Very cheap fuel fill up

Soldato
I just went to put some diesel in at a supermarket fuel station and they only had the pay at pump open as it was after 10.30pm. Put my debit card in the slot and pin number, and then the pump activated.

Put in £30 of diesel and while filling it asked me if I wanted a receipt. Clicked yes and it proceeded to print. After filling there was no receipt so I pressed the reprint button and it asked me to put my card in again.

Got my receipt which confirmed £30. Logged into my online banking app which says £1 pending from that supermarket pay at pump. So apparently I paid £1 for my 24 litres of diesel.

No idea how that would happen. Does anyone think I'll hear anything about this from them?

Caporegime
I just went to put some diesel in at a supermarket fuel station and they only had the pay at pump open as it was after 10.30pm. Put my debit card in the slot and pin number, and then the pump activated.

Put in £30 of diesel and while filling it asked me if I wanted a receipt. Clicked yes and it proceeded to print. After filling there was no receipt so I pressed the reprint button and it asked me to put my card in again.

Got my receipt which confirmed £30. Logged into my online banking app which says £1 pending from that supermarket pay at pump. So apparently I paid £1 for my 24 litres of diesel.

No idea how that would happen. Does anyone think I'll hear anything about this from them?
The £30 will come up in a day or two. happens a lot with pay at pump.

Day or two will come out and its also handy if your low on funds but need to fill your tank up, as long as you have £1-£2 in your account, you will get the fuel, the bank will make your account minus even if you get paid say a week later but will get hit with a fee from the bank as late payment.

Soldato
I thought everyone knew this :eek:
Apparently not!

The Shell mobile phone app worked similarly, where it would pre-authorise for the full limit you had set in the app (in my case £80), which would show in pending transactions immediately, but then before it was actually charged to the account the real value of the transaction would appear and be charged, and the pre-auth charge would disappear.

Soldato
In related news... OMG I just used pay at pump with my AMEX card and got charged £99 for £40 of fuel :mad: ;)

I actually thought they had stopped this method of pre-authorising. I think there was a supermarket (might have been Asda) who were trialing charging the maximum they could pre-authorise.

Man of Honour
Tesco have started pre authing £30 for pay at pump at least if you buy over £30 worth, I thought they'd starting taking the exact amount because I'd been filling to exactly £30 until I brimmed the tank the other day and it still said £30 until it corrected to £55.

Man of Honour
Mind you I was surprised to find on my last fill up Diesel was 127p/l - I'd got used to 130-135 over the last few weeks and didn't even check until I got the receipt - around a £3 saving on a full tank.

Back
Top Bottom