• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
These posts are making it hard for me to keep my self promise not to upgrade until next month.

giphy.gif

Associate
Thinking of a 3700X, but with an X470 board because I don't want a fan on the board but I do want a high quality board. I want to wait a month or so to see if prices drop a bit on the 3700X, if they do I might get a 5700X GPU too.

I don't think prices will drop in a month, not with the interest that's clearly being shown, and the supply issues!

Associate
From someone who also has the 3800X on pre-order (luckily I have no rush), here's my theory.

Binned chips are needed for both 3800X and 3950X > AMD initially didn't want to announce the 3950X and possibly release it with Ryzen 4xxx next year > AMD decided instead to announce it and ended up having 2 CPUs, 3800X and 3950X, which need the best possible 8 core chiplets.

If that's the case I'm sure AMD is wishing they had just foregone the 3800X and have right now no idea how to deal with the situation.

I'm just worried that I have no way of knowing if my x570 is doa and that I'll be outside the 14 day window when the 3800x eventually materialises. It's not like I can drop my 1700 in, unfortunately...

It's odd that amd have given tracking info but presumably delayed the shipment, when you consider that review samples were unavailable.

Associate
I'm doing some tests tonight on my i7-3770, tomorrow I will do them on the 3700x. This isn't scientific but will give a good idea for those holding out and thinking of an upgrade of CPU, MB and RAM from this little system that I believe many still have.

The GPU is a 480 Nitro

Soldato
It's not so much the sound (though that does worry me) it's that fans often fail and the hassle of replacing a motherboard is massive compared to say a graphics card.

How often do fans actually fail though? I mean I've never had a fab fail yet, not sure I know anyone directly either. It's not like their the same as 10 years ago even.

It isn't much more of an issue to warranty though I would say in that just takes 20 mins to get the mobo out and could always be good reason to do a heavy clean of the rest of OC then. Silver lining and all that ;)

Back
Top Bottom