• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 2 Owners Thread!

Soldato
Well the system lives.

That's the board I want, how you getting on with it?

The BIOS flashback utility really is an excellent feature of this MSI board (Mortar Titanium) and it updated without a hitch.

The Beta BIOS is a bit funky looking but I actually quite like it, from a retro perspective. I’ve only taken a quick look around but there seem to be a good amount of features available and my 3600 is idling at 32 degrees.

Hopefully tomorrow I’ll be able to get it fully up and running but so far I’m just pleased it’s alive.

Associate
How come the AMD chipset drivers include "AMD Ryzen Power Plan"? I thought this wasn't needed or included any more?

Just got my temporary R5 3600 up and running. I changed some BIOS settings (enabling fast boot, disabling WiFi) but nothing crazy. I did enable XMP and then the motherboard decided it could automatically set it higher, so it's currently at 3200-16-18-18-36. Got all my drivers installed so just need to run some benches now! :D
By AMD:

Because I have not seen it anywhere, the Ryzen Balanced plans have made a comeback specifically and only for 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs as of chipset driver 1.07.07. These plans optimize the behavior of CPPC2 to get the 1-2ms clock selection we discussed with the media. Any other Ryzen user doesn't need a plan anymore.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbbfce/3900x_being_overvolted_on_amd_ryzen_power_plans/

Associate
Also as per my previous link and AMD regarding idle voltage reported :

One other point I forget to mention about idle cores (as I know people will be checking on this comment for months to come) is the reporting role our onboard firmware plays in what tools read out. Presently, the behavior of the firmware is to report the voltage the cores are prepared to jump to if the processor exits idle and goes to boost. A boost voltage of 1.4-1.5V is consistent with what we've previously discussed for other Ryzen parts, so that aligns with what y'all are seeing with the idle chip. Behind the scenes, the processor is self-modulating to much lower voltages as you would expect an idle CPU to do. The firmware is not reporting the current voltage of the core until the core is awake and loaded, which is why the voltage appears to go down under load. This further extends the commentary that what you're seeing from Windows and tools is not always what's really going on.

Soldato
My 3900x arrived Tuesday and is still sitting in its' box, dam work commitments :( Will hopefully get Backups, BIOS and chipset driver done this evening

For those who have dropped a new CPU into an existing system did you reinstall windows?

Associate
Here is a LINKY! to the latest Ryzen Master 2.0 guide, as it is quite a bit more comprehensive now. :)

Is Ryzen master the key to overclocking stuff? Annoyingly it doesn't play nice with hyperV / VBS (Virtualisation based security). I need to figure out a convenient way to switch VBS on / off as I need hyperV for work stuff.

What thermal paste application method is everyone using given the different core complex placement?

I'm using a ultra thin spread of conductonaut. First time using it, thought it was fairly common but seems there is not many of us.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dont think im meant to own what i ordered lol....

Ordered CPU elsewhere on Sunday, originally told Thursday delivery, this then changed to Sunday, and as delivery was my work i changed the delivery location to home as it was looking for sunday 14th... soon as i done that its put it back to Sunday 21st ROFL... atleast i have my x570 turning up today i thought.. got the DPD delivery to pickup location email, sorted, just drove up there to get it, and guess what, its not there, drivers scanner was not working so it went back to Depot for delivery tomorrow hahaha... what a complete failure for me! no rush anyhow as i cant use the damn thing til the 21st.

Back
Top Bottom