Being obese causes cancer but...

Associate
I got to give it to Japan, out of all the countries I have visited they are the most healthiest I have seen.

The closest I came to fat when I was there, was a girl who would be a size 12 back in the UK. The average dress size for females in the UK is size 16, that wasn’t the case back in the 90’s. Bet they will increase the average to 18 in a few years.

Sweden, Switzerland, Iceland, Serbia and Hungary are a few other countries, if I became a personal trainer , I would struggle to find clients as most people are healthy and slim there. Puts the UK and the US to shame.

Went to Japan last year and I agree. They are so healthy. Never saw a single fat Japanese person while I was there. I felt kinda normal there as I'm quite a slim build. Back home everyone makes snarky comments to me about being "thin as a rake" and all that. But I work out and have muscle tone but you can't really tell under clothes. I'm just slim build but here I feel like here the average is much bigger so I get accused of being "too thin".

However, I work in a cancer department in a hospital, and I will say we get an almost equal amount of skinny people as obese people.

Associate
I had potato and leak soup for lunch today, made a big pot on Sunday as a starter and put the rest in tupperware and froze for lunches. Having no time is a poor excuse for eating ****** food

Exactly. It's more cost and time effective to make a big batch and save some for another day. Eating shoddy microwave meals everyday would be hugely expensive and unhealthy.

Soldato
Exactly. It's more cost and time effective to make a big batch and save some for another day. Eating shoddy microwave meals everyday would be hugely expensive and unhealthy.
No-one's making lasagne as cheap as a 1.4kg Asda family Lasagne for £3.50. They're just not. Add some oven chips and peas and it's a proper-looking meal for barely more than £1 a head.

Similarly a couple of frozen pizzas and oven chips will be less than £4 for a family of 4.

Let's not pretend we're talking about £3.99 single-serving waitrose ready meals here.

Soldato
I got to give it to Japan, out of all the countries I have visited they are the most healthiest I have seen.

The closest I came to fat when I was there, was a girl who would be a size 12 back in the UK. The average dress size for females in the UK is size 16, that wasn’t the case back in the 90’s. Bet they will increase the average to 18 in a few years.

Sweden, Switzerland, Iceland, Serbia and Hungary are a few other countries, if I became a personal trainer , I would struggle to find clients as most people are healthy and slim there. Puts the UK and the US to shame.
https://www.racked.com/2014/6/2/7595455/beware-you-may-be-a-size-fat-in-japan :D

Associate
No-one's making lasagne as cheap as a 1.4kg Asda family Lasagne for £3.50.

Looking at the ingredients, it is mainly sauce. So I think it is doable to replicate this. Obviously, I would rather spend a little bit more and make the meat to sauce ratio better which would put me over the budget.

Soldato
Lasagna and chips is hardly the paragon of heathy food, where ever it's from or home made, regardless of cost. Point is that it's possible to eat nice food that isn't massively high in saturated fat and sugar all week, at any time of the day, with a tiny bit of preparation.

Dinner tonight is sausage casserole with butter beans and whatever veg is in the fridge. Will be having that for lunch either tomorrow or it'll be frozen for a lunch next week. It's me, the Mrs and littleun, we always cook 4/5/6 portions of stuff like that unless there is stuff that needs eating the next day. If I had to guess at the price per portion, it'd be less than £2. Might do a breakdown later...

Going to the chicken shop because it's "only" £2.99 and quick is rubbish. Doesn't matter how poor and time short you are, that's not good or budget friendly. On Friday, all bets are off though :D

Soldato
I don't believe the 'it's too expensive to eat healthy' either. I may not be that great for you but pair that Asda Family lasagne with frozen veg, which is cheap and that would be a balanced meal. It's just about picking the right choices and at least doing some basic cooking.

Associate
i've been meal prepping for a while now and losing weight, i get all the weeks cooking out the way in a couple of hours and just nuke it when i want it, love it, and its cheaper because i'm buying in bulk

Soldato
This advert came on last night and it illustrates to me, so many problems here in the US - especially how the food industry targets kids;

It's essentially saying, throw away your boring (albeit probably far healthier) food - eat this because it's cool, and far better than everything else you'd ever want to eat.

Obviously, most adults will watch this and think 'that looks like a ****** abortion in a bun' which it almost certainly is, but kids don't think like that - they're far more likely to take notice of advertisements like this and replace actual food with this junk.

Caporegime
But we're talking about how it's disproportionately the poor that are obese - they aren't taxed to the hilt.

They're paying 20% tax on unhealthy foods + now the sugar tax, as well as income tax, national insurance, student loans etc. Even the poorest are milked by the government we have.

Caporegime
Sweden has plenty of fatter people.
Maybe I don't remember the UK so well.
It's definitely less but it's not quite the paradise every one thinks.
It's kinda Eskimo fat up here lol, rounder faces.
Lot of genetic inbreeding tbh. There's only 3 types of face.

Soldato
They're paying 20% tax on unhealthy foods + now the sugar tax, as well as income tax, national insurance, student loans etc. Even the poorest are milked by the government we have.

No they really arent. When you think they have access to so much in the way of services like heathcare, education, benefits etc. and where many of the poorest pay little to nothing for it, they are not being milked at all.

Soldato
Why would anyone want to be fat? I can’t stand the forced consensus that being disgustingly overweight is acceptable.

Do what you want and I’ll do what I want, which is continue to find obesity repulsive.

Soldato
This advert came on last night and it illustrates to me, so many problems here in the US - especially how the food industry targets kids;

It's essentially saying, throw away your boring (albeit probably far healthier) food - eat this because it's cool, and far better than everything else you'd ever want to eat.

Obviously, most adults will watch this and think 'that looks like a ****** abortion in a bun' which it almost certainly is, but kids don't think like that - they're far more likely to take notice of advertisements like this and replace actual food with this junk.

So that's where the Cheetos mascot has been hiding all these years! Dressing up in KFC ads, also you never see fat people in those ads. Only slim and healthy people :confused:

Why would anyone want to be fat? I can’t stand the forced consensus that being disgustingly overweight is acceptable.

Do what you want and I’ll do what I want, which is continue to find obesity repulsive.

They dont want to be fat, its the result of being lazy and eating too much.

Soldato
We can't say this because it's fat shaming

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48826850

Maybe we should tax the fatties like we tax the smokers ? or would that be fat discrimination also despite their immense drain on the NHS simply because they lack any discipline when it comes to diet ?

Peoples diet is their own problem, that said there is an argument for sugar tax (this is actually a thing isnt it?) and for subsidising healthy options (this sadly is not a thing)..... but a persons diet does not affect those around them.

OTOH people smoking spread their smoke to everyone around them and the smell clings to people even if they are not a smoker... that is my issue with it.
regarding the cost to society.... I cant say for sure, but with the price of fags at the moment i suspect smokers pay - at least a large part of their drain on the NHS themselves so that does not bother me.

Soldato
Doesn't this kind of rubbish come up every few months? I thought this was a necro thread.

Until healthy living is cheaper and more convenient than a non-healthy lifestyle you're always going to have issues.

The main issue with these threads is that you're saying all overweight people are the same, you've got lazy people who are overweight because of that then you've then got people like myself who love running, cycling, swimming etc but physically can't due to various medical reasons.

I've got Psoriatic Arthritis, at 38 I live on a daily dose of 4 x 500mg of Sulphasalazine to suppress my immune system and then codeine as and when needed to handle the pain. As for the pain, it varies from a full gym workout on a good day to complete agony feeling like every bone is broken and it flowing in wave's all over your body. Then other symptoms like fatigue. My illness isn't weight-related, it's generic and inherited.

My weight has been at a set number now for several years, I'm overweight, dieting does nothing as I don't eat a great deal anyway but it just won't come off via monitoring food. When I can exercise, which I enjoy doing my weight does drop off. Then, I get a flare up and spend a week in bed in agony sometimes so bad I actually wish I could fall asleep and not wake up.

I'd love to be up at 5 am every morning running etc before getting my kids up, fed and off to school before working all day but somedays just getting out of bed is an achievement. My biggest dream is to have my own land, smallholding, running a business from it, having the kids and their friends playing out in our woods etc but that will never happen because I can't guarantee my own body will be able to manage it.

So, not all of us 'fatties' choose to be overweight, in fact, it makes up ******* depressed as hell at times.

Back
Top Bottom