Poll: British Grand Prix 2019, Silverstone - Race 10/21

Rate the 2019 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Hi Guys

Just picked up my tickets for Becketts next weekend. Im in Block 3 row A.... Is it good being low down there or better to be higher? Too late now, but ive not sat there before

Jon

Soldato
I've sat at Becketts for about the last 5 years, it doesn't really matter where in those stands you are, you will get a great view and an awesome time. I've never sat as far forward as row A, and my preference would always be closer to the action. I like to take photos and having no one in front would be amazing, conversely, I've been there in torrential storms and watched the first 3 rows vacate to get some respite on the stairs, much to the grandstand safety steward's dismay.

I can't remember exactly which end block 3 is at, but I assume it's the last one along the direction of the track, which means visibility of the cars through the Becketts turns will be immense. You might lose a bit of sight of them coming in and leaving, and across to Village/down the Wellington straight, but it'll be marginal and there will be a big screen the other side of the track to keep an eye on action elsewhere.

Enjoy!

Soldato
Whenever i’ve GA’ed Vale has usually been pretty good. There’s usually a big screen opposite and you get to see them appear from Stowe and then race down past the pit entry/the few curves before the start line. However we had to get up at about 6 to get right to the front and plonk our seats down....

Soldato
OP
I've sat at Becketts for about the last 5 years, it doesn't really matter where in those stands you are, you will get a great view and an awesome time. I've never sat as far forward as row A, and my preference would always be closer to the action. I like to take photos and having no one in front would be amazing, conversely, I've been there in torrential storms and watched the first 3 rows vacate to get some respite on the stairs, much to the grandstand safety steward's dismay.

I can't remember exactly which end block 3 is at, but I assume it's the last one along the direction of the track, which means visibility of the cars through the Becketts turns will be immense. You might lose a bit of sight of them coming in and leaving, and across to Village/down the Wellington straight, but it'll be marginal and there will be a big screen the other side of the track to keep an eye on action elsewhere.

Enjoy!

Great!! This will be my first time in Becketts. I actually got these one stubhub for lower than face value which is a result!! Cant wait now! Will be camping up there as well!

smr

smr

Soldato
Wondering whether to take my two boys out of school (last day of term) on Friday for practice. It's my youngest's Birthday on Monday. I would go on Saturday but it's just having to lumber around with fold up chairs etc. whereas Friday will be quieter, and able to sit in the grandstands... plus 3 hours of F1 cars compared to 1 hour 45 minutes on Saturday.

Soldato
Wondering whether to take my two boys out of school (last day of term) on Friday for practice. It's my youngest's Birthday on Monday. I would go on Saturday but it's just having to lumber around with fold up chairs etc. whereas Friday will be quieter, and able to sit in the grandstands... plus 3 hours of F1 cars compared to 1 hour 45 minutes on Saturday.
If you do decide to go, my nephews (7 and 9 at the time) got a huge kick out of the Family Zone activities on the North side of the track last year. They had the Bloodhound land speed record car there and were doing a "build your own jet car" with blocks of foam, hot wire cutting and sanding. Then you handed it over for its run and they put a little rocket in it, hooked it on the wire and did speed tests. I may have been loving it even more than they were. I can't say what activities will be on this time, but it's worth checking out if you've got youngsters.

Caporegime
If you do decide to go, my nephews (7 and 9 at the time) got a huge kick out of the Family Zone activities on the North side of the track last year. They had the Bloodhound land speed record car there and were doing a "build your own jet car" with blocks of foam, hot wire cutting and sanding. Then you handed it over for its run and they put a little rocket in it, hooked it on the wire and did speed tests. I may have been loving it even more than they were. I can't say what activities will be on this time, but it's worth checking out if you've got youngsters.

lets face it having youngsters is just a good excuse for the dads to go to the zone and have a play.

If we could get away with just going ourselves and no kids in tow we would :cool:

Man of Honour
7ee6K9a.png
Silverstone
When was the track built?
Little did those laying the perimeter road to the RAF Silverstone airfield in 1942 know that they were setting down what would become one of the world’s greatest race tracks. But, well, they were! The Silverstone circuit was first used for a proper motor race in 1947 – although sadly, a local sheep lost its life during the proceedings…
When was its first Grand Prix?
Silverstone was the first Grand Prix, hosting the inaugural Formula 1 World Championship round on May 13 1950. Old campaigner Giuseppe Farina, who’d take that year’s title, won the race in his Alfa Romeo 158.
What’s the circuit like?
At the 2018 British Grand Prix, Lewis Hamilton compared a flat-out lap around Silverstone to flying a fighter jet, which should tell you all you need to know about the Northamptonshire circuit. Despite numerous layout changes over the years, Silverstone has always maintained its essential character as one of the fastest tracks on the F1 calendar, while historic corners like Maggotts, Becketts and Abbey provide some of the biggest challenges for racing drivers anywhere in the world.
Why go?
It’s hard to stop the goose bumps from prickling as you walk around one of the great cathedrals of motorsport, while in terms of atmosphere, the British fans are always reliably raucous – this is the country that invented football (that’s soccer, mind), after all.
Where is the best place to watch?
The Becketts grandstand has to rank highly on the ultimate list of places to watch an F1 car in action – believe us, your eyes will be on stalks when you see how quickly the drivers zip through Maggotts and Becketts. Further along the track, the Stowe grandstands will place you at one of the best overtaking spots, while watching the drivers chuck their cars into that corner on their own is nearly as good.

TV Times
Sky:
3xtDNB6.png
C4:
rJ3Bx5v.png

Track Diagram & Information
JLdqily.png

Weather Forecast
w5rCVOV.png

2018 Race Highlights
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2018/7/HIGHLIGHTS__2018_British_Grand_Prix.html

WDC Standings
dlT4q2s.png

Constructors' Championship Standings
WMnDdgk.png

Practice 1
tPtz4B2.png

Practice 2
IEF37Ch.png

Practice 3
cpoS6Bq.png

Qualifying
pfh9VEZ.png

Race
Mhwz5Av.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sat in Becketts in 2017 but at the back. The grandstand is raised anyway so even st the front you still get a good view. The screen is quite far away though but you can see the cars come up the hill between T2 & 3 and blast off down the straight and then pass in front of you through Becketts itself and off down the straight again so you’re rarely unable to see any cars for the whole race. Even in warm weather the breeze that high up can be cold though so bring a jacket or scarf and hat. There’s plenty of food options behind the grandstand too and proper toilets and a drinking water tap too at the back of the toilet block, although not widely signposted!

Soldato
Cheers @Shimmy as always. Silverstone normally produces a decent race, and a bit of mixed weather in qualifying should hopefully help.

I hope the resurfacing has smoothed out some sections that were way to bumpy for a track of this standing.

smr

smr

Soldato

Sounds good. Anyone parked at Dadford campsite before? Just wondering if it's going to be too congested along Dadford Road around 8-9am tomorrow. There's either that or parking in Silverstone village but it would be more expensive.

Soldato
Sounds good. Anyone parked at Dadford campsite before? Just wondering if it's going to be too congested along Dadford Road around 8-9am tomorrow. There's either that or parking in Silverstone village but it would be more expensive.
I'd say Friday isn't too bad for congestion and I'd try to park closer. Dadford campsite is about a 20 minute walk to the main entrance I think.

Soldato
As gossipy as it is, I really want to know the whole Rich Energy saga. I don't want it to damage Haas, but things just aren't right with that "company".

Back
Top Bottom