased this. I'm not sure if it's the 2 or 3GB version, but for £99 and I presume the 3 years warranty they are advertising i'll still be happy if it's the 2GB version. Over the 16GB storage will install a micro card anyway.

Did check out the deals at Argos, but the ones that were mentioned had been sold out.

Hi, I have just been through this!

In comparison to Windows Mobile, I find Android:

1. Terrible for notifications and their customisations
  2. All kinds of vendor quirks with glance, ambient display, couldnt find anything that equals Windows from £100 to £1,000
  3. Loss of live tiles
  4. Outlook client is complete rubbish, with less functionality than a Symbian N5800

Glad you think this also, I thought that Windows Mobile was better also, especially the notifications, but alas the phone is being discontinued, and lack of Facebook app support was final reason I had to switch.

Last edited:
Associate
I had the choice of £99 5.1 at Argos or the 6.1 from ebay, let's see if this ebay one keep working.

Also, I've just ordered a 735 from ebay simply to move Whatsapp to android, the unofficial utility doesn't work on the 650.

Soldato
OP
There is a 6.1 on Amazon for £125, however I preferred getting from Nokia due to warranty.

What is my best method of moving phone contacts from the Lumia 650 to my new phone.

Also have you synced your Android phone to Windows. Apparently there is software you can install that will automatically sync photos via the cloud, probably sounding a noob here but never owned an Android phone before.

Soldato
Having to go through this myself.

Got a Nokia 650 with a battery struggling to last the day (not my phone) but I've been asked to install whatsapp on it, now that's been discontinued I need to move it over. Owner doesn't want a large phone and all these 6" budget handsets seem overkill when the phone is only used for calls and texts.
My phone is still a Nokia 930. Over the last few months I've had the Barclays banking app removed, notification that whatsapp will be removed, already had my MS Band bricked (disappointed with that one). Already bought a p20pro 9 months ago and running side by side but I'm not liking it compared to windows mobile. Suppose I have no choice but to suck it up. Not found a way to move whatsapp over or any of my other info with a simple migration so I might just start again.

Associate
Migration is a BIG challenge, I have just finished after two weeks!

1. WhatsApp, this is hard! See thread below, I will cost you £5 for the app and more for an old Lumia, as the process relies on a OS hack to obtain the clear text messages. Also, you have to remove their special Whatapp version in a very specific way, drag up to remove, not via system menu. I had to wait for a Lumia 735 from ebay, then struggle with the Windows 10 update on it, took a whole weekend
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/all/transferring-whatsapp-chats-from-windows-phone/e9c922ba-2323-4334-9367-530a72e855d9
  2. Contacts, easy! Use link below and install this app, transfer the VCF file to Android, start contacts and import
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/contacts-message-backup/9nblgggz57gm?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
  3. SMS, another big pain, follow process below, its free and just takes your time
    https://medium.com/@matteocontrini/how-to-transfer-windows-phone-smses-to-android-6d5e941f3362

Associate
Having to go through this myself.

Got a Nokia 650 with a battery struggling to last the day (not my phone) but I've been asked to install whatsapp on it, now that's been discontinued I need to move it over. Owner doesn't want a large phone and all these 6" budget handsets seem overkill when the phone is only used for calls and texts.
My phone is still a Nokia 930. Over the last few months I've had the Barclays banking app removed, notification that whatsapp will be removed, already had my MS Band bricked (disappointed with that one). Already bought a p20pro 9 months ago and running side by side but I'm not liking it compared to windows mobile. Suppose I have no choice but to suck it up. Not found a way to move whatsapp over or any of my other info with a simple migration so I might just start again.

Good luck! It took me two weeks.

How about a Nokia 1 Plus, £80 with 5.5" screen? https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1240797

Associate
There is a 6.1 on Amazon for £125, however I preferred getting from Nokia due to warranty.

What is my best method of moving phone contacts from the Lumia 650 to my new phone.

Also have you synced your Android phone to Windows. Apparently there is software you can install that will automatically sync photos via the cloud, probably sounding a noob here but never owned an Android phone before.

Its pretty difficult, see my post above

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom