• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sanity check vefore I return my Radeon VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Pretty much all the reviews I have looked at have the 2070S far ahead of the 5700XT and even the 2060S can beat it in some games.

The first three review sites I checked all give similar to what I linked above. Not trying to cherry pick or anything but just looked through info online which I haven't seen anything close to what you are saying tbh.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/07/09/nvidia-rtx-2070-vs-amd-rx-5700-xt-vs-rtx-2070-super/

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/rtx-2070-super-review-benchmarks#nn-graph-sheet-metro-exodus-dx12

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...xt-reviewed-rdna-puts-radeon-back-in-the-game

Last edited:
Caporegime
I recently bought a B grade Radeon VII for £524. The intention was to give my son my Vega 64 and upgrade to this faster card. I will be getting either a 4K or ultrawide soon.

The R7 has not yet been used in my system and since the new 5700 XT and RTX Supers were released I intend to send it back. I have an RMA code from OcUK so just need to post it back (at my cost obviously).

I appreciate the warranty is only 90 days on B grade items. But apart from this is there any overriding reason to keep the R7 at this price or is it still a sensible move to return for the newer cards?

80% gaming and some video editing.

Will be running a 4K or ultrawide and probably a couple of spare monitors alongside too. I intend to keep this or the replacement card for quite a few years.

Just after a sanity check before asking the postman to delivery parcel. Thanks.

No one has suggested this yet, but why not use both? I am planning to use a 5700 XT to drive my Ultra Wide 3440 and a Radeon VII to drive my 4K display. :D

https://youtu.be/Yi-_T3vsv-Q?t=899

Soldato
Go for the 2070S. Faster than the VII and hammers the 5700XT and within your budget.

It doesn't hammer the 5700XT at all...not suprising Mr. Nvidia goggles can't see the wood for the trees....

It's quite close, and the 5700XT is a £100 cheaper, in time the 5700XT will prove to be the better card, especially in price/performance, if that isn't thte case already, the 2060S looks really over-priiced by the way. God only knows what reviews you've been reading...

Soldato
The 2070S is a terrible value proposition, barely a few percent quicker than the 5700XT and £100 more expensive but at least it is a bit quicker (in some games).

The 2060S is atrocious value seeing as it costs the same as the 5700XT.

Associate
Can see the 5700XT overtaking the 2070S by the end of the year. Its what, roughly 5% faster at the moment? AIB cards + driver improvements for the new RDNA architecture will give more then that easily.

Turing driver support is already mature.

Soldato
It hurts me to say that the r7 is now kinda obsolete, you would be better to get a 2080 Super in a month or two for £650, or a 2070s now if you can't wait.
The radeon 7 is still a great card, it's 3rd place in the lineup was just very short lived.
Water cooled it smashed a 2080 but that ups the cost even more.

Soldato
I am missing something here, the 2070 super is an additional £100, it is about on par with the VII, ray tracing really isn't usable especially at 4k with this card.

There isn't anything that really pushes the 2070S to be that far ahead of the 5700XT which is only about 10% behind on average with new drivers etc.

The image sharpening from AMD at the moment at least seems more beneficial. I would expect to see the 5700XT to close the gap slightly as things are worked out such as under-volting the card to allow it to clock better.

Reviews generally been hitting thermal limits as haven't done this so even that should pull the 2070S within 5%.

The super cards for price/performance seem really lack lustre in reviews :/

Edit: https://www.techspot.com/review/1870-amd-radeon-rx-5700/

This even shows the difference I mean, and sometimes the 5700XT is already on top of the 2070 super. Not as often of course but that is a lot closer than people here seem to be suggesting.

Forza, New Dawn, BFV, WWZ, all show for instance the 5700XT above the 2070S. And surprisingly for what people been calling space heaters etc it drawers less power, only just but hey. If as mentioned above people spend some time with them then they seem formidable cards.

Edit 2: Sorry it is only 4% slower on average as per this:

5700XT_1.png

But, but @Gregster said it hammers it :rolleyes:

OP get the XT ignore the pointless pitch forks against amd here.

I'll give you a good reason.

RDNA is about to become the biggest GPU worldwide, start end of next year.

The consoles make this industry tick with them both having zen and navi you will be within a ecosystem that amd have been working on for few years.
What does this mean

Faster long term GPU with optimisation at the ready with all game engines working alongside AMD.

This isn't news either.

Amd have been taking all the biggest game developers away from Nvidia and they is a very good reason for it like I said zen+navi =xbox and playstation.

Soldato
But, but @Gregster said it hammers it :rolleyes:

OP get the XT ignore the pointless pitch forks against amd here.
Yeah if you want to save money and have less performance get a 5700xt but I would stongly recommend water cooling it or getting an aib version. I have had vega 56 vega 64 and radeon 7 and if it's worse for thermals or noise than those then you are holding yourself back from extra performance

I'll give you a good reason.

RDNA is about to become the biggest GPU worldwide, start end of next year.

The consoles make this industry tick with them both having zen and navi you will be within a ecosystem that amd have been working on for few years.
What does this mean

Faster long term GPU with optimisation at the ready with all game engines working alongside AMD.

This isn't news either.

Amd have been taking all the biggest game developers away from Nvidia and they is a very good reason for it like I said zen+navi =xbox and playstation.

Oops forgot to type...
Sorry

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Pretty much all the reviews I have looked at have the 2070S far ahead of the 5700XT and even the 2060S can beat it in some games.

sorry but how many reviews have you seen? Of the 5 or 6 I have checked, the 5700XT is highly regarded and while marginally slower than the 2070S it is significantly better performance per £ because of significantly lower cost.

The 2060S is not very close.

Soldato
No ones buying blower XT’s Don’t get any AMD blower model, if your hell bent on getting one wait for the AIB cards and see how their prices compare to the super and make a more meaningful comparison then.

Caporegime
Not sure why people are saying a 2070super, 5700XT has the best upscaling/image sharpening, 1440p framerate but a decent increase in texture quality/sharpness, significantly cheaper and a month wait till 3d party designs. Watercooling is showing that it's overclocking pretty damn strongly as well and a few people have stuck 3rd party coolers from other cards on their 5700xt with a huge improvement in temps/noise.

Combine that with both consoles next year are going to be on RDNA architecture as well.... 5700xt is already very competitive with te 2070super, game devs are clearly going to optimise for it, AMD is far better in increasing or sustaining performance of their cards over time.

Right now unless you're paying for a 2080ti, or spending sub £250, I wouldn't be going anywhere but Navi, just waiting for a non blower version unless you're going to watercool.

Soldato
No ones buying blower XT’s Don’t get any AMD blower model, if your hell bent on getting one wait for the AIB cards and see how their prices compare to the super and make a more meaningful comparison then.

You mean compare to super AIB too yeah? The blower is giving the performance shown now so they are still giving a meaningful comparison. The blower isn't even all that bad if you know how to set the card which I would think most getting an XT would look online for.

Soldato
You mean compare to super AIB too yeah? The blower is giving the performance shown now so they are still giving a meaningful comparison. The blower isn't even all that bad if you know how to set the card which I would think most getting an XT would look online for.

Can you find a review praising the blower?

Soldato
@Gregster Also there are also fps benefits using pci 4.0 instead of 3.0 on the 5700XT, (which is the majority of reviews), especially in DX11 games, the perf gains are significant most time 5%-6% especially on 2560x1440.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/pci-express-4-0-performance-scaling-radeon-rx-5700-xt/

And lets not forget 2070S is heavily overclocked out of the box, with amazing cooler. 5700XT comes with blower cooler, and already shows of how reacts to downvolting.

He's not interested in facts, that's long been established.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom