BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
BT just sent me an email telling me they've renewed my contract.....without contacting me -_- Time to swindle myself a deal.

Is rolling over a contract even legal in this day and age for a retail customer? It's OK to say they're offering you a new deal if you'd like to accept, or pushing you to retail pricing, but I don't recall any non commercial service contract ever rolling over like that.

Soldato
Is rolling over a contract even legal in this day and age for a retail customer? It's OK to say they're offering you a new deal if you'd like to accept, or pushing you to retail pricing, but I don't recall any non commercial service contract ever rolling over like that.

I have no clue how it works, all i know is in the past they contacted me via phone and I agree after i'm happy with what they're offering me.

But now I have an email with the subject like "Here's an update on your order" and part of the email says "You've renewed your broadband and calls contract for 18 months, starting from the date we sent this email" I haven't agreed to any renewal thank you very much.

Thing is i'm paying the top dollar right now for Infinity 2, and when I check their current deals they're offering infinity 2 for over £10 a month cheaper, and I can bet they haven't changed my "renewed" contract to reflect that, I feel conned if i'm honest.

Soldato
Update, they have no clue why the system renewed me, but i came away with 32 a month bb&LL, anytime calls and BT sport, and 120 quid gift card, better than the 63 a month i was paying for just BB/LL

Last edited:
Soldato
I recently had an Openreach engineer out to fix drop outs we were getting. He replaced some cabling and as a result of that, my modem's maximum upload sync speed has jumped from ~15 Mb/s to ~23 Mb/s. Interestingly the maximum download sync speed has dropped from ~84 Mb/s to ~78 Mb/s, and the SnR has changed from ~3 dB to ~4.5 dB.

My line profile is currently set to 68.2 Mb/s and download speeds are maxing at ~66 Mb/s, as expected. I'm going to wait 10 days for the line to settle but after that if my line profile is still the same should I ask Plusnet to increase it based on the fact the line should be more capable now?
Well it's been 10 days and, as expected, nothing has changed. The IP profile is still 68.2 Mb/s according to the BT wholesale test, despite the sync speed being much higher. Plusnet refuse to do anything since they don't think there's a problem:

My tests show a sync speed of 74.9 Mbps and a profile of 0.128M-80M. Everything is as it should be at this end.

Now what?

Associate
Hi

Just got a letter through the post offering a free upgrade to superfast fiber. Doesn't say which tier but can only assume it's the lowest one as out here in the sticks I'm surprised we can get that. Does say it's unlimited which was what I was worried about. Paying £32 a month for normal atm so is this a good offer or not? Not fussed about moving as had no real issue with bt.

Thanks.

Soldato
Superfast is BT’s FTTC product, bog standard copper wire (if you are lucky) between you and the cabinet with a max profile of 80/20. G.fast and FTTP are marketed as Ultrafast.

Man of Honour
OR engineer come and gone to move the master socket (doesn't seem like there was one at all - we couldn't find it and he couldn't locate it) having done a delete on the internal extensions and re-ran the cable from the pole to a new master socket the upload jumped up from 1Mbit to 5Mbit with noise margin to spare so probably will get to around 7 - downstream for some reason is still syncing at the 16Mbit it had dropped to but the SNR and attenuation are more than twice as good so should see around 30Mbit - still a far cry from the multiple full speed fibre lines we moved away from :( but lucky to even have FTTC most of the surrounding properties get 3Mbit ADSL on a good day.

OR engineer was good - no delay or messing around, turned up, quickly had his head around the problem, came up with the same solution as I'd thought would be best (before I'd mentioned it) and just got on with it and none of the BS I've had from some who obviously don't really know anything beyond their "script".

Soldato
They’re no worse than they used to be. I actually had to call them earlier this week and got straight through to support which was a nice surprise. I’ve had no reason to seriously think about leaving them.

Soldato
This, just switch between all 4 based on Quidco/new customer discounts.

That said I normally find BT come out more expensive even with this ultra mega best price sale, signup gift cards and Quidco than plusnet/talk talk.

Associate
I'm moving house on the 24th, I had contacted my current provider (EE) to start the transfer of the account and line switch to the new property. Last night I received an email stating the transfer had been cancelled. It seems the current owners of house we are moving to are moving their provider to their new address, and having spoken to EE today they say there is a stop order on the line, and there is nothing they can do until after we have moved on the 24th, and that I'll will then take 2 weeks from that date until we have an active line.

I can't believe they are not able to do these transfers in parallel, as surely further down the house chain, they could be without a connection for months? Any ideas?

Caporegime
If the people moving out have ceased the line (which they have) then there's not much you can do as far as shifting services goes. You can always place the order with a new copper pair and set the install date for when you move in and let the services on the old pair do whatever they need to do, and then the Openreach guy can just move the new pairs onto your socket with your permission on the install date. This probably comes with a new line installation charge though.

Man of Honour
I'm moving house on the 24th, I had contacted my current provider (EE) to start the transfer of the account and line switch to the new property. Last night I received an email stating the transfer had been cancelled. It seems the current owners of house we are moving to are moving their provider to their new address, and having spoken to EE today they say there is a stop order on the line, and there is nothing they can do until after we have moved on the 24th, and that I'll will then take 2 weeks from that date until we have an active line.

I can't believe they are not able to do these transfers in parallel, as surely further down the house chain, they could be without a connection for months? Any ideas?

It should be possible for everyone just to transfer I think - we had to convince our seller twice not to cancel the line, they were a bit resistant as they didn't understand the process, so we could take it over on the day but my brother took care of that so not 100% on the details.

Caporegime

Openreach will only allow one ‘order’ on a line at any one time, be that a transfer, active line takeover or cease. When EE placed your order they’d have sent a letter to the current occupants saying they’d be taking over the line. The occupants then spoke to their ISP to say they didn’t want the line taken over and to move their service to the new address they’re moving to. It’s a pain and happens all the time.

Back
Top Bottom