Diplomatic Leak - ambassador to US about Trump

TJM

TJM

Associate
Which nobody has a problem with, but he cant do his role anymore now his reputation and image in the eyes of the US has been shattered.

Simple minded folk like Yas seem to ignore this because they dont like Trump, but it's not possible for him to continue in his role. Blame whomever leaked it, you cant blame the US government from having a field day with this and refusing to deal with him anymore, its utterly embarrassing that this has leaked and shows us as incompetent and unable to keep state documents a secret.
How many governments boycotted their US ambassador following the Wikileaks, er, leaks?

Diplomats make blunt assessments of the host government so their government knows what's going on. Every ambassador to the UK has probably been writing mean things about Theresa May for the past two years; they wouldn't be sent packing if found out as we aren't governed by an extremely emotionally sensitive toddler.

I do think that an early departure from the post would have been appropriate if he wasn't already retiring at the end of the year as an ambassador shouldn't be a lame duck for too long. Instead, a senior diplomat's posting has been immediately torpedoed by someone with an agenda. Not rewarding that sort of behaviour is more important than attempting to placate a volatile individual like Trump.

Caporegime
How many governments boycotted their US ambassador following the Wikileaks, er, leaks?

Diplomats make blunt assessments of the host government so their government knows what's going on. Every ambassador to the UK has probably been writing mean things about Theresa May for the past two years; they wouldn't be sent packing if found out as we aren't governed by an extremely emotionally sensitive toddler.

I do think that an early departure from the post would have been appropriate if he wasn't already retiring at the end of the year as an ambassador shouldn't be a lame duck for too long. Instead, a senior diplomat's posting has been immediately torpedoed by someone with an agenda. Not rewarding that sort of behaviour is more important than attempting to placate a volatile individual like Trump.

You said it more eloquently than me.

Associate
He's made an assessment of his host country. That's part of his job.

The job of ambassadors are to have good relations with their host countries. Doesn't matter if its a tin-pot dictator or some bleeding heart liberal. An ambassador that has ****** off the leader of a country has failed even if accidentally.

Caporegime
The job of ambassadors are to have good relations with their host countries. Doesn't matter if its a tin-pot dictator or some bleeding heart liberal. An ambassador that has ****** off the leader of a country has failed even if accidentally.

Do you think we would act similarly or the US do the same if the roles were reversed? I don't.

Soldato
OP
So you keep on insisting, but that's wrong.

It's the Foreign Office that has failed, not the Ambassador.

Soldato
Oh so we're allowed Trump threads in GD now as long as I don't make them, gotcha

All the TDS people from SC come scurrying along to add their daily dose of hysteria too I see

Associate
Oh so we're allowed Trump threads in GD now as long as I don't make them, gotcha

All the TDS people from SC come scurrying along to add their daily dose of hysteria too I see

This is a thread about the (ex) ambassador to the US.

The clue is in the title buddy :cool:

Soldato
Trump sounds stupid, but he isn't. He knew exactly what to do to make it to president.

Opponents (in typical American fashion) underestimated him and wrote him off as a joke, they all lost.

Caporegime
Trump sounds stupid, but he isn't. He knew exactly what to do to make it to president.

Opponents (in typical American fashion) underestimated him and wrote him off as a joke, they all lost.

I think that reflects the stupidity of the general population rather than the intellect of Trump.

The guy comes across as having early dementia, he's 73 so it wouldn't be unusual.

Soldato
Do you think we would act similarly or the US do the same if the roles were reversed? I don't.
Isn't that a good thing?

In my own job I deal with various different partners, some have to be treated in certain ways, some in other ways. If an email of mine leaked where I was slating the whole of a particular company I worked with then I would expect to be taken off that account. The relationship would be untenable. Add someone like Trump into the mix and doubly so.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Isn't that a good thing?

In my own job I deal with various different partners, some have to be treated in certain ways, some in other ways. If an email of mine leaked where I was slating the whole of a particular company I worked with then I would expect to be taken off that account. The relationship would be untenable. Add someone like Trump into the mix and doubly so.
I'd be surprised if your job was to provide unvarnished opinion to the Prime Minister and underlings so perhaps not completely comparable.

Back
Top Bottom