What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Coming on from my wing mirror not adjusting post. I checked with another loom today so the issue seems to be with the wing mirror itself. Ordered a working one and will see how that pans out.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Awesome, lovely cars! Pics needed!

Quick shot from earlier when I was looking it over:

VqfPTdC.jpg

There's work to do. It needs a headliner inside, dash needs tidying, wiper motor wiring is an utter ****-show, some bits of exterior trim need hammering back into shape, and there's some (fortunately not perforating, just surface) rust at the bottoms of the offside doors. The cable for the swiveling headlamps needs tightening back up and the lights themselves aligned. Bits of the paint need freshening (maybe...gonna see what a clean and polish does for it all first).

Thing is, it's *crazy* how solid it is underneath. Additionally the suspension hydraulics work perfectly, the brakes are sharp and pull the car up straight, the seats are exceptionally comfortable and the car is utterly beautiful :) It's in exactly the right condition for pa and I to have a bit of fun - solid, able to be driven daily, won't need taking off the road for any of the work required.

Built in 1968 at the Paris factory as a MY1969 car, it spent a few years in Egypt of all places before coming to the UK in '73. It's been all over France in the hands of the previous owner.

Sorry the Landie wasn't recovered. :(

So am I bud, so am I :(

JRS

JRS

Soldato
It's just SO French in design. It's glorious, don't get cars like that anymore!

You didn't get cars like that then.

There was a great piece in Classic & Sportscar magazine that laid out the scenario.

Imagine that it's 1955 and you're looking for a new saloon car for between £1000 and £1500.

You're probably about to trade in a facelifted pre-war design, something such as a Daimler Conquest or an Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire. Most likely, it had a separate chassis, rear drive, a huge 1930s-style radiator grille - complete with bonnet mascot - and either a vague suggestion of separate wings or half-hearted American-style tail-fins.

You could go for something sporty: maybe an Alfa Romeo Giulietta or a Jaguar Mk1. You could try to impress the neighbours with a Mercedes-Benz 180 Ponton or a Lancia Aurelia.

Or you could recall a favourable comment a friend once made about Citroën's Traction Avant.

You find yourself, perhaps an hour later, in a dealership, staring gobsmacked at a machine that you’re not even sure is a car, but a form of transportation from the future that may well fly, float and take you into space as well.

You're admiring a Citroën DS: artform, technical tour de force, cultural icon, philosopher's muse, and yours for £1400 at the time.

Currently sorting out insurance and where she's going to live. She might not get into the garage (potentially too long, they feel way shorter when driving than they actually are!), I need to do some rearranging and see if it's going to be possible. Otherwise, I need to sort out some serious anti-scrote measures...'cause I'll be buggered if this one is getting thieved :mad:

I'm thinking a GPS tracker tucked somewhere, and maybe a gigantic ******* chain anchoring it to the coal bunker every night...:)

Man of Honour
Fitted the battery to the FD2 after taking it out and charging. I've now got the solar panel trickle charger set up which I'm sure does nothing at all, but I fancied giving it another go. At least I know the car will start on Wednesday when I'm taking it for a service.

Soldato
That one is an Avin screen and my car is an F30. Mine I’d the older Android 7.1 variant but there is an 8.1 unit with faster CPU out now and a 9.0 unit coming soon.

Didn't know this was a thing, so you can change the headunit (Which i assume is all built into the screen) for an aftermarket one in these modern beemers like the f30?

Oh wow just had a look at the Avin website, a lot of pretty cool aftermarket alternatives to Headunits whilst remaining looking stock, even the idrive for E-- generation cars have really cool "OEM" look solutions.

Wish they did something for the E85 Z4.

Last edited:
Soldato
The head unit is a separate box below the screen (where the CD/DVD drive is, behind the climate controls and button panel) and there's simply a cable linking the head unit to the screen. With these Android things you just replace the stock BMW screen, using the same cable so that it can still display the output from the stock head unit and then you add in another cable that runs from the new screen to sit in between the quadlock connection from the car wiring to the stock head unit. With the Android screens all the Android related stuff is in the screen itself so in essence you're just replacing a dumb screen with one that runs its own OS as well.

It's good in my view because there's no real compromise. It remembers the last mode you were in so if you don't want to use the Android side you can forget it's there and it just works like a stock display would (just bigger - mine originally had the 6.5" display and I was going to replace it with the BMW 8.8" display but this is a 10.25" display). You just toggle between the two modes by holding the menu button on the iDrive controller. You also don't need to wait for the Android side to boot up before the BMW side can display which was my main concern.

Soldato
That’s really cool and never knew such solution existed for these and older cars such as the e90 where it’s a sealed unit behind some Perspex, interrrresting, i’ll Be looking into these headunits if I ever get another bmw, cheers for that.

I've sent them an email to see if they have anything for my 09 Accord, It has a similar set up as an E90 with a screen that seems to be intergrated to the dash (the E90 actually has two screws that holds it in place and the unit rotates out, never knew), be nice to change the ancient screen out with a bigger usable one.

Last edited:
Soldato
What we're not doing today is having a service done at a main dealer on a Nissan Note. Just been quoted £473.85 to have a scheduled service plus a few extras such as checking the brakes and aircon as the car is now 6 years old. My GT86 is cheaper than that at 6 years old and they have another set of oil, spark plugs and an engine lift within that price!

Associate
Got my car mapped (Glanza V). It was going great until the Walbro fuel pump **** itself, had to wind the car back to 1 Bar boost :( got to fit another new fuel pump and take it back which will then see well over 300. The fuel pump was only 3 years old. You can see on the graph where its been cut back massively.

s8lqvOP.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom