***The Official Home Recording Studio Thread***

Caporegime
OP
Easyriders suggestion above is what I would go for, it'll last you for a good while but....if budget really is a concern you could get a super cheap behringer interface and an sm57. If you're completely new to it and want to experiment you could save some money for now but will want to upgrade in future.
. :)

He certainly won’t need to upgrade for sound quality only if he wants more inputs...I increased my IO to ten on my ID22 by connecting an Audient ASP 880 mic pre over ADAT so I could record live drums...:)

Soldato
He certainly won’t need to upgrade for sound quality only if he wants more inputs...I increased my IO to ten on my ID22 by connecting an Audient ASP 880 mic pre over ADAT so I could record live drums...:)
Live drums are not on the agenda ....... yet!
Definitely going to start small and see how it goes i’ve got something new to browse on eBay and facebook local!

Man of Honour
Just had this for the band so we should be able to do some great live recordings while out gigging.
We all go directly into the PA including electronic drums so all is controllable.
It can also be controlled with a Tablet and we can individually control our own in-ear mixes with our phones - super duper Tommy Cooper

presonusstudiolive.jpg

Caporegime
OP
Just had this for the band so we should be able to do some great live recordings while out gigging.
We all go directly into the PA including electronic drums so all is controllable.
It can also be controlled with a Tablet and we can individually control our own in-ear mixes with our phones - super duper Tommy Cooper

presonusstudiolive.jpg

Noice Rodney :)

Associate

presonusstudiolive.jpg
That's cool. Do you mind expanding on how the individual app-controlled mixes work? Does the desk have some sort of digital line-level output for each channel that is broadcast somehow and you can then mix however you like on the app?

Soldato
That's cool. Do you mind expanding on how the individual app-controlled mixes work? Does the desk have some sort of digital line-level output for each channel that is broadcast somehow and you can then mix however you like on the app?

It'll just be a mixing app per band member assigned to an individual auxiliary output. Plug a wifi router into the desk, connect the phone/tablet to the wifi and open the app. Bobs your mothers brother. Pretty common on digital live desks these days.

Associate
It'll just be a mixing app per band member assigned to an individual auxiliary output. Plug a wifi router into the desk, connect the phone/tablet to the wifi and open the app. Bobs your mothers brother. Pretty common on digital live desks these days.

So in this case it could be those AUX 1-10 that presumably you press the mix button and physically set the levels on the desk, which the app can also do remotely? Like a sub-mix? I'm just curious about the 'mechanics' of it, for want of a better word, how you can have multiple individual independent mixes.

Soldato
So in this case it could be those AUX 1-10 that presumably you press the mix button and physically set the levels on the desk, which the app can also do remotely? Like a sub-mix? I'm just curious about the 'mechanics' of it, for want of a better word, how you can have multiple individual independent mixes.

Yes that's pretty much it. You'd organise it with the band early on to say have Aux 1 for the lead singer's mix, Aux 2 for the keyboard mix etc.

An Auxiliary send is just a way of tapping into the signal path and creating a submix which can be sent elsewhere - typically to some form of monitoring like stage monitors, in ears or in another case time based effects such as reverb, chorus, delay (echo) etc. You will normally find on an Aux Send an option to be 'Pre fader' or 'Post fader'. This means it sits either before or after the main mix fader. Monitors are typically set to be pre fader - you don't want the main mix effecting the monitor mix, that would negate the whole point of running them separately! Post fader is more useful for reverb effects or backing tracks. This way (for example) when you pull the main mix faders down at the end of a backing track, it's not continuing blaring out of the stage monitors, which would be a little odd for the audience. :)

Man of Honour
What Lowe says - probably :)

It's brilliant because we have silent rehearsals except for the vocals.
When we're setting up at a gig the 4 of us can have a really good loud jam together but nobody in the audience can hear us, the singer joins in and obviously they hear her and then slowly the soundman brings up the Masters so the audience hears what we're doing.
Now what's good about this new mixer is the remote access, we can leave the mixer on the stage therefore not upsetting Landlords because we're using a table and our soundman can stand by the bar mixing on his tablet.

Soldato
So...Online mastering and distribution services. Does anyone have any experience with the following:

Landr
eMastered
cloudbounce
Distrokid
CDbaby

How do you guys master and then release your music?

Soldato
Online mastering is separate to distribution.

From what I understand the online mastering is just a pre defined eq curve and a limiter which can give very very mixed results as it doesn't really take into account the source material.

If you're experienced enough to mix your own music but don't want to give it to a mastering engineer you're much better off "mastering" it yourself.

Soldato
Hi all, got a piano student recital in October. I've offered to record and edit it for my piano teacher. I have a camcorder and tripod. However I don't have a mic yet, it'll be a grand piano in a large Church with high ceilings.

I was thinking of getting a single cardioid condenser like the Rode NT1000 on a mic boom stand just outside the lid pointed towards the hammers and an interface to my laptop like the Scarlett 2i2 to record the audio. Has anyone else got any recommendations?

Or should I just get something like a Zoom H4n?

Soldato
Hi all, got a piano student recital in October. I've offered to record and edit it for my piano teacher. I have a camcorder and tripod. However I don't have a mic yet, it'll be a grand piano in a large Church with high ceilings.

I was thinking of getting a single cardioid condenser like the Rode NT1000 on a mic boom stand just outside the lid pointed towards the hammers and an interface to my laptop like the Scarlett 2i2 to record the audio. Has anyone else got any recommendations?

Or should I just get something like a Zoom H4n?

Good starting point but I'd be going stereo in an Blunheim config if budget allows. Makes a huge difference. Don't point towards the hammers, since you don't probably don't want the hammer noise. Point the mics lower down at the strings/soundholes, or even better for a more natural sound have the mics pointing at the (lifted) lid. Depending on the piano, you may need to pull the mics a little further away than you'd expect due to the noise created by the dampers on the sustain pedal. Steinway's are especially noisy, especially model A's.

Back
Top Bottom