• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX5700 and RX5700XT review thread

Soldato
I've heard that these drivers don't fully utilize RDNA arch yet. If that's true then we might see a pretty noticeable bump in performance once they do. But as it stands right now any Aftermarket 3 fan cooler would allow you to make out clocks (at least on the 5700).

german toms hardware already stuck a 5700XT on water and it boosted to 2.1GHz, not rock solid stable but that could be driver or power delivery issues considering the ref cards power limit.

Soldato
People have already stuck Air coolers from various past AMD cards, apparently the hole placing is very similar to that of Hawaii's. So they stuck 290 and 390X coolers on it. taking the temps to a stable 67C.
It also boosted the clocks and made them more stable.
This is becoming common knowledge though. Once AIBs start rolling out cards I would jump on it real fast before the seller sells out of them. Or just get a LS Edition and buy aftermarket cooler for it.
Hmm, I wonder if the Raijintek Morpheus Cooler will work on the 5700?

Last edited:
Soldato
This won't be the only navi card. That's the point you are missing.
5800 is rumored to be announced by end of year. And I'm sure there will be at least 2 card variants.
5900 is also rumored but nothing mentioned on a date yet.
Based on that and AMD prior history the 5700 is a low end moniker.

As said don't care about name, it's price that makes bands. Names irrelevant.

Soldato
german toms hardware already stuck a 5700XT on water and it boosted to 2.1GHz, not rock solid stable but that could be driver or power delivery issues considering the ref cards power limit.
You might be right on that. Personally, I would be very happy with 1900Mhz stable on air.

A shame but I'm thinking AMD have made the BIOS uncrackable this time. The 5700 would probably be a beast if they let you tinker with it.
Someone will crack it. But will it be worth it?? Hmm...don't know about that. These don't have dual bios. Perhaps AIBs might change the need for this.

As said don't care about name, it's price that makes bands. Names irrelevant.
I understand you now. Sure, I would also agree with you on that point. Right now they are fairly cheap with an option to "upgrade" the cooling solution at a later date. AIB variants...hmm, not sure were the price is going to land.

Caporegime
I've heard that these drivers don't fully utilize RDNA arch yet. If that's true then we might see a pretty noticeable bump in performance once they do. But as it stands right now any Aftermarket 3 fan cooler would allow you to max out clocks (at least on the 5700).

They're tweaking the hell out of Borderlands 3 for AMD cards, hopefully we'll see it's full potential there :)

Soldato
This is becoming common knowledge though. Once AIBs start rolling out cards I would jump on it real fast before the seller sells out of them. Or just get a LS Edition and buy aftermarket cooler for it.

Apparently anything compatible with R9 390-290/X works with the 5700/X.
Including AIB coolers from those cards :D

Soldato
So roughly how much faster is the 5700XT than Vega 64 at 1440p?

Seems to range from a little (9% - Division 2) to a lot (36% - GTA V).

Obviously depends on the game but what is the average increase, roughly?

Soldato
A shame but I'm thinking AMD have made the BIOS uncrackable this time. The 5700 would probably be a beast if they let you tinker with it.

don’t worry there will be new BIOS and flash techniques released for the 5700. AMD just want to make sure that little jimmy can’t fry his birthday present with two mouse clicks.

Caporegime
I've heard that these drivers don't fully utilize RDNA arch yet. If that's true then we might see a pretty noticeable bump in performance once they do. But as it stands right now any Aftermarket 3 fan cooler would allow you to max out clocks (at least on the 5700).

People always say things like this.

I've just bought one because I've got a cooler for it but I'm under no illusions it's not better than a 2070 Super

Associate
So roughly how much faster is the 5700XT than Vega 64 at 1440p?

Seems to range from a little (9% - Division 2) to a lot (36% - GTA V).

Obviously depends on the game but what is the average increase, roughly?

Seems to be about 15% overall. 5-10% or so in games that GCN already did very well (BFV, Forza, Div2, Vulkan games etc) in and 20%+ gains in games that GCN did bad in (DX11 and Gameworks/Nvidia games like GTA 5)

Soldato

Here with Arctic Accelero Extreme IV.

Personally I would be considering Morpheus Vega if was going to use a Morpheus. For no other reason as the cooler is higher than Morpheus II allowing for VRMs on chokes. On Vega 64 with Morpheus II, more than half the chokes cannot fit heatsinks due to height. (even the short ones do not fit on my V64).

Soldato

Nice comparison video showing actual fps. The 5700XT is very impressive especially considering it is running at 1708MHz while the 2070s is at 1920MHz.

Back
Top Bottom